Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Better Defense: Winky Wright or Pernell Whitaker?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
    Because Winky Wright's resume doesn't compare to Whitakers.
    Also, can show me why you believe Whitaker's resume is > Wrights. I'm not saying better fighter, but better resume.

I'll do the same as soon as soon you do.

Comment

Pep
      Whitaker
      Locche
      Benitez
      Mayweather
      Toney
      Lora
      Burley
      Benny Leonard
      Tunney

Well, theres 10 off the top of my head. I'm sure I could continue.

It doesn't really matter, compubox isn't always accurate firstly.

Secondly, would these facts make Mayweather the best defensive fighter of all time? Of course not.
      I think here's where we're going to disagree a lot.

You have a habbit of putting older fighters ahead of newer generational fighters. I'm all about respecting your elders, but you take it a bit to far.

Another thing you have to keep in mind with ranking older fighters is, a lot of fighters didn't have access to view video footage of their opponents. I think fighters of today should be given more credit. Mainly because if you study your opponent on video long enough, you're bound to come up with a way to beat them.

Great fighters from the early 1900's - 60's didn't have to worry about opponents studying all their flaws.

Also, I saw that you ranked Toney ahead of Winky. Toney and Winky have been fighting for roughly the same amount of time. Toney (1988) and Winky (1990). I think Toney has taken wayyyyy more punishment throughout his career. I know Toney's been dropped, as well as whitaker and other fighters you mentioned. But correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think Winky has ever been dropped. It's all subjective, but it's my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingGenius27 View Post
        Also, can show me why you believe Whitaker's resume is > Wrights. I'm not saying better fighter, but better resume.

I'll do the same as soon as soon you do.
        There is quite literally no arugment that Whitakers resume is better than Winky Wrights. Absolutely no argument.

Pernell Whitaker is amongst the Top 5 Lightweight's of all time. Lightweight being argubally the richest division in the history of Boxing. The vast majority of historians agree with this.

Whitaker's resume at Lightweight alone catches up with Winky Wright's entire resume.

Let alone the other 3 weight class's he ventured.

Let's add the fact that Whitaker beat the man that Winky Wright lost to in his 4th and final weight class, with ease.

Lets then add the fact that he moved to WW, his 3rd weight class, won the title and defended that title in his 3rd weight class almost as many times as Winky Wright defended his paper title in his first weight class.

He also beat Julio Cesar Chavez and Azumah Nelson that pretty much single handedly blow Winky Wright's resume away.

I felt Winky got the descision over Vargas and Taylor, both close (ish) fights. Similar to Whitaker's controversial loss to Oscar.

Yeah, Whitaker's resume is absolutely superior to Wrights. By a wide wide margin.

Comment

You have a habbit of putting older fighters ahead of newer generational fighters. I'm all about respecting your elders, but you take it a bit to far.

Another thing you have to keep in mind with ranking older fighters is, a lot of fighters didn't have access to view video footage of their opponents. I think fighters of today should be given more credit. Mainly because if you study your opponent on video long enough, you're bound to come up with a way to beat them.

Great fighters from the early 1900's - 60's didn't have to worry about opponents studying all their flaws.

Also, I saw that you ranked Toney ahead of Winky. Toney and Winky have been fighting for roughly the same amount of time. Toney (1988) and Winky (1990). I think Toney has taken wayyyyy more punishment throughout his career. I know Toney's been dropped, as well as whitaker and other fighters you mentioned. But correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think Winky has ever been dropped. It's all subjective, but it's my opinion.
          A habbit? It's not a habbit..

There is footage of all of those fighters. Maybe not as much as Winky Wright, but enough to indentify he isn't as good defensively as those names.

If you believe that Winky Wright is better defensively than James Toney then we may aswell nip this in the bud from here.

Comment

Let's add the fact that Whitaker beat the man that Winky Wright lost to in his 4th and final weight class, with ease.

Lets then add the fact that he moved to WW, his 3rd weight class, won the title and defended that title in his 3rd weight class almost as many times as Winky Wright defended his paper title in his first weight class.

He also beat Julio Cesar Chavez and Azumah Nelson that pretty much single handedly blow Winky Wright's resume away.
            I felt Winky got the descision over Vargas and Taylor, both close (ish) fights. Similar to Whitaker's controversial loss to Oscar.

Yeah, Whitaker's resume is absolutely superior to Wrights. By a wide wide margin.
            Wright beat the man the beat Whitaker with ease in Tito Trinidad. Just based on the fact that you're trying to use boxing math, lets me know where this is going. We all know styles make fights. I'll leave it at that.

