Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Stevenson Will Take 50-50 on Kovalev, Networks To Bid

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone stated Haymon is doing his job... Only a Haymon would essentially turn down his biggest payday, because someone else "might" pay more.

This is the equivalent to me as turning down an offer to play with the Patriots for a little less money, to play with the Jaguars because they offered you 100k more, maybe. That's really what it's coming down to, it isn't like someone is going to offer 3 milion then another network says 10. It's going to nearly a penny or penny bid, what a joke.

Haymon doing his job? Sure, maybe he is but he's killing Stevenson's career. I mean, the only proof you need to see that Haymon does awful at his job is Kovalev. Guy just headlined a show in Vegas no one really came to, but not only did those people pay he'll have a higher rating than Stevenson and be getting paid more in the process. As well as being P4P top 10... What exactly has Haymon done for Stevenson? Lol. Worse ratings and worse pay, Haymon doe.

Comment

Originally posted by MrP4P View Post
      It doesnt matter what promotion or exclusive network deal the fight has. Purse bid overrides all of that. Its not a valid Kovalev excuse and its amusing seeing people try to pull that card lol
      I think having the exclusive contract makes it difficult for a boxer to participate in any purse bid because the winner gets the right to make a deal for the broadcast rights. It's like guys that make 5x the money from Nike or Adidas than they do the NBA team. WHo do they REALLY work for?

In this case I think Kathy could've gone through with the purse bid because she didn't have the exclusive deal. They make the most if the fight is aired on a PBC channel-likely NBC.

If Kov doesn't want to fight tough fights anymore fans should hold him accountable like they always say they will do to other boxers that they say do the same.

Comment

Originally posted by mike1010011 View Post
        Why do Stevenson/al haymon fans act like if kovalev doesn't have an exclusive contract with hbo,and doesn't fight on other because he simply doesn't feel like it? I guess when it comes to Stevenson money>being the undisputed light heavyweight champion.
        His contract was up when they ducked the purse bid.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyBlanco View Post
          Kovalev's HBO deal isn't a problem in itself. HBO could choose to let Kovalev out for one fight if they lose the bidding for the fight. That's what commonly happens in the case of purse bids.

But in this case Duva is choosing to do what's best for the network (HBO) over doing what's best for the fighter. You can't argue that putting the fight out to bid isn't in the fighter's best interest...yet Duva won't do that. Too bad Kovalev won't stop her from doing that.
          You get it.

People here just dont understand purse bids, and thats mainly the problem. This happens all the time in purse bids. Kovalev wasnt going to be punished and dropped by HBO. Duva is doing whats best for HBO trying to gain favor.

Comment

Kovalev's HBO deal isn't a problem in itself. HBO could choose to let Kovalev out for one fight if they lose the bidding for the fight. That's what commonly happens in the case of purse bids.

But in this case Duva is choosing to do what's best for the network (HBO) over doing what's best for the fighter. You can't argue that putting the fight out to bid isn't in the fighter's best interest...yet Duva won't do that. Too bad Kovalev won't stop her from doing that.
            Bingo.

This poster gets it

But Stevenson just called this bluff so hopefully Team Kov responds.
            Last edited by Fetta; 07-27-2015, 01:51 PM.

Comment

You have no difference what the difference in purse would really be BOA. to make it this minimal only serves your own argument.

Short term, Haymon made Stevenson more money. Long term we do not know as of now.

Kov can't keep fighting Mohammedi level guys and Pascal rematches. Kov worked his way up by fighting BHop and Pascal. Moving forward, who has the better opposition?

Comment

Exactly. And folks wonder why fighters en masse are rejecting the old 'promoter-controls-my-career' business model.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
                  I think having the exclusive contract makes it difficult for a boxer to participate in any purse bid because the winner gets the right to make a deal for the broadcast rights. It's like guys that make 5x the money from Nike or Adidas than they do the NBA team. WHo do they REALLY work for?

In this case I think Kathy could've gone through with the purse bid because she didn't have the exclusive deal. They make the most if the fight is aired on a PBC channel-likely NBC.

If Kov doesn't want to fight tough fights anymore fans should hold him accountable like they always say they will do to other boxers that they say do the same.

I hear ya but it wouldnt be the first time a network allowed a fighter to have his fight if they lost the bid. HBO wouldnt hold Kovalev back, this is mostly Duva. It doesnt really matter what any of us think really, I just dont see how anyone could blame Stevenson. At the end of the day Duva backed out (For whatever reason)

Comment

Originally posted by MrP4P View Post
                    You get it.

People here just dont understand purse bids, and thats mainly the problem. This happens all the time in purse bids. Kovalev wasnt going to be punished and dropped by HBO. Duva is doing whats best for HBO trying to gain favor.
                    Yep. I don't think she wants Kovalev seeing that kind of money cause it would show how much greener the grass is on the other side. I see nothing wrong with what team Stevenson said in trying to get BOTH fighters the max amount of money.

Comment

Originally posted by Fetta View Post
                      Kov says 50/50 on table...Stevenson accepts offer but lets go to network bid....No issue with it at all.

Reason for 50/50 is for money and why not take the highest bidder.

Go ahead and spin it
                      Because he can't. He's under contract that's why. Which Stevenson and his people know but are leaving that part out and using this purse bid as a smoke screen. Stevenson is a free agent right? So he can fight anywhere including HBO right? Kovalev is not a free agent and is under contract with HBO. Why are they refusing to have the fight on HBO?

Comment

Working...
                      X