No announcement yet.

Boxing? Or MMA?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RoyJonesJrp4pno1 View Post
    In MMA you can only fight whoever had the same promoter. So often they don't fight the best.
    With a username like that, I am interested in your thoughts here.

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=670586

Comment

• Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post
      Boxing also requires you to adapt to be successful. It's a physical chess game.
      Well sure. There is adaption in all sports to some degree I'm sure & many sports are physical chess games.

The level of adaption needed in MMA is much greater. Someone can punch you, kick you, elbow you, knee you or shoot your leg & throw your ass on the ground & choke your ass out. You can't just use one fighting style in MMA. You need training in many disciplines in MMA & need to be able to neutralize those different disciplines.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
        Well sure. There is adaption in all sports to some degree I'm sure & many sports are physical chess games.

The level of adaption needed in MMA is much greater. Someone can punch you, kick you, elbow you, knee you or shoot your leg & throw your ass on the ground & choke your ass out. You can't just use one fighting style in MMA. You need training in many disciplines in MMA & need to be able to neutralize those different disciplines.
        There is more intricacy in boxing variations than disciplines in mma.

Comment

There is more intricacy in boxing variations than disciplines in mma.
          This seems like an apple to oranges comparison to what I said. MMA has more disciplines therefore there are levels of intricacy in all those disciplines too. If boxing does have more intricacy in the one discipline involved in boxing vs the multiple disciplines in the MMA its only because MMA is still evolving & would still at some point surpass boxing. I'd contend MMA is more intricate now just due to all the disciplines.

Comment

This seems like an apple to oranges comparison to what I said. MMA has more disciplines therefore there are levels of intricacy in all those disciplines too. If boxing does have more intricacy in the one discipline involved in boxing vs the multiple disciplines in the MMA its only because MMA is still evolving & would still at some point surpass boxing. I'd contend MMA is more intricate now just due to all the disciplines.
            mma won't surpass boxing. All disciplines have depth, but no single discipline in mma will be as intricate on such a high level as boxing because of its dependency on multiple disciplines and the attention each requires to sustain at a high level.

Comment

• BOTH! But I lean towards Boxing a little more of course. Cormier vs Gustaffson was a good fight last night as well

Comment

• Originally posted by sicko View Post
                BOTH! But I lean towards Boxing a little more of course. Cormier vs Gustaffson was a good fight last night as well
                I watched both and DC vs Gustavson was shyte compared to the Postol/ Matthysse fight. I say that as someone who has watched mma avidly for near 15 years, and kickboxing before that. Boxing was the one to watch last night.

Comment

• Watching the bums and women in MMA has been really entertaining as of late. In boxing the bums are never fun, and at the moment too many feather dusters, negative fighters that yea, as much as I don't like to say it, I have been enjoying MMA more.

Comment

mma won't surpass boxing. All disciplines have depth, but no single discipline in mma will be as intricate on such a high level as boxing because of its dependency on multiple disciplines and the attention each requires to sustain at a high level.
                    I definitely think you are wrong about MMA surpassing boxing. It seems like the trend is for younger people to watch MMA more than boxing already so as the older boxing audience dies down & the young people now start having kids of their own that start watching MMA as 5 yr olds with dad it'll become more popular. It'll take awhile though. Nothing for us to be considered with & its speculation either way, but there are trends already in play.

And obviously when you got only one discipline you are gonna work it at a higher level. Didn't disagree with that. I said there is more going on in MMA & as MMA evolves more (only been around in its current organized form for 20+ years) the level of skill you will need in multiple disciplines will overall make for a more intricate battle of strategies, skills & counter moves. I still says it already is. Its easier to win a boxing fight than a MMA fight vs a random opponent just cuz your opponent has more options to attack or neutralize you. You can see prove of that just in all the upsets that happen in MMA. Some of that is just about more competitive fights happening I'm sure, but its also a natural byproduct of fighters having more options.

Comment

I definitely think you are wrong about MMA surpassing boxing. It seems like the trend is for younger people to watch MMA more than boxing already so as the older boxing audience dies down & the young people now start having kids of their own that start watching MMA as 5 yr olds with dad it'll become more popular. It'll take awhile though. Nothing for us to be considered with & its speculation either way, but there are trends already in play.

And obviously when you got only one discipline you are gonna work it at a higher level. Didn't disagree with that. I said there is more going on in MMA & as MMA evolves more (only been around in its current organized form for 20+ years) the level of skill you will need in multiple disciplines will overall make for a more intricate battle of strategies, skills & counter moves. I still says it already is. Its easier to win a boxing fight than a MMA fight vs a random opponent just cuz your opponent has more options to attack or neutralize you. You can see prove of that just in all the upsets that happen in MMA. Some of that is just about more competitive fights happening I'm sure, but its also a natural byproduct of fighters having more options.
                      MMA is very restricted to a few countries. It doesn't really have a big following outside of America and Brazil. Boxing is an international sport.

But yes, UFC, does very very well. Obviously UFC delivers its fans a MUCH MUCH better product than any boxing fan can ever receive. Personally, I think MMA can be cool, but it tends to be much more of a given. You know what you are getting with a MMA fight, and a lot of it can be boring, the wrestling bits.

Boxing has high highs and low lows, and that is the reason you will never have MMA fights on repeat on ESPN, like boxing. The classic UFC fights are nothing compared to a great boxing fight. That will never change.

But UFC is run to deliver the best possible product, few weight classes, all the best matchups on a monthly basis, and tons of cards on each PPV. Boxing is the opposite, it is run so poorly, millions of belts, no one fights anyone else, lots of ducking and lots of overmatched fights.

Comment

Working...
                      X