Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Paulie Malignaggi's Picks: Haney Unlikely to Return to P4P Lists After Exposure by Garcia

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll
    Haney took a risk and lost, so what? If he learns from his mistakes and makes adjustments he can come back better than before.

No need to write him off and say he can’t return to the P4P list.
    Yeah, not personally a fan of Haney, but giving credit where due he is by far the most active boxer from around that weight group and certainly the only one that is willing to actually do something worth mentioning which alone deserves some praise given how low some of these guys have gone.

In the past full year:
    • Devin Haney age 25 fought three times against Loma, Prograis, and Garcia. Sure the Loma match result was not exactly without controversy and he lost to Garcia, but the point is he actually bothered to fight three guys that are/were all considered around the top 5 of their weight class at the time.
    • Teofimo Lopez age 26 fought against Josh Taylor and Jermaine Ortiz.
    • Shakur Stevenson age 26 fought once against that infamous DLR match, then had his retirement and then his return that no one really cared.
    • Tank "fan proclaimed face of boxing lol" Davis age 29 fought ZERO times (technically his last fight against Garcia was on April 22 2023).
    Don't know if Haney gets back to P4P or not, but I am quite confident that at the least he will continue to be fighting which is not something you can say for some of the others.
    pnut901 pnut901 likes this.

Comment

I agree he shouldn't have been on the list to begin with but he's young. He could improve. I wouldn't write him off yet. Everybody was writing Garcia off and look what happened...
      Last edited by Apollo7; 04-28-2024, 05:49 AM.

Comment

There are things that I don't like about Haney personally but as a boxer he is professional in his approach to the sport. However he is killing his kidneys draining down to 140....he should fight at 147. But the problem there is he has little to no power and the bigger guys will wipe the canvas with him. And in addition his father does him no good at all in the corner.

So yes, Paulie, Devon has seen the last of the PFP lists.

Comment

Originally posted by Knuckle sandwich View Post
          I'm indifferent to haney and his boxing style, but he has been overly criticised, he's 25 with a good career ahead.
          Agreed...you don't become a two-weight world champion (including undisputed) by age 25 if you don't have SERIOUS talent. Also, Garcia took a beating against Tank including getting dropped twice and stopped but managed to bounce back so I can't see why Haney can't do the same. However, I always said to myself I consider Shakur, Tank, Teofimo + Garcia above him in terms of talent so as long as he stays away from those dudes, he'll be fine.

Comment

Usyk no. Because Chisora and Dubois.
            Inoue yes.
            Canelo no. Because John Ryder,
            Fury no. Because Ngannou, Chisora, and Whyte,
            Beterbiev no. Because Smith, Yard, Smith Jr, and Browne.
            Tank no. Because Hector Garcia and Rolly.
            Parker no. Because Simon Kean and Faiga Opelu.
            Crawford no. Because Avanesyan and Brook.
            Bivol no. Because Arthur and Salamov.

So basically you’re shi-tting on Haney, a guy that has taken on more risky opponents in his last 4 fights than any other major fighter or P4P guy outside of maybe Inoue. Just because he finally took an L.

I don’t know why you’d rather see guys nurse and protect a phony 0 instead. Aren’t you a boxing fan?
            See, I knew it.

“Name some fighters who have a better resume in their last 4.”

Names fighters.

“I disagree.”

It’s pointless dude, it’s all opinions. Don’t worry too much about people not liking Devin Haney. He’s a very unlikable guy and you’re going to pop a vein defending him. He’s not worth defending. But you die on that hill.
            Willy Wanker Willy Wanker likes this.

Comment

Why are you people so quick to write off a fighter after one loss? Why can’t you just see it as a chance to learn and come back stronger?

Do you prefer to see fighters protect phony undefeated records?
              I wrote him off before the loss. He got a gift decision vs Loma and struggled vs an aged Linares. I didn't see some p4p fighter. Haney is a good fighter. That's it.

I knew he wasn't the best in his division. The problem is this new soft boxing generation looks at titles and not how they were acquired. He will look good fighting average or barely above average fighters. He will not beat any of the real top Dawgs. But let's see him prove me wrong.

He's definitely won at life though. He made 35 million off a fight. He put in hard work to get that. Good for him. It's not hating or writing off. I believed he was overrated and the Garcia fight proved it. His own words proved it. Since he said Garcia was a basic fighter. And Tank actually made him look like it too.

Comment

People saying Haney is getting too much criticism...if you go around calling yourself p4p then you open yourself up to extra criticism. His father is annoying as hell and acts like he's the next Mayweather which makes people want to hate him even more.

Comment

You didn’t name any fighters that met the criteria, though. Except Inoue.

Just realize that you’re crapping on a guy who challenges himself and fights the best, just because he took his first L. Then in a few weeks you’re going to be complaining that boxers care too much about their undefeated records and don’t challenge themselves.
                  In your opinion, that’s why I was reluctant to list anyone, because I know where that was gonna go. It was a pointless question and it was pointless for me to answer it. I did it because I do respect you as a poster. But it was completely pointless and a waste of time and i’m done talking about that because that has turned into a, yes he is, no he’s not, discussion.

He took his first L vs Lomachenko in my scorecards, who he outweighed by a good bit. And looked pathetic vs Linares. Then outweighed Prograis by a good amount as well.

Comment

Haney took a risk and lost, so what? If he learns from his mistakes and makes adjustments he can come back better than before.

No need to write him off and say he can’t return to the P4P list.
                    He could, but he has a lot to prove. I think he took the fight with Garcia because he thought Garcia was one dimensional (left hook donkey), mentally in a bad spot, and yet famous enough to add a good name to add to his resume. He took the fight for the wrong reasons in my opinion, and I hate to say it, but I think he got "exposed". Garcia didn't just land a couple lucky punches, he landed his shots at will and Haney couldn't do anything about it but get up (which is commendable). Haney got outworked and outclassed twice now. He can certainly bounce back, but I don't think he was as good as we thought he was.

Comment

Originally posted by HisExcellency View Post

Agreed...you don't become a two-weight world champion (including undisputed) by age 25 if you don't have SERIOUS talent. Also, Garcia took a beating against Tank including getting dropped twice and stopped but managed to bounce back so I can't see why Haney can't do the same. However, I always said to myself I consider Shakur, Tank, Teofimo + Garcia above him in terms of talent so as long as he stays away from those dudes, he'll be fine.
                      Not making excuses for Garcia, but he was weight drained vs. Tank and that Kidney shot was picture perfect. Haney was supposed to be the boxer, but he got outworked by Garcia. That's not a good look.

Comment

Working...
                      X