London’s George Groves, 21-2 (16), has once again ruled out a rematch with local rival James DeGale, who he defeated by majority decision in May 2011. The 26-year-old will instead wait for Anthony Dirrell and Sauerland Promotion, his promoters, plan to contact the WBC over their decision to give Dirrell a four month mandatory defence extension.
Eddie Hearn tried to make Groves-DeGale II for London’s O2 on April 25, but Ambrose Mendy, DeGale’s advisor, informed me that Groves was refusing to play ball over the terms for the mooted meeting. DeGale is due to contest the IBF Super middleweight title. Carl Froch vacated the belt recently, with DeGale and Andre Dirrell the two men in the frame for the vacant title, according to the IBF.
Groves intends to stick to the WBC route, telling ESPN that he will wait for his WBC shot unless Hearn and DeGale acquiesce to his demands for more than a 50-50 share of the purse. "They will have to pay good money to get Andre over here and a fight against me will sell more and Sky Sports know that," said Groves when speaking to ESPN.
"April 25 is the date that [promoter] Eddie Hearn pitched to my promoters Kalle and Nisse Sauerland. I'm not going to be held to ransom though. I'm not prepared to walk away from the WBC shot after putting in all that hard work to get it for an offer I'm not happy about, I would rather wait for the WBC fight.
"I will box James any day of the week but right now they are talking about a 50-50 split. They can only get away with that because of Eddie Hearn's popularity and his position at Sky Sports. James has no commercial marketability unless he fights me. I boxed in front of 80,000 fans at Wembley Stadium last year but James has been fighting at leisure centres and shopping centres. They need to be sensible with me for an offer and at this moment in time I'm not in a rush to sell myself short." [Click Here To Read More]
Eddie Hearn tried to make Groves-DeGale II for London’s O2 on April 25, but Ambrose Mendy, DeGale’s advisor, informed me that Groves was refusing to play ball over the terms for the mooted meeting. DeGale is due to contest the IBF Super middleweight title. Carl Froch vacated the belt recently, with DeGale and Andre Dirrell the two men in the frame for the vacant title, according to the IBF.
Groves intends to stick to the WBC route, telling ESPN that he will wait for his WBC shot unless Hearn and DeGale acquiesce to his demands for more than a 50-50 share of the purse. "They will have to pay good money to get Andre over here and a fight against me will sell more and Sky Sports know that," said Groves when speaking to ESPN.
"April 25 is the date that [promoter] Eddie Hearn pitched to my promoters Kalle and Nisse Sauerland. I'm not going to be held to ransom though. I'm not prepared to walk away from the WBC shot after putting in all that hard work to get it for an offer I'm not happy about, I would rather wait for the WBC fight.
"I will box James any day of the week but right now they are talking about a 50-50 split. They can only get away with that because of Eddie Hearn's popularity and his position at Sky Sports. James has no commercial marketability unless he fights me. I boxed in front of 80,000 fans at Wembley Stadium last year but James has been fighting at leisure centres and shopping centres. They need to be sensible with me for an offer and at this moment in time I'm not in a rush to sell myself short." [Click Here To Read More]

Comment