No announcement yet.

Cuauhtemoc1520's take on Canelo vs Angulo

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
    People are idiots, they really are. When Canelo put his hands down on the ropes and Angulo missed like 8 punches in a row, that **** sealed it. Canelo was in the groove.
    Man! It came to a point where he was dodging punches and wasn't even looking at Angulo. That was insane!

Comment

Originally posted by FrankieClutch View Post
      Man! It came to a point where he was dodging punches and wasn't even looking at Angulo. That was insane!
      He disrespected him no doubt. He looked over at the announcers and was smiling. Someone should make a gif.

Comment

canelo's a very good offensive fighter. he's great on the eyes. he's going to be at or around the top for a while.

i don't think he will be, or even can ever become a great. his feet and upper body are just too slow. some guys make up for stiffness with reflexes, defensive timing, and craft, but he's not that kind of athlete. his power is also awesome, especially when he throws it in combination like that, but he's not a true one punch puncher. i don't think his chin or power or craft will make up for his lack of speed to the degree that it can help him become a great fighter.

i think canelo's going to have a short, exciting, lucrative career. more than a great fighter, he will go down as a star. that guy looks like an artist drew him up. his face looks like it belongs on a superhero from a comic book.

i agree on angulo. it's scary to see a man take punishment like that. what's scarier is that he took a worse beating against kirkland. it went a little bit further than weeks was willing to let it go on saturday.

i watched the fight with a close friend, who is a casual fan of boxing. he loves to watch fights, but he's not a real boxing fan. we both agreed that the stoppage was great. whether or not he was affected by my suggesting that the fight was stopped early i cannot say, but he didn't complain at all.

i LOVED the stoppage. you need referees with a set of balls like tony weeks to keep these guys alive. you can f#cking die in there. angulo was taking combinations, not just power shots. over half of canelo's power was landing, and many of the punches were true flush shots, landing right on the face and even the chin.

angulo will have the option to fight again. weeks afforded him that. i'd prefer if angulo hangs up his gloves, but he won't. GBP might give him a rebuilding fight, but they'll match him within the calendar year with an up and comer if they've got their way.
        Last edited by New England; 03-10-2014, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Great post. I couldn't believe all the people in the Guru chat who were saying it was fixed. I mean... ****. Angulo couldnt throw with authority because Canelo was smashing his face in every time he tried to open up. Eventually he threw caution to the wind and went for it, but it was already Canelos fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
            I know Angulo is slow, but Canelo looked incredibly fast.
            Canelo has always been very explosive, no surprises there. Also being in there with someone fast would just make Angulo look that much slower.

Comment

the fight was clearly fixed. angulo came out throwing arm punches from the opening bell. he was literally tapping him. big puncher starts throwing punches like joe calzaghe and you think it wasn't fixed? canelo was hitting him so that made him completely change the way he throws punches?

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                canelo's a very good offensive fighter. he's great on the eyes. he's going to be at or around the top for a while.

i don't think he will be, or even can ever become a great. his feet and upper body are just too slow. some guys make up for stiffness with reflexes, defensive timing, and craft, but he's not that kind of athlete. his power is also awesome, especially when he throws it in combination like that, but he's not a true one punch puncher. i don't think his chin or power or craft will make up for his lack of speed to the degree that it can help him become a great fighter.

i think canelo's going to have a short, exciting, lucrative career. more than a great fighter, he will go down as a star. that guy looks like an artist drew him up. his face looks like it belongs on a superhero from a comic book.

There's been many fighters who don't have fast feet that have been great. Canelo's style is not that of a mover, and it's not like he can't move. We have seen him get on his bicycle and move, but he wants to counter and sit down on his shots.

I also don't see why you think his career will be short lived? I mean, he doesn't take much damage either, he has really improved his defense and the way they teach is is catch and shoot. He catches a ton of shots on his gloves.

As far as his upper body being slow? I don't get it, he slips shot very well and one of the things Trout said after the fight was how fast he is, and how his head movement is much better than he thought.

I think fans forget he's 23 years old, the improvement is there for him. I believe the sky is the limit for this kid, especially when I hear him talk. very educated, very mature and seems to understand what he's doing in context.

Comment

Canelo brother got beat the **** up. Linares is getting his **** together. Santa Cruz is a little version of plaster wrap Margarito. Canelo whooped Angulo. Perro looked like a real bum for the first few rds. Thought the stoppage was ok only cuz Angulo wasn't doing **** that night to beat Canelo.

Comment

It goes like this in NSB:

Canelo was paid off to go easy on Floyd, Angulo was paid off to go easy/take a beating from Canelo...Next, if Canelo fights Lara and Lara wins a decision similar to how Floyd won, they will say Canelo was once again paid off by Haymon to take it easy, and the same if Lara loses, Lara was paid off by Schaefer/DLH with an agreement from Haymon, to take it easy on Canelo. Canelo lost to Trout, Rhodes was too old.

That will be the theme for Canelo, discredit each and every one of his win or loss. But you know what? That means he's doing something good. Look at other successful fighters around him Mayweather, Pacquiao, Cotto, Ward, Wlad, Hopkins, boxing "fans" nitpick each and every one of their win and basically they have zero wins that satisfies their critics. Canelo will join this group and that's actually good, it means he's on the right track if he joins the high standard crew, where critics put him in such high standards that no one win is ever good enough.

Canelo at 23 is so mentally old, that he understands this. I saw the way he spoke of the fans throwing objects at him, he was so calm about it as if he knows the ins and outs of the business of boxing and understands it completely. He will be good, he knows when fans and media are over-criticizing it means he's on to great things. He should be concerned if he was getting too much love and overpraised like some one like Golovkin.

Comment

Does anyone know what the weights were going into the ring?

I don't mean to rain on Cauth's thread and all the Alvarez props, but I'm not necessarily a fan of how weight issue went down. I know Alvarez request an extra lb. and then I read I think it was Rafael's comment that only Alvarez had to weigh no more than '68 by 3pm on Saturday.... but then I read the day of the fight that neither fighter was allowed to rehydrate past '68 by 3pm, which is weird considering Angulo didn't request the extra pound.

Don't get me wrong, Angulo looked slower -- how that's possible, I have no idea whatsoever. But that wasn't Angulo in there. In no way was it a fix, nobody is getting hit that much throughout an entire fight when they can take a dive early in the fight and preserve their career.

Something was wrong, though. Perhaps Angulo was shot and it's just time or maybe something had to do with the weight. I still remember Lara complaining about how GBP said he couldn't rehydrate to a certain weight when he fought Angulo, but Angulo came in at light heavy. And at that time, both GBP and arum were complaining about Cuban fighters and how they couldn't sell, yadda yadda.
                      Last edited by deejd; 03-10-2014, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X