No announcement yet.

Boxing? Or MMA?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Slip Stream View Post
    It's hard for me to get behind a sport (MMA) that any shlub can master. A lot of these boxers have been boxing since they were kids, or it runs in their families. It isn't a case where some guy is sitting on a bar stool and decides to make a career change. Tyson Fury put it the ****ing absolute best, "MMA is for white kids that can't box."

Bet.
    Great post. well said.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
      I much prefer boxing or even Muay Thai to mma. ESPN used to show bouts from the stadiums in Thailand with some great action, it would be cool if they started doing that again.

In comparison the level of striking in mixed martial arts is atrocious for the most part.

That's classic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
        Muay Thai's an amazing sport to watch. Massive skill level involved and there's an air of brutality about it as well, even moreso than in boxing.

When two Muay Thai fighters start trading elbows you know some serious shit is going down. Can't quite say the same for when you see two MMA fighters rolling around in their underwear.

Good post.

Well said.
        Last edited by LoadedWraps; 01-16-2016, 01:19 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by marvelousmatt View Post
          Will you please stop?

She would get killed by any dude over 175 lbs that could fight at all.
          Exactly. Anyone suggesting otherwise is being an idiot.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ryn0 View Post
            Boxing obviously, we're on a boxing forum you get better striking. But the UFC is the doing and offering what boxing isn't.

Consistent fights against the best, single champions, less weight divisions, no useless mandatories only fights against the next best guy, incentive based contracts that reward exciting fights, less robberies and politics and undercards that are absolutely stacked, I don't remember the last great undercard boxing had with more than one good fight.

UFC as a promotional outfit is doing what all boxing fans what boxing to do.
            This.

It's why that even though I'm a long time boxing fan, I'm recently starting to get into MMA.

Comment

• Boxing... Always ! I don't mind the UFC showdowns as a side dish though ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Superbee View Post
                Boxing... Always ! I don't mind the UFC showdowns as a side dish though ...
                Well said.

I haven't watched the ufc in years and don't plan to, but I can see the appeal in catching some fights now and then.

Fortunately with PBC, now we have a steady stream of fights to look forward to in boxing.

Comment

• One thing I've noticed is the perception from a lot of boxing fans that UFC fighters and execs don't have any respect for the sweet science, when in reality plenty of them follow boxing to a healthy extent. I started listening to Joe Rogan's podcasts lately and I think a lot of people would be shocked just how much of a boxing aficionado he is. I was listening to one the other day where he had some other guys on and they were discussing the GGG/Andre Ward/Kovalev situation.

I don't see why fans on either side of the fence have to be so antagonistic towards one another. Honestly there are plenty of UFC matches that don't go to the ground at all, and are pure striking. The fight this Sunday (for free on Fox I might add) between Dillashaw and Cruz will be between two guys that are primarily strikers. Their skills may not be Pernell Whittaker-esque, but they both try their best to incorporate dynamic footwork, angles and movement into their games.

I'd recommend that fight to a boxing fan who wants to see some decent stand-up in MMA.

Comment

• I voted boxing purist cause only fights I watch of mma are UFC and thats not the world of mma and on top of that I only watch like rhonda fights and now mcgregor fights and if that cain dude fights him but thats about it and those I dont even watch em all, if their is any kind of boxing card going on I chose the boxing card even though I have access to all PPV events.

Comment

• The way boxing and the actual fighters are moving towards, i slowly lean more and more to enjoying UFC/MMA more than boxing.

Boxers are becoming divas who just care about money, who rather fight the Rod Salkas and not fight the best. Unifying titles, fighting the best, being the #1 in a division doesnt mean much anymore. More and more divas in the sport, thanks to Haymon and overpaying his fighters the sport turns into shi.t slowly. At first it was just a couple divas here and there but nowadays its more like 80% divas and maybe 20% real fighters. It's saddening to see your beloved hobby slowly dying and so many fools not seeing it and defending said circumstances.

Comment

Working...
                      X