Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Better Defense: Winky Wright or Pernell Whitaker?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pernell whitaker...winky had long arms that he used to block...pernell just clowned you because you couldnt catch him

Comment

Whitaker
      Wright good at blocking and pressuring
      his style lets him answer quickly
      but Whitaker made guys miss completely
      great at countering in combination
      punches can get through a guard
      Whitaker's defense would have you dizzy

Comment

Originally posted by edgarg View Post
        Joshua Clotty is as good a defensive boxer as was Winky Wright. Not exactly equal, but equivalent, Wright a little better because of his left jab. Good because their defences defend against being hit in a vital spot, but with very limited attacks.

Neither has or had the skills nor competence that Whitaker had which were both attacking and defensive. There is no comparison. It's like comparing an armoured troop carrier to an F16.
        damn son are you serious? winky's a southpaw

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingGenius27 View Post
          This.

Winky was a defensive physical speciman.

I've never seen a fighter that could protect his face and body all at the same time while being in a shell.

Most fighters can cover their face, but leave their body open. But to cover your face and body all at once? I was amazed. I thought NSAC should create a rule against it, that's how good it was lol
          I thin it is because he has a short body and pong arms, plus a shirt neck and can therefore protect his whole bidy from waist to head with his forearms. he would also have to have good reflexes and anticipation, as wll as a cool head, all of which he has. Hoqever his output is severely limited.

Whitaker on the other hand, exposed himself to attack, invited it, giving him the opportunity of mounting an attack himself, which, with his superfast reflexes and hands, made the fight far more exciting and risky, therefore a fan favourite to watch. Wright's fights, on the contrary, were mostly snoozers. Which is why he fought so seldom and in so few BIG fights.

His good record forced a fight to be made, but his style cut down on it's attractiveness for fans, depending on his opponent.

Comment

I thin it is because he has a short body and pong arms, plus a shirt neck and can therefore protect his whole bidy from waist to head with his forearms. he would also have to have good reflexes and anticipation, as wll as a cool head, all of which he has. Hoqever his output is severely limited.

Whitaker on the other hand, exposed himself to attack, invited it, giving him the opportunity of mounting an attack himself, which, with his superfast reflexes and hands, made the fight far more exciting and risky, therefore a fan favourite to watch. Wright's fights, on the contrary, were mostly snoozers. Which is why he fought so seldom and in so few BIG fights.

His good record forced a fight to be made, but his style cut down on it's attractiveness for fans, depending on his opponent.
            Sorry for typos; it's of course "long" arms ..."short" neck... "body"..... Typing in half dark.

Comment

Wright's fights, on the contrary, were mostly snoozers. Which is why he fought so seldom and in so few BIG fights.
              From my memory, Wright always came foward while dishing out punishment. Without looking at his compubox stats, I would say Wright had a pretty big punch output.

Look at it this way. The only way Wright could have 50+ victories while not throwing a lot of punches, would be to be a defensive genius, which add's to the thread.

Comment

1. I think what Ceilings was trying to say was you discredited Wright's resume against Whitakers. A prime Williams, Vargas, Trinidad, Hopkins, Taylor, Quartey and Mosley is a pretty strong resume. I counted at least 3 HOF'ers. The only clear fight Wright lost in his career was against Paul Williams. Every other loss can be disputed (i.e Hopkins and Vargas).
                Because Winky Wright's resume doesn't compare to Whitakers.

I didn't say it's a bad resume, although it's not great, really.

2. Pernell Whitaker is recognized globally for his flashiness and reflexes. Give Winky another 20 years or so and he will be mentioned globally in the same sense. We just happen to live in a world where people give more credit to their elders than peers.
                No, he's not.

Pernell Whitaker is recognised for his incredible defense. Trust me, I was there.

In 20 years time, Winky Wright will possibly be forgotten. Like the thousands I have seen come and go.

And he will never, ever, be considered as good defensively as Pernell Whitaker.

3. According to Winky and Pernell's opponent punch land ratio, Winky had the lower percentage. Winky was high 20's low 30's. Whitaker was high 30's, low 40's. What does this mean? It means Winky got hit less than Whitaker. I'm looking for a link to support my claim, I just have to remember where I had it.
                I would have to see that to believe it.

Comment

From my memory, Wright always came foward while dishing out punishment. Without looking at his compubox stats, I would say Wright had a pretty big punch output.

Look at it this way. The only way Wright could have 50+ victories while not throwing a lot of punches, would be to be a defensive genius, which add's to the thread.
                  Close to 700 fight from Vargas to Taylor. His highest was the 1100 against quartey. Not boring fights at all. Also, he only used his shell for le 13 out of his 50+ fight career. The shell came with him pressuring and trying to create a fanbase. People saying it's all he had don't realize the extent of his defense.
                  Last edited by intoccabile; 08-13-2011, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                    Because Winky Wright's resume doesn't compare to Whitakers.

I didn't say it's a bad resume, although it's not great, really.

No, he's not.

Pernell Whitaker is recognised for his incredible defense. Trust me, I was there.

In 20 years time, Winky Wright will possibly be forgotten. Like the thousands I have seen come and go.

And he will never, ever, be considered as good defensively as Pernell Whitaker.

I would have to see that to believe it.
                    1. Everything you said is subjective. As well as myself. But to say, he's not even top 10 is wayyyyyy off on your part.

2. Maybe you can help me find the link. It's a Top 10 list of fighters with the highest opponent punch land ratio. This list had Mayweather (16%) at 1 and Vitali (18-19%) at 2, respectively. Whitaker came in around 6 or 7 (high 30's low 40's). In fact Whitaker and ODLH were pretty close. But Wright was in the #3 or #4 spot.

This is objective. Help me find the link and you'll see for yourself.

Comment

1. Everything you said is subjective. As well as myself. But to say, he's not even top 10 is wayyyyyy off on your part.

2. Maybe you can help me find the link. It's a Top 10 list of fighters with the highest opponent punch land ratio. This list had Mayweather (16%) at 1 and Vitali (18-19%) at 2, respectively. Whitaker came in around 6 or 7 (high 30's low 40's). In fact Whitaker and ODLH were pretty close. But Wright was in the #3 or #4 spot.

This is objective. Help me find the link and you'll see for yourself.
                      Pep
                      Whitaker
                      Locche
                      Benitez
                      Mayweather
                      Toney
                      Lora
                      Burley
                      Benny Leonard
                      Tunney

Well, theres 10 off the top of my head. I'm sure I could continue.

It doesn't really matter, compubox isn't always accurate firstly.

Secondly, would these facts make Mayweather the best defensive fighter of all time? Of course not.

Comment

Working...
                      X