Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Better Defense: Winky Wright or Pernell Whitaker?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BoxingGenius27 View Post
    Who else thought Wright was the 1st to beat Jermaine Taylor?
    I thought that was a robbery. even JT thought he lost, it was all in his face. He almost cried when they said DRAW.

For those who don't remember. This is JT after the bell - the man knew he lost.

Last edited by intoccabile; 08-13-2011, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Pernell Whitaker, his defense allowed for a more non restrictive offense than Winky's.

Comment

Originally posted by No Ceilings View Post
        How is it not close??

Winky was barely hit clean. Pernell was barely hit clean. I think a alot of people are getting to caught up in the flash Sweet pea had. Winky was just as good defensively it wasnt the flashiest but it was a ****ing master lock.

Watch Winky vs. Vargas..with the sound off. My jaw dropped. Vargas landed maybe 2 punches a round...clean.

Nell had the reflexes and speed. Winky had the high guard you couldnt get through.

2 different defensive styles. Doesnt make one better than the other imo.
        This.

Winky was a defensive physical speciman.

I've never seen a fighter that could protect his face and body all at the same time while being in a shell.

Most fighters can cover their face, but leave their body open. But to cover your face and body all at once? I was amazed. I thought NSAC should create a rule against it, that's how good it was lol

Comment

I have to go with Sweet Pea just because getting hit in the arms hurts worse than making them miss completely. Winky was a monster though.

Comment

Whitaker had the best defense ever

Comment

I agree with winkys defense being underrated, Clotteys was underrated immensely here as well but that's a different topic (Watch Clottey margy... he slips a TON of punches not just BLOCKING them).

But Winky was more than just catching punches off his arms. He had head movement behind his guard as well and a damn good parry. Remember, his shell was something new. He scaled the ropes prior to the vargas fight. It was that fight that landed him the State Property deal (they made his attire, only boxer to sport state prop, too) and he kept that style since then in order to get big fights. he figure it would create exciting fights and get him some pay days if he stood in the pocket more.

He could do it all, watch some early Wright footage.

To be exact, watch the McKart fights. the first fight was with his traditional style, text book stance - big arsenal. He won a Split Decision. The second fight was DIRECTLy after the Vargas fight and you can see the subtle style change. The THIRD fight he had already adopted the new style now, 3 fights removed from the second bout.. and he's shelling up.

Before Vargas, vs McKart

After State Prop deal, vowing to pressure fighters and make exciting fights.

Last edited by intoccabile; 08-13-2011, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Sweetpea by FAR. Winky's defense was pure tactics while Pernell was pure boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                  Why is this statment being used so frequently recently? If someone doesn't agree with something that is frankly common sense is "underrating an overrating"

Pernell Whitaker is globally recognised as argubally THE greatest defensive fighter of all time, minimum Top 3. How is he being overrated in any way shape of form.

Winky Wright, on the other hand, is globally NOT included in the argument. Because, although a good fighter, is far from a Pernell Whitaker, including defensively.

Pernell Whitaker is clearly better defensively than Wright, mainly ue to the fact he gets hit alot less.
                  A few things I wanted to touch on in order of what's bolded above:

1. I think what Ceilings was trying to say was you discredited Wright's resume against Whitakers. A prime Williams, Vargas, Trinidad, Hopkins, Taylor, Quartey and Mosley is a pretty strong resume. I counted at least 3 HOF'ers. The only clear fight Wright lost in his career was against Paul Williams. Every other loss can be disputed (i.e Hopkins and Vargas).

2. Pernell Whitaker is recognized globally for his flashiness and reflexes. Give Winky another 20 years or so and he will be mentioned globally in the same sense. We just happen to live in a world where people give more credit to their elders than peers.

3. According to Winky and Pernell's opponent punch land ratio, Winky had the lower percentage. Winky was high 20's low 30's. Whitaker was high 30's, low 40's. What does this mean? It means Winky got hit less than Whitaker. I'm looking for a link to support my claim, I just have to remember where I had it.
                  Last edited by BoxingGenius27; 08-13-2011, 12:24 PM.

Comment

while ill agree that pernell is definitely the better defensive master, winky was a defensive genius in his own right. he was probably one of the best defensive fighters of this era, falling behind guys like floyd and calderon. and his high guar is only the bare bones of what he was good at. his timing, his sense of distance, is use of the jab, his ring generalship were all a level.

Comment

Originally posted by davis828 View Post
                      Uh, Wright's a southpaw.
                      Quite so, let's say then..right jab. I would think everyone knew what I meant.

Comment

Working...
                      X