Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rick Glaser: Canelo/Lara did 275-300k

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know how accurate this info is but PPVs have been taking a hit this yr. If Kirkland is next I expect his numbers to plunge even more, with each and every fight Canelo has the numbers keep decreasing. I say make Cotto/Canelo next no more marinating.

Comment

I honestly think this is exactly what the sport needs. These PPV's are watered down so much nowadays it's ridiculous. Even if the main event is strong, you have no support on the undercard.

Look at Oscar's PPV history

1. Rafael Ruelas (5/95) 330,000 buys = $9.9 million
      2. Genaro Hernandez (9/95) 220,000 buys = $6.6 million
      3. Miguel Angel Gonzalez (1/97) 345,000 buys = $12.1 million
      4. Pernell Whitaker (4/97) 720,000 buys = $28.8 million
      5. Hector Camacho (9/97) 560,000 buys = $22.4 million
      6. Wilfredo Rivera (12/97) 240,000 buys = $9.6 million
      7. Julio Cesar Chavez II ( 9/98) 525,000 buys = $23.6 million
      8. Ike Quartey ( 2/99) 570,000 buys =$25.7 million
      9. Felix Trinidad (9/99) 1.4 million buys = $71.4 million
      10. Shane Mosley (6/00) 590,000 buys = $29.5 million
      11. Javier Castillejo (6/01) 400,000 buys = $16.0 million

Proving it takes two fighters to make the sale. Plus when you take into consideration the PPV's now vs then in terms of frequency, are the Canelo/Lara #'s that bad compared historically to what Oscar did as a huge American draw with a large fanbase?

There should only be a handful of matches that would qualify for PPV (as it was originally intended)

People should keep finding alternative means of watching these PPV's and maybe they'll thin out.

Comment

I thought Canelo was a major star. Showtime be like whaaat???

Comment

This is exactly what's gonna continue to happen, if these guys are going the MMA route and putting PPV's every month.

Comment

That's not bad at all. People's expectations are too high because of Pac and Mayweather.

Comment

Lara isn't a superstar period. He isn't known to casuals.

Comment

Around 300k is pretty good. Let's not compare it to Floyd #s, no one else does those kinds of #s.

Lara is boring as all hell and people like me didn't pay for it just because he was on it.

Besides, canelo is not a. Mainstream star, he's a Mexican star. If he wants to be mainstream he will have to go back to regular tv to build his fan base.

Comment

Originally posted by ChampBox@PR View Post
                  Well, hopefully Cotto tells him he needs to get his ass to NY for the fight to happen
                  you put maravilla instead of lara and it does more than canelo angulo, lara-cotto wouldnt do as much...i mean canelo-angulo > cotto-maravilla... lara is just not ppv worthy and thats the reason this fight shouldnt be done yet...

Comment

Originally posted by Beercules View Post
                    They need to take Canelo off of PPV.
                    is lara that needs to stay away from ppvs, canelo-angulo did better than cotto-maravilla, and people complained when many said noname lara wasnt ppv worthy...

Comment

If it's true...

These type of fights don't belong on PPV

Comment

Working...
                      X