Bernard Hopkins can potentially offset JCC. Maybe not by career fight totals, but definitely by greatness. Also Hopkins has never been stopped. How many times has JCC been stopped?

Mosley, Trinidad, and Taylor alone >>>>>> Azumah Nelson. Nelson was good, but there you go again, thinking that just because he came before the fighters Wright fought that = better/greater.

Comment

Wright beat the man the beat Whitaker with ease in Tito Trinidad. Just based on the fact that you're trying to use boxing math, lets me know where this is going. We all know styles make fights. I'll leave it at that.

Bernard Hopkins can potentially offset JCC. Maybe not by career fight totals, but definitely by greatness. Also Hopkins has never been stopped. How many times has JCC been stopped?

Mosley, Trinidad, and Taylor alone >>>>>> Azumah Nelson. Nelson was good, but there you go again, thinking that just because he came before the fighters Wright fought that = better/greater.
              Problem is, Wright and Whitaker fought him at around the same time, and definitely the same version.

Whitaker fought a prime Trinidad at his best weight as opposed to Winky who...Didn't.

Not that that matters, just another thing to add.

Bernard Hopkins is not greater than Julio Cesar Chavez. And, Hopkins beat Winky Wright, rather clearly.

Chavez was stopped a few times, mostly when he was well past his prime. Chavez has one of the greatest chins of all time though, so I'm not sure what the point there is.

The version of Trinidad that Winky fought is better than Azumah Nelson?

Jermain Taylor better than Azumah Nelson?

Shane at 154? Meh, possibly.

I overrate Nelson now "because he fought before Winky Wright"?

What? Nelson was still fighting in the 90's, his prime was the 80's. Is that old time to you? The 80's is recent history!

I'm sorry, but comparing Winky Wright's resume and arguing he is greater than Pernell Whitaker is out right ludacrous.

Comment

JCV dropped Winky more more times than I can count

But to Winky's defense, that was before Winky was Winky.

Comment

Problem is, Wright and Whitaker fought him at around the same time, and definitely the same version.

Whitaker fought a prime Trinidad at his best weight as opposed to Winky who...Didn't.

Not that that matters, just another thing to add.

Bernard Hopkins is not greater than Julio Cesar Chavez. And, Hopkins beat Winky Wright, rather clearly.

Chavez was stopped a few times, mostly when he was well past his prime. Chavez has one of the greatest chins of all time though, so I'm not sure what the point there is.

The version of Trinidad that Winky fought is better than Azumah Nelson?

Jermain Taylor better than Azumah Nelson?

Shane at 154? Meh, possibly.

I overrate Nelson now "because he fought before Winky Wright"?

What? Nelson was still fighting in the 90's, his prime was the 80's. Is that old time to you? The 80's is recent history!

I'm sorry, but comparing Winky Wright's resume and arguing he is greater than Pernell Whitaker is out right ludacrous.
                  1. Not only did Winky fight and destroy a 42-1 Trinidad, but many believe he beat Hopkins after Wright came off a year and a half layoff. I'm not sure if you read my post but I clearly stated "Wright was better defensively, not fighter". I also clearly stated that we're debating resume's. I'm not sure where you think I said Wright was the better fighter?

2. How convenient of you to say JCC was past his prime when he got KO'd. Even though he was 96-1. FYI, the fight was a draw between Whitaker and JCC. I'm not sure why you said he beat JCC? If that's the case, the same can be said that Wright beat Hopkins.

3. hahahaha I'm not even going to compare Wright's opponents to Azuman Nelson. Nelson was one of the best fighters from Ghana, but that's as far as it goes.

You're clearly approaching this argument subjectively. The one Objective post I made regarding top opponent punch land ratio fighter's, you did nothing but discredit the facts.

Comment

Pay close attention to my post. Nelson's prime was in the 80's. Winky's prime was early to mid 2000's.

Now ask yourself, who is the older fighter and you will see the point I was making. Which is based on your post history, you clearly show favortism to older fighters.

Comment

Pay close attention to my post. Nelson's prime was in the 80's. Winky's prime was early to mid 2000's.

Now ask yourself, who is the older fighter and you will see the point I was making. Which is based on your post history, you clearly show favortism to older fighters.
                      If Azumah's prime didn't reach the early 90s, then I'd be surprised because he performed very well against Fenech. Those two fights are extremely underrated, hardly see people bring them up. Especially the way he fought off the ropes in the rematch. Still, that was a VERY VERY good version of Azumah Nelson.
                      Last edited by Doctor_Tenma; 08-13-2011, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X