Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boxing? Or MMA?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a different relationship to both sports. I like boxing because I am uninvolved, while I have trained guys for some MMA situations.

People have to realize that MMA is still evolving rapidly towards a baseline. There is a vocabulary that a fighter has to have...thats a good thing because in the old days a a good jiu Jitsu player with ground skills could go far, now everyone has to know basic Jitz, striking and wrestling. There is a lot of science to the MMA game and there have been some standout fighters, like Fedorav.

Also don't kid yourself people, grapplers have a significant advantage...I don't even have to see you to be able to grab, respond tactily and take you down...a punch has to get from point a to point b, there has to be a correct distance, etc. grappler has such an easier time of it that it does not matter how fast a punch is delivered..also, Ju Jutsu has a whole bunch of ways of dealing with punches, its not just grab and take down, that is wrestling!

MMA will get a lot better as it becomes more and more its own style. Instead of practicing striking and wrestling, etc guys will eventually train MMA as a style, like the ancint Greeks did Pankethron, or, believe it or not, like the original Thai martial Arts were.

Actually the Roussey Holm fight was a seminal MMA fight because Holm showed that a Judo grappler of the highest order can be handled with good movement in the ring. Competative Judo players are very good, its anythng but just rolling around...actually Judo is a very scientific art and thats why Rhonda was so dominant.

So give mma a few years and you will see some of the subtlety that makes the art an interesting endevour...guys like Fedor with Sambo (Russian Judo) had that level of refinement actually.

I like em both. i like to train with MMA guys because they often are so sloppy and when they do basic Jiu Jutsu correctly they can't believe how effective they are technically lol... I love to watch and analyze boxing because I am detached from it.

Besides, you can't drink a gallon of beer, until you have rolls of fat and liquid plumbing up and down like a bag of jizz in your belly, scrunch said rolls into a too small tap out shirt, put a beenie on your pinhead and get into a bru haha in walmart as a boxing fan.
    Last edited by billeau2; 12-11-2015, 05:39 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
      I have a different relationship to both sports. I like boxing because I am uninvolved, while I have trained guys for some MMA situations.

People have to realize that MMA is still evolving rapidly towards a baseline. There is a vocabulary that a fighter has to have...thats a good thing because in the old days a a good jiu Jitsu player with ground skills could go far, now everyone has to know basic Jitz, striking and wrestling. There is a lot of science to the MMA game and there have been some standout fighters, like Fedorav.

Also don't kid yourself people, grapplers have a significant advantage...I don't even have to see you to be able to grab, respond tactily and take you down...a punch has to get from point a to point b, there has to be a correct distance, etc. grappler has such an easier time of it that it does not matter how fast a punch is delivered..also, Ju Jutsu has a whole bunch of ways of dealing with punches, its not just grab and take down, that is wrestling!

MMA will get a lot better as it becomes more and more its own style. Instead of practicing striking and wrestling, etc guys will eventually train MMA as a style, like the ancint Greeks did Pankethron, or, believe it or not, like the original Thai martial Arts were.

Actually the Roussey Holm fight was a seminal MMA fight because Holm showed that a Judo grappler of the highest order can be handled with good movement in the ring. Competative Judo players are very good, its anythng but just rolling around...actually Judo is a very scientific art and thats why Rhonda was so dominant.

So give mma a few years and you will see some of the subtlety that makes the art an interesting endevour...guys like Fedor with Sambo (Russian Judo) had that level of refinement actually.

I like em both. i like to train with MMA guys because they often are so sloppy and when they do basic Jiu Jutsu correctly they can't believe how effective they are technically lol... I love to watch and analyze boxing because I am detached from it.

Besides, you can't drink a gallon of beer, until you have rolls of fat and liquid plumbing up and down like a bag of jizz in your belly, scrunch said rolls into a too small tap out shirt, put a beenie on your pinhead and get into a bru haha in walmart as a boxing fan.

"MMA will get a lot better as it becomes more and more its own style. Instead of practicing striking and wrestling, etc guys will eventually train MMA as a style, like the ancint Greeks did Pankethron, or, believe it or not, like the original Thai martial Arts were. "

MMA will most likely not become is own style, doing so you wont get the refined skill levels that are in the separate arts itself.

Getting the best boxing/Mt/wrestling Jui jitsu...etc...is key .Not exactly in an all in one package ,because you need the separate stylists to excel.Bringin people in different arts in your camp to fight is necessary...self defence sysems like Krav maga are mashed techniques from other arts,but they are taught basically by Martial artist of some back ground of mainly striking,that really uses illegal techniques so I don't really see that as MMa.

The first style to go in UFC was Shoot fighting..the kickboxing/submission hybrid.You have mix styles that are already formed...like that...but...MMA will never in my eyes be a style in itself.You need the best of certain disciplines to work with now...having just them all mashed under one art called MMA is not going to happen imop.

Being an MMa fighter or stylist is different from having lineage in other arts.i think you know this. Making MMa an art in itself I highly doubt is workable since its a sport...fighting sytstems such as Shootfighting/lutra livre/Pankration..are forms of MMa...MMa is not an art and I don't see it happening. MMA is certainly an effective fighting system but theres a difference between systems and arts.

Everything else I would agree with.
      Last edited by juggernaut666; 12-11-2015, 06:30 PM.

Comment

• Seeing some former boxing purists nuthug a fad like mma is disgusting.

Comment

• Im a combat sports fan. MMA, Kickboxing/MT and Boxing are the ones that I love. I have fought in MMA and would like to try Kickboxing or Muay Thai and Boxing too in the future. I dont like the elitism between the sport purists though, annoys me a lot, but it is what it is

I just like to watch good fights happening.

Comment

• Originally posted by Disturbed View Post
            Im a combat sports fan. MMA, Kickboxing/MT and Boxing are the ones that I love. I have fought in MMA and would like to try Kickboxing or Muay Thai and Boxing too in the future. I dont like the elitism between the sport purists though, annoys me a lot, but it is what it is

I just like to watch good fights happening.
            Yea, it's largely unnecessary, but since it's unavoidable, I embrace it and represent boxing.

Comment

• I just like blood sports,never liked football or soccer

Boxing is No. 1 for me in any scenario and I'd only pay for boxing ppv's aswell

Comment

• I'm straight like a freeway so I have no interest in mma.

Comment

• Originally posted by Furn View Post
                  I'm straight like a freeway so I have no interest in mma.

Comment

• Boxing obviously, we're on a boxing forum you get better striking. But the UFC is the doing and offering what boxing isn't.

Consistent fights against the best, single champions, less weight divisions, no useless mandatories only fights against the next best guy, incentive based contracts that reward exciting fights, less robberies and politics and undercards that are absolutely stacked, I don't remember the last great undercard boxing had with more than one good fight.

UFC as a promotional outfit is doing what all boxing fans what boxing to do.

Comment

• It's hard for me to get behind a sport (MMA) that any shlub can master. A lot of these boxers have been boxing since they were kids, or it runs in their families. It isn't a case where some guy is sitting on a bar stool and decides to make a career change. Tyson Fury put it the ****ing absolute best, "MMA is for white kids that can't box."

Bet.

Comment

Working...
                      X