Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Casual Fans overlooking Fury's mastery of his Era?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Casual Fans overlooking Fury's mastery of his Era?

Fury could've done a lot better, tending the flock and collecting hardware. That long medical sabbatical didn't help in the early phase of his reign, but it certainly may have saved his life, so the good folks will cut him slack there. Even now, however, he's big on issuing challenges and making other provocative statements designed to rile people up, and the fans have grown pretty tired of the show, and just want him to fight, and preferably, fight the best!

But looking back carefully at the Tyson Fury era of Heavyweight history, we can see that he hasn't done as badly as all that, with 10 fights against the 50 best of the era (based on a pretty good list of the 50 best).

What are your thoughts about how he's been doing?

This Generation 2015-2025 - Heavyweights

2013 - 2023

1. Tyson Fury
    2. Deontay Wilder
    2. Deontay Wilder
    2. Deontay Wilder
    3. Oleksandr Usyk
    4. Anthony Joshua
    5. Wladimir Klitschko
    6. Zhilei Zhang
    7. Andy Ruiz Jr
    8. Luis Ortiz
    9. Alexander Povetkin
    10.Dillian Whyte
    11.Joe Joyce
    12.Daniel Dubois
    13.Filip Hrgovic
    14.Jarrell Miller
    15.Joseph Parker
    16.Kubrat Pulev
    17.Otto Wallin
    18.Frank Sanchez
    19.Robert Helenius
    20.Derek Chisora
    20.Derek Chisora
    20.Derek Chisora
    21. Arslanbek Makhmudov
    22.Charles Martin
    23.Carlos Takam
    24.Martin Bakole
    25.Jared Anderson
    26.Tomasz Adamek
    27.Chris Arreola
    28.Tony Thompson
    29.Bermane Stiverne
    30.Michael Hunter
    31.Tony Yoka
    32.Johann Duhaupas
    33.Bakhodir Jalolov
    34.Efe Ajagba
    35.Daniel Dubois
    36.David Haye
    37.Bryant Jennings
    38.Agit Kabayel
    39.Gerald Washington
    40.Murat Gassiev
    41.Jermaine Franklin
    42.Shannon Briggs
    43.Dominic Breazeale
    44.Adam Kownacki
    45.Ruslan Chagaev
    46.Fabio Wardley
    47.Christian Hammer
    48.Alexander Dimetrienko
    49.Aleksandr Ustinov
    50.Hugie Fury​​

The bullpen:

Simon Kean , Zhan Kossobutskiy, Ivan Dychko, Mariuz Wach, Richard Torrez Jr., Stephen Shaw, Mairis Briedis, Ali Erin Demirezen, Oscar Rivas, Vladyslav Sirenko, David Price, Artur Szpilka, Eric Molina, Lucas Browne, Jerry Forrest, Francisco Pianeta, Lenier Pero, Jonathan Rice, Tom Schwarz, Travis Kaufman, Alex Leapai, Vyacheslav Glazkov, Demsey McKean, Kevin Lerena, Jerry Forrest, Rostislav Plechko, Izuagbe Ugonoh, Amir Mansour, Justice Huni, David Allen, Erkan Teper, Eddie Chambers, Sergey Kuzmin, Malik Scott, Edmund Gerber, Trevor Bryan, Nathan Gorman, Evgeny Romanov, Johnathan Guidry, Razvan Cojanu, Agron Smakici, Viktor Vykhryst, Jose Larduet, Bogdan Dinu, Andrey Fedosov, Attila Levin, David Adeleye, Michael Wallisch, Oleksandr Zakhozhyi, Frazier Clarke, Kingpin Johnson, Joe Cusumano, Mahoud "Manuel" Charr, Michael Polite Coffie, Audley Harrison, Kem Ljungquist, Dillon Carman, Junior Fa, Albert Sosnowski, Fres Oquendo, Mike Balogun, Andrii Rudenko, Marcin Siwy, Deontae Pettigrew, Derric Rossy, Mike Perez, Tre Lippe, Sam ***ton, Odlanier Solis, Joey Dawejko, Solomon Haumono, Przemyslaw Saleta, Kertson Manswell, Joe Hanks, Gurgen Hovhannisyan, Joey Abell, Hemi Ahio, Alexis Santos, Ebenezer Tetteh, Tor Hamer, Agron Smakici, Raphael Akpejiori, Joseph Goodall, Chazz Witherspoon, Darmani Rock, Joshua Tufte, Kelvin Price, Apti Davtaev, Miljan Rovcanin, George Arias, Seth Mitchell, Gary Cornish, Lenroy Thomas, Cassius Chaney, Bronco Billy Wright, James McKenzie Morrison, Kash Ali, Fred Kassi, Peter Kadiru, Adrian Granat, Sonny Conto, Franz Rill, Daniel Martz, Leif Larsen
    Last edited by Willow The Wisp; 09-27-2023, 07:04 PM.
    MoonCheese Marchegiano likes this.

No argument here. Like you said, he could do better, but in the scope of history he's doing fine.
    billeau2 billeau2 likes this.

Comment

Fury is goated for his era, undeniable skills, high in ring IQ and can switch up fight styles from camp to camp.

Comment

He's fighting an MMA fighter rather than the number two in the division. It's the job of apologists to justify that.

Comment

Originally posted by dan-b View Post
          He's fighting an MMA fighter rather than the number two in the division. It's the job of apologists to justify that.
          ....and the job of promoters, managers, sanctioning bodies, networks and the fighters themselves is to make the most in-demand fights happen.

