Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Better Defense: Winky Wright or Pernell Whitaker?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whitaker had the greatest D of all time along with Pep and Locche imo,so i would say him

Comment

• Originally posted by davis828 View Post
      Taylor was in his prime as well unless it's true that Hopkins "took his soul" ha!
      Yep, Taylor was definitely in his prime. In fact, Wright fought a better version of Taylor than Froch, IMO.

Comment

• Winky......

Comment

• Originally posted by WITHOUT HAND View Post
          Winky......
          My name is BG and I approve this public announcement.

Comment

• Originally posted by BoxingGenius27 View Post
            Yep, Taylor was definitely in his prime. In fact, Wright fought a better version of Taylor than Froch, IMO.
            Definitely a better version than Froch IMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
              Definitely a better version than Froch IMO.
              True. I wish Winky would've stayed active though. At times he couldn't find a fight because no one would fight him. Then we he finally did find a fight, the money was off.

Hopefully he'll make a come back. I'm not sure how much he has left though...

Comment

True. I wish Winky would've stayed active though. At times he couldn't find a fight because no one would fight him. Then we he finally did find a fight, the money was off.

Hopefully he'll make a come back. I'm not sure how much he has left though...
                Yeah, got to remember he has been fighting a very long time now. I think it's time to hang them up for good.

I really don't want to see him come back now, what does he have to gain? I don't think he will compete with the top level, career enhancing fighters at this point. The Williams fight was a clear indicator he has drastically slipped.

I even think Macklin might have beaten him had that gone through.

Comment

Yeah, got to remember he has been fighting a very long time now. I think it's time to hang them up for good.

I really don't want to see him come back now, what does he have to gain? I don't think he will compete with the top level, career enhancing fighters at this point. The Williams fight was a clear indicator he has drastically slipped.

In the last 11 years, he's only lost to Williams and Hopkins. He actually outlanded Hopkins 167 to 152. The Williams loss was the only clean defeat and that was to an undefeated Paul Williams who can arguably compete with anyone at the time.

If Wright's style depended on speed and power, your theory might be correct. But his style doesn't require a lot of movement. As long as he's in his shell and pops that stiff jab, he'll be a problem for anyone.

Comment

Macklin? Not sure if you're serious?

EDIT: Keep in mind, both losses to Williams and Hopkins came after very long layoffs.
                    Last edited by BoxingGenius27; 08-14-2011, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Who else thought Wright was the 1st to beat Jermaine Taylor?
                      I def thought he beat taylor and Hopkins

Comment

Working...
                      X