No announcement yet.

Floyds last fight in his prime?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
    I would also choose the Hatton fight. I believe that was his last fight at his absolute best physically.
    I think physically he was slightly past his absolute best but the combination of being slightly past his best physical state and 10 years experience and skill set made him the best version of himself.

Similar to Barrera in 2003. Slightly past his physical peak but still close and skill wise at his best.

Comment

• Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
      I think physically he was slightly past his absolute best but the combination of being slightly past his best physical state and 10 years experience and skill set made him the best version of himself.

Similar to Barrera in 2003. Slightly past his physical peak but still close and skill wise at his best.

Good point.

Comment

It's amazing how the check hook is extremely purposeful even if it doesn't land cleanly, it allows him to get out of corners. Shit, at times it'd hit the back of Pacquiao's head and he was still able to get out of corners. The jab to the body has become a more prominent weapon as well, or I should say the jab in general. Just too good of an IQ, even with having slowed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doctor_Tenma View Post
          It's amazing how the check hook is extremely purposeful even if it doesn't land cleanly, it allows him to get out of corners. Shit, at times it'd hit the back of Pacquiao's head and he was still able to get out of corners. The jab to the body has become a more prominent weapon as well, or I should say the jab in general. Just too good of an IQ, even with having slowed.
          Oh yeah, exceptional.

He used it exceptionally against Ortiz.

He used it real well against Cotto for the first 4 rounds, if he'd have continued to do so I think he'd have had a lot easier time with Cotto. I personally believe the fact he buzzed Cotto a few times surprised Floyd and he pushed for the KO hench he uncharacteristicly aggressive 5th round and abit of a wrecklessness. Big and rare mistake from Floyd there. That's just my opinion on that fight. Could be wrong.

You'll notice since that fight he's hasnt ever tried that again even when in complete control. I personally think that's why.

As for the jab, you likely won't remember this but we had a debate in 2010 about that and I said against Pacquaio Floyd will focus a lot on his jab and you disagreed Don't ask why I remember that.

Comment

Oh yeah, exceptional.

He used it real well against Cotto for the first 4 rounds, if he'd have continued to do so I think he'd have had a lot easier time with Cotto. I personally believe the fact he buzzed Cotto a few times surprised Floyd and he pushed for the KO hench he uncharacteristicly aggressive 5th round and abit of a wrecklessness. Big and rare mistake from Floyd there. That's just my opinion on that fight. Could be wrong.

You'll notice since that fight he's hasnt ever tried that again even when in complete control. I personally think that's why.

As for the jab, you likely won't remember this but we had a debate in 2010 about that and I said against Pacquaio Floyd will focus a lot on his jab and you disagreed Don't ask why I remember that.
            Should be called "The all purpose check hook"

Trust me, I believe you, even I bought into the hype and at one time favored Pacquiao to win. Then I started looking at things a lot more closely, and my opinion shifted in an entirely different direction to where...I didn't even give Pacquiao a shot.

I'll check out the Cotto fight at some point this week.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lords View Post
              Honestly, how the fuc can you say when his prime is? This is a stupid azz question with dumb fucs answering like they know when an undefeated fighters "prime" ended.
              No one can say honestly, but that's why this question, on a boxing forum to discuss boxing related topics with other boxing fans, was brought up. To discuss it and get different opinions. If someone knew for a fact, then it wouldn't need to be discussed would it?

As for it being a dumb question, it's not hard to see a fighter start to lose the things that made him once great. If you can see it, then he's not as good as he once was, and thus prime gone. It has nothing to do with him still being undefeated.

Fighters can still win fights even if not in their prime you know? 37 year old Duran winning the freakin middleweight title from the massive, future three division (middle, sr middle, lt heavy) titlist Barkley for instance. If their hand speed is slower, their punches not as crisp, they don't move or throw as much, their legs look a little slower, heavier, they get hit more...not peak/prime whatever.

What the **** are you here for if not to discuss boxing?

Comment

Oh yeah, exceptional.

I think the reason why the jab worked so well for Floyd was because he often switched between the jab and the left hook. Sometimes Manny could not tell if Floyd was going to throw a jab or a left hook and sometimes it looked as if he was arching the jab around Manny's guard. It was brilliant stuff and kept Manny guessing as to what Floyd would throw next.

I also thought this fight would be won only between Floyd's right hand and Manny's left hand. I thought Manny's right hook would be useless against Floyd's shell defense, which it was, but what I did not expect was that Floyd's left hand would be so effective.

Even Miguel Cotto, who is known to have an excellent jab, couldn't consistently land it against Pacquiao the way Floyd was able to. Again, brilliant tactics by Floyd.

Comment

• Floyd is probably past it but a past his prime floyd is still better than the competition.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pigeons View Post
                    The Baldomir fight.
                    Pigeons has to be ******ed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doctor_Tenma View Post
                      Should be called "The all purpose check hook"

Trust me, I believe you, even I bought into the hype and at one time favored Pacquiao to win. Then I started looking at things a lot more closely, and my opinion shifted in an entirely different direction to where...I didn't even give Pacquiao a shot.

I'll check out the Cotto fight at some point this week.
                      No in other words you saw the decline which caused you to favour Floyd.

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=479780

Comment

Working...
                      X