Off the cuff, I'd say that for Fury, the Usyk, Zhang, Joshua, Ruiz and yes, oddly, the Ngannou fights all fit the bill.

But....If I were to be charged with crafting his legacy, I would make the Usyk fight first, followed by Joshua, Zhang, Ngannou and Ruiz.
          billeau2 billeau2 likes this.

Comment

"Fury doesn't have to fight another boxer. He beats them all anyway. He's my king"

- beta cuckold Fury fan boys

absolutely pathetic

Comment

Originally posted by dan-b View Post
              Usyk own team said they pulled out. AJs team clearly never wanted fury either since his usyk loss. They still don't want wilder but eddies fed you all lies it was done or that they want wilder next. They do not. I told you all he wouldn't even fight wilder. All year whilst everyone else believed the december hype. Fury zhang was going to happen till joyce triggered rematch. Fury ngannou is a joke buts its one of those big money fights thst attracts a big casual audience.

i think fury usyk happens next and i said all along it will before wilder aj does. Fury usyk were both preferring the saudi money and saudi will be ready to make it happen 2024 first half. they were not wanting it beginning of this year there were no offers at any point.

let's see what happens in 2024. Cause some of these running out of tines wilder is 38 soon.zhang is 40. Aj aint fighting wilder next. So lets see what happens in the next year or next fights
              Willow The Wisp Willow The Wisp likes this.

Comment

I personally think Fury is overrated. He was on PEDs for his best win against Klitschko, who only threw 231 punches the whole fight. Against Povetkin he threw over 400. 545 in his previous fight v Jennings. In addition to being on nandrolone, Fury also complained about the gloves, the ring canvas, and the hand wraps. Klitschko then got knocked out and retired by Joshua.

He got dropped by a former cruiserweight in Cunningham.

People on here seem to think that Wilder is trash, so if you're one of those people, you shouldn't rate his wins over Wilder at all. If Wilder is a bum, then you can't give Fury credit for beating him. And if you do rate Wilder and want to give Fury credit for beating him, you should give Wilder credit for dropping Fury 4 times. Can't have it both ways. And Fury had to be forced by the courts into the contractual rematch, rather than just honoring it, which ended up costing us a chance for Joshua v Fury.

Dillian Whyte had already lost to AJ and Povetkin before fighting Fury.

And then he killed negotiations again for undisputed by pissing about the purse for the loser in the rematch, and says he has no interest in fighting the best. He's only ever fought the "best" as champion when forced to. There's asterisks and controversy over every one of his best wins, except maybe for Wilder 3.

The guy is excellent at keeping himself in the public eye with his antics, but he's on top on the strength of beating Wilder twice, which only happened because he barely managed to get up after being flattened in the first fight, and a drug enhanced win over a faded Klitschko. Both Klitschko and Whyte had one of the worst performances of their careers against him, and he got dropped by Cunningham and by Wilder, who's supposed to be trash.

I would like to see him fight at least Usyk and AJ, and maybe any of Ruiz/Zhang/Ortiz/Anderson/Sánchez to provide a proper measuring stick, and to do so without any "wild boar."

Comment

There are always different perspectives. I do not think we can quite look at this era under any historical light just yet. What Fury is is a heal of sorts... Mayweather who know is regarded respectfully was also a heal who could not sell a fight to save his soul until he left Arum (/satanic Bob) and fought a fighter who had matinee looks with a love for women's undergarments (Oscar). It really was not until later in Mayweather's career when he was past his best weight that people gave him more respect and made him a draw...

My point here is that Fury could do any number of things that would change his trajectory considerably. I always feel like the promoters have royally fcked the sport, but that is just me. If Fury, Usyk, Wilder decided to fight for legacy, and not really ridiculous amounts of Saudi money promised... it would make things very nice. If, on the other hand, they do not, something has to rescue boxing from the darth of bouts, the lack of fighters self promoting, because Satanic Bob is too evil to pass gently in the night.

It is ironic. I cannot say I am not glad to see fighters empowered, KIng put on great cards, fighters fought for legacy, and he broke most of them... Not acceptable. But what we have these days is not really acceptable either. I prefer that the fighters are better off... I really was hoping that the Paul brothers would make a lightbulb go off for some of these guys... But it does not look like it happened. As much as I dislike those two they are great promoters for their fighters and have put a sustainable model out there for fighters when they are ready to get with the program. In the meantime? Lets see how much longer Fury, boxing in general can coast along with fighters not fighting each other.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing 112 View Post

Usyk own team said they pulled out. AJs team clearly never wanted fury either since his usyk loss. They still don't want wilder but eddies fed you all lies it was done or that they want wilder next. They do not. I told you all he wouldn't even fight wilder. All year whilst everyone else believed the december hype. Fury zhang was going to happen till joyce triggered rematch. Fury ngannou is a joke buts its one of those big money fights thst attracts a big casual audience.

i think fury usyk happens next and i said all along it will before wilder aj does. Fury usyk were both preferring the saudi money and saudi will be ready to make it happen 2024 first half. they were not wanting it beginning of this year there were no offers at any point.

let's see what happens in 2024. Cause some of these running out of tines wilder is 38 soon.zhang is 40. Aj aint fighting wilder next. So lets see what happens in the next year or next fights
                    There is a tendency for a gold rush mentality to take hold of these fighters in the twilight of their career. marinate a fight and cash out... always the promise of a rematch... There is not sense of urgency, or o cancel the call of legacy. I do not think anyone fighter, or promoter can be blamed. The truth is, if Fury and Usyk really wanted to fight, the fight could be made somehow.
                    Willow The Wisp Willow The Wisp likes this.

Comment

Working...
                    X