Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Haymon be forced to work with Oscar De La Hoya and HBO?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haymon will probably have no choice but to work with Dela Hoya, even if only for the time being. I don't know how far TMT has gone in being able to promote fights effectively. Starting from scratch is no easy task.

Comment

Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
      It's costs a lot to run a major promotional company, I read figures like $6 million a year, and it's generally a high risk business. Speculating, but I genuinely don't think FMJ cares enough to get in that deep with promoting to risk the money he earned fighting.
      Why would you say that? To me it looks like he's setting up for life after boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by PBP View Post
        He has too. Peter Quillin has no opponents. The Charlos have no opponents. Top Rank has all the featherweight belts. His stable isn't deep enough to separate himself from the rest of the boxing world. People will get tired of these mismatches.

How many times can you recycle Gabe Rosado?
        I don't think haymon minds working with other promoters. And honestly arum and top rank has nothing to offer his stable of fighters. Last I checked he doesn't manage any feather weights on the world level. What remains to be seen is if he chooses to work with golden boy headed by Oscar sans Schafer. I think he will, but he doesn't have to.

Comment

Originally posted by dc3383 View Post
          Mayweather Promotions is where they all would go that's easy to see.
          Mayweather doesn't have a promoter's license. 50 Cent does and so does Jay Z's Roc Nation if I'm not mistaken.

The other promoters (DLH, TR, Main Events, Dibella, King, etc) aren't really big fans of Haymon but if they can make money from partnering with him, I'm sure they'd let bygones be bygones. Will be interesting to see how the Main Events lawsuit comes out though.

Comment

I hope Oscar and Al Haymon can do business together so they can do fights on HBO and Showtime. If they do business together they can start with the Canelo vs Lara undercard. But I can see Al Haymon taking his fighters to Mayweather and bringing Schaefer with them. Oscar has no choice but to work with Arum with his limited roster. As the CEO of GBP Schaefer f##ked Oscar by not signing these fighters to GBP.

Comment

All I know is that al haymon won't be forced to do anything he doesn't want to..

This will be interesting to see how this situation develops...

Comment

Originally posted by ThePrince View Post
                Mayweather doesn't have a promoter's license. 50 Cent does and so does Jay Z's Roc Nation if I'm not mistaken.

The other promoters (DLH, TR, Main Events, Dibella, King, etc) aren't really big fans of Haymon but if they can make money from partnering with him, I'm sure they'd let bygones be bygones. Will be interesting to see how the Main Events lawsuit comes out though.
                The only thing is they might struggle to get TV dates if he goes with a smaller promoter (not named GBP or TR). Haymon consistently took his clients to Showtime robbing HBO of big names and fights so he's not going to be welcome back to HBO in a hurry. Not to mention all the low value big money deals he managed to screw out of them for Berto etc.

If Haymon takes Golden Boy's fighters away, Golden Boy will be able to lean on Showtime not work with him or risk losing GBP taking their business to HBO.
                Last edited by Weebler I; 05-21-2014, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DempseyRollin View Post
                  I don't think haymon minds working with other promoters. And honestly arum and top rank has nothing to offer his stable of fighters. Last I checked he doesn't manage any feather weights on the world level. What remains to be seen is if he chooses to work with golden boy headed by Oscar sans Schafer. I think he will, but he doesn't have to.
                  I guess if Russell beats Lomachenko he has fights with Mares and Santa Cruz on the table. But that will only keep him busy for so long.

Plus his fighters from 147-160 would love fights with Pacquiao, Marquez and Canelo who aren't under his banner. Floyd can't fight all 10-12 of Haymons fighters from 140-154.

I think it hurts their careers by being isolated if that's what the plan is.

Comment

Originally posted by PBP View Post
                    He has too. Peter Quillin has no opponents. The Charlos have no opponents. Top Rank has all the featherweight belts. His stable isn't deep enough to separate himself from the rest of the boxing world. People will get tired of these mismatches.

How many times can you recycle Gabe Rosado?
                    He had a couple of opponents that were right around or better Konecy's level when he picked his opponent.

Mora, Truax, Macklin.... and somebody else.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                      All I know is that al haymon won't be forced to do anything he doesn't want to..

This will be interesting to see how this situation develops...
                      He's clearly a highly intelligent guy but he may have pushed things a step too far.

He has HBO offside, he has a lawsuit pending with Main Events, messy situation with Golden Boy which is coming out, he has Top Rank offside, the big $32m Sho deal is not sounding as successful as hoped and his main ally Schaefer may no longer be in the game. The fans too are associating his name with not getting what the fights they want.

Things are turning on him just a little, you can only lose so many friends in business.
                      Last edited by Weebler I; 05-21-2014, 10:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X