No announcement yet.

Cuauhtemoc1520's take on Canelo vs Angulo

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by A-Wolf View Post
    Agree with most of your appraisal except for giving too much special credit to Team Canelo for drafting any sort of game plan. Canelo only fights one way.
    You couldn't be more wrong and need to re-watch the Trout fight. Canelo's main criticism was that he doesn't come forward. Against trout he was back peddling and some say running because he gassed.

It would have been easy for Canelo's team to just ask him to counter punch and move the way he did towards the end of the Trout fight. Instead they took on a riskier game plan and even Malignaggi pointed it out.

To come forward and bully the bully. Especially against a pressure fighter like Angulo.

I said the name "Toe to Toe" for the fight card is BS because Canelo won't stand in front of Perro, and that's exactly what he did and dominated.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
      He didn't come out throwing anything. Canelo came out and threw a brutally accurate and powerful leaping left hook that clearly rattled Angulo momentarily and set the tone for who's power and handspeed is superior, therefore, who the superior fighter is. Once Canelo established even further that he's the boss, by putting up a high guard that could not be penetrated, followed by those bodyshots, it was over from round 1 and it was just a matter of for how long would Virgil Hunter or Tony Weeks/Ringside docs would let the punishment go on. They let it go on for a very long time IMO.

In Rigondeaux vs Donaire round 1, just seconds into the bell, look how Rigondeaux set the tone with the straight left that backed up Donaire and rattled him enough to show Donaire that he will have the handspeed advantage and that if you get caught slipping he can put you down. Immediately after that left hand, Donaire was in shock since round 1 and afraid to engage for 11 rounds. That first punch your opponent throws at you with such speed and power that leaves in shock is mentally damaging in a fight. You would only know how discouraging this is if it happened to you. Similar thing happened in Mosley-Margarito.
      so canelo landed one punch and angulo threw arm punches for the rest of the fight? makes no sense. comparing angulo's style to donaries? pretty sure donaire has always been a lay back and wait counter puncher and angulo has always been a come forward pressure fighter. you still haven't explained why angulo wasn't throwing punches properly, why he wasn't turning his hooks over, why he was hitting with the inside of the glove. because he was afraid to get hit? why would he throw at all then? a turned over left hook is the perfect punch to split a high guard yet angulo wasn't turning them over. even when he had canelo on the ropes with a high guard and was in no danger he was throwing arm punches and landing just with no power. it was a fix.
      Last edited by daggum; 03-10-2014, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
        You couldn't be more wrong and need to re-watch the Trout fight. Canelo's main criticism was that he doesn't come forward. Against trout he was back peddling and some say running because he gassed.

It would have been easy for Canelo's team to just ask him to counter punch and move the way he did towards the end of the Trout fight. Instead they took on a riskier game plan and even Malignaggi pointed it out.

To come forward and bully the bully. Especially against a pressure fighter like Angulo.

I said the name "Toe to Toe" for the fight card is BS because Canelo won't stand in front of Perro, and that's exactly what he did and dominated.
        My friend, do you seriously think Canelo Alvarez could have actually "counter punch and moved" his way through the Angulo fight? Come on now. Trout is Trout. Angulo is Angulo. He had no choice but to engage.

Comment

Originally posted by FrankieClutch View Post
          Why the hell would Angulo take 10 rounds of punishment and keep coming forward if it was fixed? Wouldn't he have just acted hurt after getting hit with one of those bombs, drop to a knee and call it an early night?

it was fixed

that's how badass mexicans are...they'll at least give you some of your money's worth

Comment

I was there. I took my girl to the fight. We're both black I'm from central California and the Bay Area. So I have grown up watching. What happens when you put two Mexicans in the ring. Under the lights on ppv. Fireworks! I was sitting down in my barbershop. Getting my hair cut, got on Craigslist. Found two tickets. Had to go see this in person. I'll say the two big take aways from the fight. Was it was all riding on Canelo and he knew and 80% of the crowd knew it. I'm an Angulo fan love the guy. I even threw some cash down on him. 200 for the win and another bill on the knockout. Hey I'm the guy who had Tim Bradley. When the Manny robbery happened. It was worth the gamble. Take away one. It wasn't that Angulo was throwing with power. It was from the opening bell Canelo was coming out for the knock out or he was gonna get knocked out trying. All the Mexican people in my section. Said they are for Canelo but if loses they want come support him again. So why Canelo was fighting for his career as the next ppv superstar. Angulo was there just to survive maybe get a another shot on ppv undercard or something maybe headline Another non ppv. He was there for the check. Take away two. I don't know where Canelo goes from here. He's in horrible shape. So 154 ain't happening. What is he gonna do at 160 is the big question. Great night enjoyed the fight. On a sidenote. I knew the Angulo contingent was gonna turn up. So we where up and gone before the first beer hit the ground lol.

