Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Better Defense: Winky Wright or Pernell Whitaker?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better Defense: Winky Wright or Pernell Whitaker?

The Winky Wright that fought against Tito Trinidad was a defensive genius in his prime. Sam Solliman threw like 5,000 punches against Winky and landed 2.

I also believe Winky Wright won the fight against Hopkins.

Pernell Whitaker had better reflexes but I give the better defense to Winky.

Thoughts?

apples and oranges between the two, but BOTH HIGHLY EFFECTIVE in their respective defensive styles.......

pernell makes you miss , winky blocks and walks right through the punches, both knew how to counter punch off of their styles, which made them dynamo's in the sport.

Comment

Who else thought Wright was the 1st to beat Jermaine Taylor?

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingGenius27 View Post
        The Winky Wright that fought against Tito Trinidad was a defensive genius in his prime. Sam Solliman threw like 5,000 punches against Winky and landed 2.

I also believe Winky Wright won the fight against Hopkins.

Pernell Whitaker had better reflexes but I give the better defense to Winky.

Thoughts?
        That's a tough question, BG. Both defenses were effective and frustrating. I liked the flashiness of Sweet Pea's but Wright's was downright discouraging.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingGenius27 View Post
          Who else thought Wright was the 1st to beat Jermaine Taylor?
          I thought B-Hop beat Taylor the first time, but as far as decisively, hands down... Wright put hands on Taylor. He just got home cooking.

Comment

winky was better at blocking....

sweet pee better headmovement.

Comment

Winky was better defensively.

Nell had the reflexes.

Comment

Definitely Whitaker.

Comment

Pernell Whitaker.

Comment

Originally posted by davis828 View Post
                    I thought B-Hop beat Taylor the first time, but as far as decisively, hands down... Wright put hands on Taylor. He just got home cooking.
                    Yep. I remember being a huge Taylor fan during this time and Winky had Taylor trapped in the corner Kelly Pavlik style. Taylor was obviously hurt. I also remember thinking during that fight "There should be a rule against this Winky Wright style defense" lol It was that good.

Comment

Working...
                    X