Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should boxing implement a 13th round if and only if after 12 rounds fight is a draw?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird. I was going to make a thread about this. I'm all for 13 round fights instead of 12. It will diminish the possibility of a draw. I don't know why it was dropped from 15 to 12. Would have made more sense to drop it to 13 instead.

Comment

• I think its a great idea.

People coming up with so many hypothetical reasons why it couldnt work as if the rules havent been changed before.

It doesnt even have to be open scoring. Why not just tally each round after the end of the round in private? Then announce a draw if it is at the of a 1 min break after the 12th?

Also, it wouldnt cut draws out completely but it would reduce them signicantly. Thats a big deal when the paying public has to wait 6 months to a year+ for a rematch. Fighters might not want to wait that long when theyve poured so much into preparation for the initial match. Cant recall one fight where both sides werent disappointed with a draw.

Comment

• I'm not opposed to straight up 13 round championship fights but the overtime/sudden death thing is a bit WWF for me.
        I can't imagine any commentator would be comfortable with the phrase "sudden death" given what we know can happen in the ring.

Comment

• Originally posted by Toffee View Post
          Fkn hell, this conspiracy's getting bigger!
          You really have no clue why Jose Baby Doc Sulaiman reduced title fights to 12 rounds .

Comment

• Originally posted by Dyl-G View Post
            I think its a great idea.

People coming up with so many hypothetical reasons why it couldnt work as if the rules havent been changed before.

It doesnt even have to be open scoring. Why not just tally each round after the end of the round in private? Then announce a draw if it is at the of a 1 min break after the 12th?

Also, it wouldnt cut draws out completely but it would reduce them signicantly. Thats a big deal when the paying public has to wait 6 months to a year+ for a rematch. Fighters might not want to wait that long when theyve poured so much into preparation for the initial match. Cant recall one fight where both sides werent disappointed with a draw.
            Open scoring was tried . It was not a good idea.
            Lou Duva made Johnny Bumphus quit on his stool after he was accidentally head butted. He knew they were ahead. That killed the open scoring idea.

Look, these bodies are not going to listen to us.
            But, the fkkrs really ruined . WBC and the American Murder, err Medical, Association were pressuring WBA and IBF to reduce title fights to 12 rounds.
            They should have settled on 13 rounds .

Regional title fights could have then gone to 10 or maybe even 11 rounds.

Hell , they could have had 13 rounds and tack in that 3 minutes in 12 rounds and argue it be the same length in minutes anyway. Plus the boxers get one more round of rest .

Comment

• Originally posted by Cobra Curry View Post
              I'm not opposed to straight up 13 round championship fights but the overtime/sudden death thing is a bit WWF for me.
              I can't imagine any commentator would be comfortable with the phrase "sudden death" given what we know can happen in the ring.
              Well, ESPN title fights had it back in the days of Randy Gordon, Dave Bontempo, Al Berstein and Sal Marciano .

Comment

• Originally posted by OCPancho View Post
                Well, ESPN title fights had it back in the days of Randy Gordon, Dave Bontempo, Al Berstein and Sal Marciano .
                An extra round in the event of a draw? Wow, I didn't know that.
                Seems a bit weird to me though. Why not just have 13 rounds from the off?

Comment

• Originally posted by Cobra Curry View Post
                  An extra round in the event of a draw? Wow, I didn't know that.
                  Seems a bit weird to me though. Why not just have 13 rounds from the off?
                  Because USBA and NABF title fights were only 12-rounders then. World title fights for WBA and USBAI were 15 rounders.
                  ESPN had tournaments then. Jessie Ferguson even beat Buster Douglas for the ESPN heavyweight belt.
                  I saw at least one fight that was a draw and they went to the 13th round.

Comment

Working...
                  X