Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

my 9 year old son is starting his road to the ameturs monday.any advice?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
    Make him learn the fundamentals first. No special cool looking spectacular stuff. Make him learn the straight boxing 101 fundamentals.

That's all you really should be focusing on right now.
    i agree.

and to add more. ur kid is still a kid, so make the practice enjoyable, so he wouldnt get burned out doing his training routine.

Comment

The Jab the Jab make him start by throwing a stiff correct jab dnt move onto anything else also his balance and teach him to keep his hands up at all times

Comment

teach him the fundementals first n how to throw a proper punch and how to defend himself. Also if after a while if you can't teach him any new things let him get a more experienced trainer.

Comment

do your son a huge favor and dont even let him throw punches for a while make it all about footwork and proper movt. he is so young and has so much time just take it slow and dominate the basics. regardless of how hard he ends up being able to hit you must instill a defensive mindset in your son. defense creates offense and protects him in a brutal sport.

Comment

u have a son but u can't let go of floyd's **** in yo mouth?

Comment

Originally posted by larryx2010 View Post
              his first day in the gym is monday and this is my first training job anyone got any advice for me?

Priority 1 = Good D
              Priority 2 = Good D
              Priotity 3 = Good D

you get the point........instinc will be to bang away, not move the head, not move the feet etc...........teach defence first........

Comment

Originally posted by Squirt View Post
                u have a son but u can't let go of floyd's **** in yo mouth?

c'mon now....was that really necessary??

Comment

Okay since everyone was on point with their advice, I will just add on.

IMO the most important thing is to make and keep it fun. If you like boxing a lot, then show it. That will leave a huge mental impression on your kid, because if he sees you enjoy it as well, such as watching fights with him, having small boxing convo's during bouts, and training along side him....that will not only be a good bonding experience, but make it something "fun" to do (instead of it being a chore). That is the biggest mistake most people make, and a lot of prospects get burned out because of it.

I would just say work on the fundamentals and small things, such as a jab and footwork, and keep it as a hobby or something you guys like to do for fun. If he starts to get serious about it then that is when you work on building him as a fighter either by teaching him or sending him to a trainer.

Comment

Pick on someone your own size Larry. Don't Lil man have an older cuzzin or something you can use for sparring instead?

I kid, I kid...

Just keep it simple and fun. Make sure he loves the sport N not just doing it to make you happy. Start slow but make sure you constantly throw new things in there for him to learn so he doesn't get bored. And my last bit of advice: make sure you're having fun. It'll rub off on the kid. Plus, you should just enjoy this wonderful bonding experience you get to have with your son.
                    Last edited by -The Glove-; 06-03-2010, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Probably not the advice you want Larry, but if I had a son and he wanted to get into boxing I'd wait until he was 13 or 14 before I let him take punches.

Comment

Working...
                      X