Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should boxing implement a 13th round if and only if after 12 rounds fight is a draw?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
    yeah I ain't gonna front, I've been trying to hold onto my zero until the right fight comes along

you on the other hand finished your career 0-4 and were KO'd by parking enforcement cops and burger king drive-thru attendants
    lmaoooooooooooooooooo

Comment

tonights draw made me google ''ideas on ending draws in boxing''

this popped up

Comment

I’m not sure it needs fixing but extra rounds certainly isn’t the answer.

But if you wanted to reduce the number of draws you could have back up adjudicators who pick a winner if the judges cannot split them.

I wouldn’t favour that to be honest as I think it just gets a bit too messy. Sometimes neither fighter deserves to lose.

Comment

That is one of the most ******ed ideas I have heard in a while. No, no, no. First, they do not have 13 round fights, because it is scientifically proven 13 is an unlucky number. That is also why you will never see a boxing match on any Friday the 13th.

The fact of the matter remains, 15 round championships is the best solution. It worked before. F*** the boxers safety and health. They are punching each other in the head as hard as they can. What does an extra three rounds matter? And only in championship bouts? Just because Boom Boom killed one opponent in a fight, they went and did something to harm the sport. That was a gross overreaction. People still die in the ring. That is the risk you take. There is no halfway decent reason championship fights should not be scheduled for 15 rounds. That is like saying football is dangerous, so just make the games three quarters, not four. That fourth quarter, man, that is dangerous. It is ridiculous. It was when they started sissifying boxing like this that boxing started to lose popularity.

The only idea worse than a 13 round fight, is a fight for any even number of rounds.

Comment

No, championship fights were reduced from 15 to 12 rounds for a reason, to expect guys to do one more after they've stopped fighting, hugged, got their celebrations in etc. is pretty cruel. A draw is a valid result even if its not the most popular one. What I would potentially like to see is a mandatory rematch clause in the contract in case of a draw in a championship / qualifying fight. I'm not sure if sanctioning bodies have sufficient authority to enforce it, however.

Comment

Originally posted by SlySlickSmooth View Post
              Let's say in a 12 round bout after the 12th a minute goes by at max and if it turns out the scoring would end in a draw instead of leaving it at a draw we announce there will be a 13th and final round to decide a victor?

Both fighters would understand that this is it, make it or break it. Adds suspense for the viewing public and we get rid of draws.

Or should championship level fights just be moved up to 13 rounds definitely.
              Why not just make the 12th round 6 minutes long?

Comment

In order to make such a change, you would first have to prove there's been more draws since moving from 15 to 12 rounds. Otherwise it makes no sense.

Comment

Nah, sometimes a draw is the right result.

Having said that, one way i could get on board with for splitting a draw is to mark 'dominant rounds', or maybe use the rounds where all 3 judges are in agreement, and try and seperate them that way. If its still a draw after that, then maybe they were just equals on the night
                  Last edited by Tom Cruise; 04-22-2018, 05:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lex_fugitive View Post
                    That is one of the most ******ed ideas I have heard in a while. No, no, no. First, they do not have 13 round fights, because it is scientifically proven 13 is an unlucky number. That is also why you will never see a boxing match on any Friday the 13th.

Comment

Originally posted by Sin City View Post
                      You could still have draws in 13 rounders with knockdowns.
                      draws are something we are never gonna eliminate from the sport.
                      I'd favor 13 rounds over 12 making draws less likely, however.
                      A championship fight used to be 15 rounds.. then they went to 12. they would have kept it at an odd number and there would be less.

I think boxing rounds are more about a fighters health then the scoring system.
                      So many fighters in the past died after the 12th back in the days. Guys still die now, but it's not as common as before.

13 rounds would be better. They went to 12 from 15 for TV reasons as much or more so than fighter's health reasons. 12 rounds + commercials fits into a 1 hour block of TV. This was done in the 80s with fights on regular TV. Now that 12 round championship fights havent been on regular TV for years, it makes sense to go to 13 rounds.

I dont think its a big threat to fighters health to give one more round. Especially since these days, refs and doctors are a lot quicker to stop fights than they were 30 years ago. They used to almost always give full 10 counts unless the guy was out old.

Comment

Working...
                      X