Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Calzaghe Not Sure if Joshua Made Right Decision in Picking Garcia as Trainer

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ultimately no one knows if Joshua/Garcia is a good pairing, there are so many factors that contribute to the outcome. All you can really say is see what happens in the ring after a few fights.

Comment

He’s 100% correct Robert Garcia has never won a big fight as coach. Except Maidan vs Broner but I don’t think this is a fight at the top level tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by thack View Post
        Joe's right .If Joshua's needed aggressive change doesn't do the business and he gases he will be a sitting duck for Usyk to take him apart this is why Usyk is the betting favourite this time around as it's hard to see any other way that Joshua can win without imposing his size and power .The clever boxer will beat him again and Joshua needs to wake up to the fact he didn't' look like Ali in there last time just a big guy who for most part looked clueless and was getting his head boxed off by a better but smaller fighter. Wilder would walk straight trough Uysk , Fury would maul and hammer him , Joshua has a punchers chance but I like the bookies expect Usyk to win and possibly get the stoppage this time.

Usyk will tag Fury to the body all night, and will destroy Wilder. The HW division hasn’t had a actual boxer for some years, but they have now, and he’s about to show everyone up.

Everything else you said, I 120% agree with. There is no strategy AJ can employ to win, but this one will see humiliated.

Comment

Interesting to me that for all the apparent expertise of these boxing “experts”, gurus, trainers, pundits, and ex-fighters, their best advice for AJ is to be really, really big and ‘ard.

Can we hear from some proper old-school boxing experts, now? Maybe someone from the Soviet Bloc, I don’t know. How do you actually take down a fleet-footed southpaw with excellent ring generalship?
          Last edited by P to the J; 07-28-2022, 11:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LAchargers373 View Post

joe was great but he hid in england throughout hopkins and RJJs and toneys primes. I think those 3 beat him. He’s much younger than all 3 and caught hopkins and Jones jr on their farewell laps.
            Hopkins ducked him years before they fought. Priced himself out. Look it up. He said yes to the fight, went away to watch footage and come back the next day saying he wanted double the money.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldskoolg View Post
              Nah, Joe wouldn’t have defeated Roy Jones in jones’ prime. There was not one advantage Calzaghe had over a prime jones. Not power not speed not ring generalship, etc. Joe got Roy on the heavy downside to his career, after repeatedly being brutally knocked out after losing 22 lbs of pure muscle and water after the Ruiz fight that utterly killed Jones’ ability to take a punch and ruined his legs. Roy should have retired after that Ruiz fight, and certainly not moved back down to 175 after fighting Ruiz at 197. That moved combined with jones being in his 30s and already slowing down a bit just ruined him. Prior to that, Jones was the greatest pure talent I had ever seen in the ring. He fought long after he should have and that hurt his legacy.
              193 with absolutely no hydration BS is not really 22 pounds different from weighing in at 175 and then re-hydrating. Probably a few pounds of muscle was lost in that process but 22 is way off the mark.

Not saying you're totally wrong but you exaggerate, a lot.

Comment

I spoke to Joe at length one time before his training camp before his fight with undefeated (at the time) Mikkel Kessler .His knowledge of boxing is second to none but then I suppose that 's why he went undefeated throughout his professional career and left when he was slowing down at the perfect time. He like me has no time for the mugs who know little. I spoke with a avid Roy Jones fan at ring side during their contest who had watched Roy throughout his career and he conceded that as brilliant as Roy was in his prime he would have always lost to Joe Calzaghe with his iron chin, style and work rate that no one ever got the better of. Joe certainly knows the game inside out.
                And you believe that? Lol. To each his own.

Comment

I spoke to Joe at length one time before his training camp before his fight with undefeated (at the time) Mikkel Kessler .His knowledge of boxing is second to none but then I suppose that 's why he went undefeated throughout his professional career and left when he was slowing down at the perfect time. He like me has no time for the mugs who know little. I spoke with a avid Roy Jones fan at ring side during their contest who had watched Roy throughout his career and he conceded that as brilliant as Roy was in his prime he would have always lost to Joe Calzaghe with his iron chin, style and work rate that no one ever got the better of. Joe certainly knows the game inside out.
                  Robin Reid begs to differ.

Comment

Originally posted by P to the J View Post
                    Interesting to me that for all the apparent expertise of these boxing “experts”, gurus, trainers, pundits, and ex-fighters, their best advice for AJ is to be really, really big and ‘are.

Can we hear from some proper old-school boxing experts, now? Maybe someone from the Soviet Bloc, I don’t know. How do you actually take down a fleet-footed southpaw with excellent ring generalship?
                    Good question! If I was asked...and I know very little, but come from boxing as a martial artist, so I have a unique perspective of sorts... I think any fighter needs tools... precisely because of differences and because styles can make fights. Hence the importance of being well rounded to start with!

Specifically, I would teach Aj to fight off the back leg and the false center line for his head placement. When you fight off the back foot it gives you time to react to an opponent who is slick. it also lets you determine when they come in to your space... let Usyk try to find his head (false centerline) while Aj parries shots and jabs at usyk. Make usyk come in and expose himself...

Comment

Originally posted by PredatorStyle View Post

WatDaFuq?? Surely you can find a more suitable comparison?
                      That's a good comparison considering the trainer. Calculated aggression he has to back usyk not play at his range.

Comment

Working...
                      X