No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Scully on Dawson: “He sort of turned a corner in his life”

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Matty Ice View Post
    If I remember correctly he went all the way up to his regular fight night weight as if he was fighting at 175. I think it was like 180ish...

Dawson ****ed up man. He just won the lineal championship and possibly destroyed the rest of his career a few months later.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android
    Yeah Dawsons loss had nothing to do with anybody named Andre Ward........

Comment

Originally posted by !! Anorak View Post
      Someone told me Dawson lost this fight because when they tried to get fight footage of Ward they couldn't find any on Betamax.
      No no no it was because there was a copy of Burt Reynolds greatest hits stuck in their beta max player.

Comment

If the fight had happened at 175 pounds do you think that Dawson would have beat Ward, John?

Because aside from the weight issues there were tactical things that Chad appeared not to know how to deal with.

Comment

You have to realize what weight loss like that does to a fighter...he couldn't deal with technical things because his mind and body weren't even in the same vicinity together...in the corner I realized that it would be almost pointless to give him specific technical instructions because his mind/body wasn't prepared to put them together and carry them out...you have to reach a guy in that state mentally and emotionally...that's when you hope he has retained enough of what he knows needs to be done to have it come out in reactions...it's like the famous "you're blowing it, son" line/tactic...that was needed st that moment more than "step to your left and throw a left over the top" or anything else that he would have to THINK about...Chad is a reaction fighter, he reacts to stuff better than he carries out specific things...he needed to let his hands go any way he could let them but he wasn't able to pull it together under the circumstances...

Comment

Originally posted by Davis40 View Post
            Yeah Dawsons loss had nothing to do with anybody named Andre Ward........
            Read the post below. Im not saying Dawson beats Ward but at 175 this fight would've been a much different fight. And I posted what I posted cause Dawson doesn't seem like the kind who deals with what happened very well (taking a beating like he did). And to make matters worse, he's about to fight a big puncher. Im not even sure Dawson will be able to beat Stevenson. Before the Ward fight I would've easily picked Dawson to stop or school Stevenson. But after what happened Im not sure about it anymore (even tho Im still gonna pick him). Did you ever ask yourself why Dawson became a safety first type fighter after a while?
            Originally posted by ICEMAN JOHN SCULLY View Post
            You have to realize what weight loss like that does to a fighter...he couldn't deal with technical things because his mind and body weren't even in the same vicinity together...in the corner I realized that it would be almost pointless to give him specific technical instructions because his mind/body wasn't prepared to put them together and carry them out...you have to reach a guy in that state mentally and emotionally...that's when you hope he has retained enough of what he knows needs to be done to have it come out in reactions...it's like the famous "you're blowing it, son" line/tactic...that was needed st that moment more than "step to your left and throw a left over the top" or anything else that he would have to THINK about...Chad is a reaction fighter, he reacts to stuff better than he carries out specific things...he needed to let his hands go any way he could let them but he wasn't able to pull it together under the circumstances...

Comment

I don't question any of this, but you said in your other post:

I felt things were being done wrong
              What was being done wrong? Where did things get messed up?

Comment

Also, so ur clear, Andre Ward is a special breed of fighter...we need more like him in this game... Maybe Chad could beat him at 175, maybe not but it would be a much better fight, that's a 10000 pct for sure. The right guy, the fully prepared guy, won. ALL credit from me to ANDRE WARD.

Comment

Also, so ur clear, Andre Ward is a special breed of fighter...we need more like him in this game... Maybe Chad could beat him at 175, maybe not but it would be a much better fight, that's a 10000 pct for sure. The right guy, the fully prepared guy, won. ALL credit from me to ANDRE WARD.

Ice, how would you go about fighting andre ward?

Comment

I'm a fan of Andre Ward and not a fan of Chad Dawson but I don't think we need John Scully to confirm to us that Chad was dead at the weight.

You can clearly see with your own two eyes that Dawson is literally dead at the weight.

Comment

See, right before the fight happened I said that while Chad throws great combinations, he has to be completely SET and have his feet planted to let them go, whereas Ward can move and dip in and out of range with punches and keep you off balance. Chad looked the same against Pascal, when someone gives Chad a lot of movement and uses speed and moves in and out of range with punches he shuts down. Ward KNEW this IMO. And when Chad would get close Ward would dip low and get under Chad's punches and smother him. I said before and I'll say it again, Chad totally underestimated Ward's speed and outside boxing game. He even admitted Ward was a lot faster and stronger then he thought.

As for the whole weight thing, I've always had my doubts. Chad looked strong, hydrated and confident at the weigh in. He wasn't gaunt, pale and drained like Rios looked for the Murray fight (A fight Rios went on to win, and win by KO). I'm not saying anyone's lying but I just find it crazy how Chad told ANYONE who would listen that he was in shape, everything was fine, he was on weight before the weigh in etc. and as soon as he gets totally outclassed and dominated by someone he admittedly underestimated, the weight was a problem. Nothing against you John, you're a great trainer and how Chad did you was not right, none of what I'm saying is directed at you.

My point is this, if this whole weight issue was the case, Chad and/or his management should have never gave in so easily at the negotiation tables, and he DEFINATELY should have never called Ward out to fight at 168. That's my point. All in all, if a rematch happens at 175, I bet my bottom dollar Chad doesn'y make it past the 8th. Ward has proves he is the better, more advanced boxer, and IMO has Chad's number. With all that being said, at 175 I'd favor Chad over everyone else BUT Ward.
                      Last edited by Tmann400; 03-29-2013, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X