No announcement yet.

Is Joe Frazier really an ATG?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by .:: JSFD26 ::. View Post
    You beat an ATG, you become an ATG. You beat a legend, you become a legend.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android
    but some who call themselves atgs didn't even beat atgs

Comment

• Originally posted by -Weltschmerz- View Post
      but some who call themselves atgs didn't even beat atgs
      Who, like Wlad you mean?

Comment

• atg fighter no issues there but there were some fighters he didn't fight in that era that would have been great fights , Norton , lyle , shavers

Comment

• Originally posted by bender2000 View Post
          atg fighter no issues there but there were some fighters he didn't fight in that era that would have been great fights , Norton , lyle , shavers
          That issue has already been clarified multiple times in this thread.

Shavers and Lyle both lost to Quarry whom Frazier subsequently beat.

Norton fought Ali for the chance to fight for the title, now held by Foreman after beating Frazier. Also, by that time they shared trainers and Frazier was Norton's idol.

Comment

• Yes! You should resign from Boxingscene.com for making this thread.

Comment

• Boxing icon for being part of a famous wave of fighters & in some huge fights... Sure.

"All-time great" on the basis of actual skill, technique, athleticism, etc... No I don't think so.

Some people have severe difficulty separating the different types of "legendary".

EX: Arturo Gatti has become a modern legend but for reasons other than skill. I guess over time the line blurs.
              Last edited by ////; 10-28-2014, 01:29 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
                He's similar to Marquez in terms of resume, and nearly everyone here calls Marquez an ATG and HOF.

Marquez has the big Pacquiao win, or wins depending on what you believe about the first 3 fights. But the rest of his wins pale in comparison to the Pacquiao fights. Still, he has enough solid wins aside from the big one to be considered an ATG.
                I think the term ATG gets thrown around too often. Only a select few are true ATG's.

Manny, Floyd, SRL, SRR, Hagler, Hearns, Duran, Foreman, Lewis, Ali, Hopkins, Holmes, Louis, a bevy of old school fighter, Im confident I'm missing a few. My point is that ATG status should only go to those who have been at the Top, have carried it, have wins over those just under the ATG line.

Comment

• Originally posted by raf727 View Post
                  He is known for being in the Fight of the Century, and winning it.
                  the fight of the century is the thrilla in manila...

ali won that one...

Comment

• The op doesnt know history and how boxing works.
                    its like saying lamotta isnt an atg

Comment

• Joe Frazier is a ATG.

Comment

Working...
                      X