Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Greatness of Wladimir Klitschko

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You lot complain about the weak Klitschko era, yet you have no problems declaring Ali's era The golden Age, yet half of Ali's opponents wouldn't be allowed as HWs nowadays. The same experts who calculated that Marciano is the heavyweight champ with the highest KO'ratio would turn away from the TV sets if Klitschko's KO victims would be a median at 190 lbs.

What if Wladimir chose 40 of his 49 opponents to be cruisers (200 lbs and below) or chose 49 of his 49 opponents to be cruisers, former cruisers and bums (yes, that's Marciano's record in a nutshell).

The same fans who measure Wladimir Klitschko against previous oh-so-great champs would be appalled if Wladimir Klitschko actually fought opponents like those champs fought.

Joe Louis can hold such records because included in his 26 title wins are opponents like Billy Conn 174 lbs and bums like Tony Musto (37-30).

Revise your rose tainted glasses.

Comment

• Originally posted by Weltschmerz View Post
      Wladimir Klitschko transformed heavyweight boxing. His performance against Leapai last night cemented this. His jab, footwork, defense and offense were all immaculate and incomparable. No style works against him.

He proved uppercuts, combos, feinting, swarming etc to be near-worthless (in the case of his opponents) and unnecessary (in the case of himself). Thus by his perfect minimalistic-seeming technique he actually shows how bad previous generations of boxers were who could win with such techniques like feinting and combos.

Wladimir is the blueprint for what strategies work (in his case) and don't work (in his opponents' case). Wladimir Klitschko is the measuring stick for champions of the past and future.
      Like Atlas said hiss ko losses came against low tuer opposition. He looks great in today's weak weak era thats it. Not his fault but still u cant ignore it.

Comment

• I wish james toney was a little younger because he would prove how **** wald really is

Comment

• Originally posted by Red Cyclone View Post
          Floyd Patterson...
          Joe Frazier...
          Bob Foster...
          Archie Moore...

Grade A fighters...?
          Dude you are embarrassing yourself right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Weltschmerz View Post
            I rank Ali highly, make no mistake. I just do not necessarily think Ali fought much better opposition than Wladimir.
            Wait, wait....hold up...are you serious or just trolling?

you really don't want me to go into the level of opponent Ali faced in the ring, much of it past his ring best compared to what Wlad has on his resume

Comment

• Originally posted by Freedom2014
              And Billy Conn started at lightweight 135.

Even though he was much smaller, Joe Louis is given a lot of credit for beating him, while Wlad is given NO credit for beating Chris Byrd, who started at light heavyweight and soon moved up to heavyweight.
              Is Byrd not often referred to as Wlad's best win?

What you're saying is simply not true.

Comment

And Billy Conn started at lightweight 135.

Even though he was much smaller, Joe Louis is given a lot of credit for beating him, while Wlad is given NO credit for beating Chris Byrd, who started at light heavyweight and soon moved up to heavyweight.
                Byrd was a skilled, fast boxer and Wlad just took him apart, bloodied him too.

Comment

Floyd Patterson was very good from 1956 to the early 1960s, but was somewhat faded by the time Ali fought him.

Archie Moore is considered a good win for Ali at age 47 in Nov 1962, but the boxing history "experts" say he was "too old" to be considered a good win for Marciano when he was age 38 in 1955.
                  Who on earth considers Moore a good win for Ali?

I think you mean Moore is considered a good win for Marciano? (It shouldn't be, mind you)

Comment

Floyd Patterson was very good from 1956 to the early 1960s, but was somewhat faded by the time Ali fought him.

Archie Moore is considered a good win for Ali at age 47 in Nov 1962, but the boxing history "experts" say he was "too old" to be considered a good win for Marciano when he was age 38 in 1955.
                    Nobody and I mean nobody at the time or since thought Archie Moore was anything but a shell of the shell of his former self at the time and everyone knew Clay would whoop him.

Comment

• This thread makes my head hurt. This place has officially reached ESB levels of stupidity.

Comment

Working...
                      X