No announcement yet.

Is Joe Frazier really an ATG?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
    waiiiiiiiiiiiiit....a regional title against Mathis? You do realise that up until the 70s, the New York state commission regularly crowned world champions right? They'd been doing it till the early 20th century, they've had champions such as SRR, Moore if I'm not mistaken held their LHW title.

Plus, Frazier woudl go on to win the WBA crown off Ellis, remember there were only 2 titles at the time, WBA and WBC and the WBC title, vacant at the time ,was also on the line.

Quarry, Bonavena, Ellis, Mathis and even Chuvalo were all world top 10 ranked heavies. Who else was he supposed to fight?

In the 70s we can say that he should have fought Shavers, Norton, Lyle and a few others but Frazier was very inactive post 71, fighting only 10 times in 10 years. In that time he faced Ali and Foreman twice each. Quality > Quantity. Yes he lots but he was all but done by 73.

Oh and Frazier holds an impressive win over foster, yes he was a LHW but it was common for guys to move up to challenge HW champs back then.

I don't see any problem in Frazier's work.
    Don't bother. Read the rest of the thread, and you'll see why you shouldn't bother.

Comment

• Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
      I've seen a lot of people saying he's the greatest or one of, middleweights of all times.

The same fans that are saying it about Klitschko strangely enough.

But I like GGG, I just hope he won't get the same ridiculous fanbase as them.
      Those disrespecting Frazier should be banned. You have no place on a boxing forum if you don't have respect for joe fcking Frazier!!

Comment

• Originally posted by One more round View Post
        Those disrespecting Frazier should be banned. You have no place on a boxing forum if you don't have respect for joe fcking Frazier!!
        According to the klit fans, Frazier is a poor man's Sam Peter.

Comment

• Originally posted by Public_Enemy View Post
          What exactly is your criteria in determining ATG status?
          I cannot be bothered Reading through this thread, but can someone tell me if this essential question has been answered by the TS?

Comment

• Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
            According to the klit fans, Frazier is a poor man's Sam Peter.
            .................................................. ...

lol

please tell me you're joking right

Comment

• Originally posted by strykr619 View Post
              Frazier was robbed btw in that 3rd fight with Ali, he should have won that fight.

robbed? i have no issues with either guy not being allowed to continue. both were close to death. ali collapsed after the fight.

i don't know how you can call such a close fight, with such a reasonable ending, a robbery.

i don't watch that fight any more. i don't care to see men being killed.

Comment

• yes, joe frazier is really an ATG.

he beat several of the top contenders from the late 60's and early 70's. he beat muhammad ali, the greatest HW of all time on any reasonable list, when he was closer to his prime than any other defeat.

Comment

• Originally posted by Szef99 View Post
                  Don't get me wrong I respect the guy for his toughness and heart but is he really an all time great?

He's known for getting absolutely destroyed by George Foreman and for losing a trilogy to Muhammad Ali, probably the greatest HW of all times.

I know he did beat Ali once but that's it, he lost to "The Greatest" two times. Of course it's not a shame to lose a fight to Muhammad Ali.

But, lets be honest here, winning one fight against coming back from 4 year break Ali is not enough to be considered an ATG.
                  Originally posted by New England View Post
                  robbed? i have no issues with either guy not being allowed to continue. both were close to death. ali collapsed after the fight.

i don't know how you can call such a close fight, with such a reasonable ending, a robbery.

i don't watch that fight any more. i don't care to see men being killed.
                  In return that fight is what made Frazier a bitter man, there is a reason why he never talked to his trainer again after that fight.

Oh and for the OP and any other fool who doesn't think Frazier is an ATG he fought with essentially one eye since he was basically blind in the other. Yet he still beat legit greats in his career... LOL at either KBros touching Frazier's career (and I'm a big time Vitali fan and i can admit this).

Comment

• Originally posted by sugarsmosley View Post
                    .................................................. ...

lol

please tell me you're joking right
                    It's been repeated constantly by the 'numbers' guys.

As in, Sam Peter is heavier than Frazier, therefore must be better.

Comment

• I'll probably get called an alt or a n00b, but the OP should be kicked in the nuts.

What the fuck is this question for a fuck

Comment

Working...
                      X