Comment

Why do you think Angulo, and even Hunter, never made any attempt to cut off Canelo on the right and walk him towards the left hook?

Comment

I believe that the contract weight was no more than 168 on fight day, which Canelo made. That night I think Angulo actually out weighed Canelo at 174lbs if I'm not mistaken.
                canelo was 170 lbs fight time

Comment

Excellent post man. I had a young fighter who sparred for the first time the other day come up to me and tell me the same thing.

He said "Coach, you know I watch fights and yell at the screen for them to throw punches. Now I know why they aren't throwing punches, it's way different in there."

When you have those combinations coming, accurately and that hard, it will change the way you fight. Canelo became gun shy when Floyd started countering him with the right hand.
                  Also, look at 2:20 of round Mosley vs Margarito, I only remember vaguely but I looked the youtube video now. Look at 2:20, Mosley lands a left hook that makes Margarito stumble back a little and look how his behavior changes after that. But for like the first 40 seconds of the round, Margarito was active and throwing. The left hook changed his mind about trading with Mosley. It was the beginning of the end since round 1 n that fight. Mosley's body punching against Marg was brutal as well. Look at Margarito's pity pat punches as the rounds go on, because of those body punches. I saw nothing different, extraordinary, or unusual in the Canelo-Angulo fight. It was a very similar fight to Mosley-Margarito.

Comment

First I was very disappointed with Figueroa and Molina being taken off the card. I thought those two would have made it worth while.

Ricardo Alvarez vs Ya Yo Thompson

Ricardo better thank god Figueroa hurt his writs because Figueroa would have hurt him. Terrible outing by him, overrated power and bad defense. I think Paulie said it best when he said Thompson can't miss.

Linares vs Arakawa

Linares looked good as always, faded a bit in the later rounds. Arakawa has no power so that helped Linares. Shame because if Arakawa had power, he would be one exciting fighter.

Santa Cruz vs Mijares

I thought Mijares used all of his experience to last in this fight. He was getting hit with some hard body shots, and was hurt late in the fight but he knows how to go the distance. Santa Cruz looked good, real good. I know some fans might not think so because he didn't get the KO but he dominated that fight easily against a very experienced fighter.

Canelo vs Angulo

There's a couple things I want to address here. First off, why was Angulo looking like he was throwing with no power. Well the answer to that is easy. When a fighter is faster, and pushing you backwards, they take that from you. It's the same reason fans didn't understand why Canelo wasn't doing this vs Mayweather.

Angulo IMO was set up to make Canelo look good. Perfect style, no speed and the game plan against Angulo was ballsy and genius. Push him back, be the aggressor. Don't allow Angulo to come forward and be the bully.

It worked and I thought Canelo looked very good. His speed was impressive, his defense has grown leaps and bounds since 2 years ago, and he can **** with the best of them. By the way, to those saying it was fixed are ***in idiots that need to stop watching boxing.

I thought it was an EXCELLENT stoppage. With the heavyweight Russian going into a coma, boxing refs and officials I think will be more careful in allowing a fighter to take serious damage. Don't think I'm exaggerating when I say Tony Weeks might have saved Angulo's life, or at least his brain. He was being punished and not throwing anything in return.

When a fight is competitive, then you let it go. When it's not, there's no reason to allow a fighter to take this amount of punishment. It's for nothing, he couldn't win and Canelo was literally toying with him at one point. Putting his hands down and standing in front of Angulo, slipping all his shots.

Canelo will fight the winner of Martinez vs Cotto and that will bring big money. I also think he will fight Lara in the near future as well. Kid is talented and has a very bright future and the scary thing is, he's 23 years old.

I believe Angulo is done. His career is on the line and I don't want to see him take punishment like this anymore. Love his character, style and heart but he might need to call it a career.
                    Agree completely. Good post

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
                      so canelo landed one punch and angulo threw arm punches for the rest of the fight? makes no sense. comparing angulo's style to donaries? pretty sure donaire has always been a lay back and wait counter puncher and angulo has always been a come forward pressure fighter. you still haven't explained why angulo wasn't throwing punches properly, why he wasn't turning his hooks over, why he was hitting with the inside of the glove. because he was afraid to get hit? why would he throw at all then? a turned over left hook is the perfect punch to split a high guard yet angulo wasn't turning them over. even when he had canelo on the ropes with a high guard and was in no danger he was throwing arm punches and landing just with no power. it was a fix.
                      Didn't you also said the Mayweather-Mosley fight was fixed(Rhetorical question, I know you did say this), and the Trout-Canelo fight was fixed(Same)? Now Canelo-Angulo was also fixed.

Maybe boxing is not the sport for you. I just googled "conspiracy theory forums" and I found this, it looks pretty good.

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/index.php

You should join up, I don't think you should watch anymore boxing, you should instead become an avid conspiracy theorist in general topics. IF you join, let me know, I will join up too so that you will have a familiar member on there. I'm serious.

Comment

Working...
                      X