Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

my 9 year old son is starting his road to the ameturs monday.any advice?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
    Probably not the advice you want Larry, but if I had a son and he wanted to get into boxing I'd wait until he was 13 or 14 before I let him take punches.
    If he spars/fights kids his age they're not going to hit hard enough to cause damage. The worst I've seen is a cut lip.

Anyway, the best things to focus on are his balance, form and basic punches. More complicated things like fight stratergy and when to throw certain punches, countering etc. should be incorporated with the experience gained through sparring and amateur matches.

Comment

Get him a quality gasmask.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Mandingo View Post
        Tell him that in the future, if he feels that he can't beat an opponent, make a comfortable excuse like "I think he's on drugs" or "I need a year off" so as to kill the fight
        The average stan, ****ty and classless. Yall claim to be boxing fans yet every thing you say pertains to Mayweather/Pacquiao, a bunch of dick riders waiting for their next comfortable scrotum to hop on.

Comment

Originally posted by larryx2010 View Post
          his first day in the gym is monday and this is my first training job anyone got any advice for me?
          conditioning, conditioning, conditioning, and more conditioning. Oh...did i forget to mention conditioning??? Lol

Your son's 9. You'll have plenty of time to teach him proper technique as he becomes more disciplined and mentally prepared to learn. Conditioning in the meantime will be more than enough to make up for whatever he lacks in proper technique. cheers and good luck

Comment

Originally posted by larryx2010 View Post
            his first day in the gym is monday and this is my first training job anyone got any advice for me?
            Teach him not to throw hard punches, it will help him get his technique down better, it will help him develop a greatest understanding/appreciation for timing and distance, trust me.

Learn him to throw without clenching his fists in the gloves, it will make him much faster, he will be able to throw in flurries and not get as tired, plus he can throw hard punches when he decides to, as appose to all the time.

This type of thing also helps develop a good fluidity to your style because your always loose.

Comment

Hi Larry,
              First, I commend you and all other parents molding their kids into something beneficial in the years to come. This is good keeping them occupied than hanging on the streets. They’ll pick some discipline along the way. It appears that your kid like sport specially boxing. There is nothing I can add since the most important and basics are already printed. I might add backward movement, personal protective gear and plenty of water. good luck.

Comment

The best advice i will give to your son is to tell him to have no fear and not a coward like your idol floyd....... As a father i'm sure you will be proud of your son....

Comment

Originally posted by The Comedian View Post
                  Yall claim to be boxing fans yet every thing you say pertains to Mayweather/Pacquiao...
                  g abo

I was talking about Kfc fried chicken and Tai Ming's Roasted duck also.

Comment

The first month at least he should work purely on footwork and proper boxing stance.

I was about his age when I started, and my trainer didn't let me throw a single punch till I proved to him that I mastered the stance.

Do not make him spar too early, and especially with stronger kids. No, this won't make him a ***** quite the opposite. Let him fight kids his age and weight at first, and who you know are not too aggressive. If he gets his ass kicked in the ring too soon it will completely destroy his confidence, forever. Kids are like that, that stuff stays with you.
                    But also don't make him fight weaker kids for too long or else he'll get too comfortable and then he'll get his ass kicked the first time he steps in the ring with an able opponent, and his confidence will again go down the dump.
                    Its all about moderation and knowing when he is ready.

Whatever you do, do no pressure him. Motivation and encouragement is key.

P.S. Knuckle and finger push ups do wonders. You don't want him breaking hands the first time he punches too hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamite Kid View Post
                      Teach him not to throw hard punches, it will help him get his technique down better, it will help him develop a greatest understanding/appreciation for timing and distance, trust me.

Learn him to throw without clenching his fists in the gloves, it will make him much faster, he will be able to throw in flurries and not get as tired, plus he can throw hard punches when he decides to, as appose to all the time.

This type of thing also helps develop a good fluidity to your style because your always loose.

i second this. i have a 7 and 6 yr old. the 6 yr old for some reason is so natural at developing torque, giftef w mitts but he has issues in sparring. my 7 yr old loves floyd more than all the *****s here combined. i cant land a clean punch on this kid. he will slip jap, roll your right, bop and clinch u if u rush him. issue is he is big bone 87 lbs.

my advise is let them love it on their own. dont push too hard.

Comment

Working...
                      X