Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Better Defense: Winky Wright or Pernell Whitaker?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making opponents miss vs Not being able to land a clean shot.

Pick your poison.

Comment

Originally posted by davis828 View Post
      That's a tough question, BG. Both defenses were effective and frustrating. I liked the flashiness of Sweet Pea's but Wright's was downright discouraging.
      Exactly.

When Wright was in his prime, you could throw 10,000 punches a round and not one of them would land cleanly. He would just keep coming forward popping you with a jab.

Mentally, I think he made his opponents quit after the 2nd or 3rd round.

Whereas Whitaker would make you miss with his great head movement and reflexes.But I don't think his opponents were discouraged. Whitaker gave them hope that as long as he kept his hands down there was always a chance of connecting flush.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingGenius27 View Post
        Yep. I remember being a huge Taylor fan during this time and Winky had Taylor trapped in the corner Kelly Pavlik style. Taylor was obviously hurt. I also remember thinking during that fight "There should be a rule against this Winky Wright style defense" lol It was that good.
        Yeah, I remember Wright had Taylor cornered and backing up throughout the the fight... gave him some swelling above the eye as well. But yeah, man, Winky Wright has had one of the most effective styles in the sport [a long ways from that 5+ KD shellacking he took overseas early in his career]. Taylor's coming back, though.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingGenius27 View Post
          Exactly.

When Wright was in his prime, you could throw 10,000 punches a round and not one of them would land cleanly. He would just keep coming forward popping you with a jab.

Mentally, I think he made his opponents quit after the 2nd or 3rd round.

Whereas Whitaker would make you miss with his great head movement and reflexes.But I don't think his opponents were discouraged. Whitaker gave them hope that as long as he kept his hands down there was always a chance of connecting flush.
          No bull, BG. I remember you brought the example of Wright fighting Soliman. Granted, it's hard for anybody to look great against Soliman, but the game plan he had when he fought Wright was perfect... problem was that he couldn't land anything meaningful, let alone anything at all.

Good point on Whitaker as well. Frustrating style but he always welcomed his opponent to play... then hustle 'em.

Comment

pernell. not really arguable.

both of their styles were very unique though.

Comment

Joshua Clotty is as good a defensive boxer as was Winky Wright. Not exactly equal, but equivalent, Wright a little better because of his left jab. Good because their defences defend against being hit in a vital spot, but with very limited attacks.

Neither has or had the skills nor competence that Whitaker had which were both attacking and defensive. There is no comparison. It's like comparing an armoured troop carrier to an F16.

Comment

Originally posted by edgarg View Post
                Joshua Clotty is as good a defensive boxer as was Winky Wright. Not exactly equal, but equivalent, Wright a little better because of his left jab. Good because their defences defend against being hit in a vital spot, but with very limited attacks.

Neither has or had the skills nor competence that Whitaker had which were both attacking and defensive. There is no comparison. It's like comparing an armoured troop carrier to an F16.
                We're talking on solely defense. Whitaker had great reflexes but that doesn't mean overall better defense.

Whitaker's opponent punch land ratio was like 39%, maybe even in the low 40 percentile for his career. Winky Wright's was low 30's high 20's.

Comment

Did someone just say Clottey is just as good as Winky on defense?

The ****.

In other news Steve Forbes is just as good as Mayweather on defense.....ofcourse because they both use the shoulder roll.

Gimme a break.

Comment

Pernell Whitaker and it is not close.

Comment

How is it not close??

Winky was barely hit clean. Pernell was barely hit clean. I think a alot of people are getting to caught up in the flash Sweet pea had. Winky was just as good defensively it wasnt the flashiest but it was a ****ing master lock.

Watch Winky vs. Vargas..with the sound off. My jaw dropped. Vargas landed maybe 2 punches a round...clean.

Nell had the reflexes and speed. Winky had the high guard you couldnt get through.

2 different defensive styles. Doesnt make one better than the other imo.
                      Last edited by B.U.R.N.E.R; 08-13-2011, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X