Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Calzaghe Not Sure if Joshua Made Right Decision in Picking Garcia as Trainer

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ragga1 View Post

I saw an interview with Calzaghe where he stated that the only fighter he would have not been sure of beating was a prime Roy Jones Jr. Straight from the horses mouth! I rate Joe as the best UK fighter I've seen, he was at the top end of elite.
    joe was great but he hid in england throughout hopkins and RJJs and toneys primes. I think those 3 beat him. He’s much younger than all 3 and caught hopkins and Jones jr on their farewell laps.

Comment

Originally posted by Regge View Post
      Again Calzaghe is wrong like always. Garcia is arguably the best trainer In boxing today he's the best pressure but calculated trainer you can find and that's what Aj needs smart aggression. If he tries to box like last time he loses again clearly so he went with the best option out there.

Silly Joe probably would have went with a straight "slick" boxing trainer lol

Aj will break Usyk down and impose a similar style to Bam Rodriguez just in a big version smart aggression is the key.
      If Joshua loses, it won't be because of Garcia.

Garcia is going to be saying all the right things in training, and making sure Joshua trains optimally.

This fight will be down to Joshua, can he carry out the game plan on fight night or not? That is what this fight is all about.

Comment

Calzaghe was 36 years old when he fought RJJ and Hopkins, hardly in his prime himself, and he beat them both handily. Hopkins went on to win World championships after his defeat by Calzaghe, whereby Calzaghe retired after his next fight when he beat RJJ. Its clear that Hopkins had more left in the tank and still lost to Calzaghe.

Haters gonna hate I suppose.

Comment

I was hoping Calzaghe would have elaborated why he thinks Garcia isn't the right choice. I guess most people think it will be an interesting fight. So he didn't say anything newsworthy here.

Comment

Originally posted by thack View Post
            I spoke to Joe at length one time before his training camp before his fight with undefeated (at the time) Mikkel Kessler .His knowledge of boxing is second to none but then I suppose that 's why he went undefeated throughout his professional career and left when he was slowing down at the perfect time. He like me has no time for the mugs who know little. I spoke with a avid Roy Jones fan at ring side during their contest who had watched Roy throughout his career and he conceded that as brilliant as Roy was in his prime he would have always lost to Joe Calzaghe with his iron chin, style and work rate that no one ever got the better of. Joe certainly knows the game inside out.
            Calzaghe was a great boxer but his boxing opinions and tv work are as dull as dishwater

Comment

Originally posted by Atletisock View Post
              Calzaghe was 36 years old when he fought RJJ and Hopkins, hardly in his prime himself, and he beat them both handily. Hopkins went on to win World championships after his defeat by Calzaghe, whereby Calzaghe retired after his next fight when he beat RJJ. Its clear that Hopkins had more left in the tank and still lost to Calzaghe.

Had he been brutally knocked out more than once after jumping to heavyweight and then back down to light heavyweight by draining himself? Stating “haters gonna hate” doesn’t make a point. Especially when Calzaghe himself thinks that a prime jones beats him

Comment

Originally posted by LAchargers373 View Post

joe was great but he hid in england throughout hopkins and RJJs and toneys primes. I think those 3 beat him. He’s much younger than all 3 and caught hopkins and Jones jr on their farewell laps.
                I will add this, Nigel Benn would have BRUTALLY stopped Calzaghe I’m his prime as well

Comment

Originally posted by thack View Post
                  I spoke to Joe at length one time before his training camp before his fight with undefeated (at the time) Mikkel Kessler .His knowledge of boxing is second to none but then I suppose that 's why he went undefeated throughout his professional career and left when he was slowing down at the perfect time. He like me has no time for the mugs who know little. I spoke with a avid Roy Jones fan at ring side during their contest who had watched Roy throughout his career and he conceded that as brilliant as Roy was in his prime he would have always lost to Joe Calzaghe with his iron chin, style and work rate that no one ever got the better of. Joe certainly knows the game inside out.
                  Oh sure, he is the most knowledgeable person in the world on boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by LAchargers373 View Post

Hopkins and Jones Jr could have come over to the UK in their primes, but didn’t. The argument works both ways. Calzaghe was also well past his prime with brittle hands by the time he fought both. Theoretically matched up I don’t think believe prime Calzaghe beats Jones Jr, but I think he beats prime Hopkins.

Comment

Originally posted by Atletisock View Post

A lot of people think Hopkins won so no, not handily and he got dropped lol.

Joe stayed in one class and made a career of fighting B & C level fighters, he was a lot more fresh at 36. Jones and Hopkins had a lot of hard fights and the age for them took their best abilities which were reflex based. Even a shadow of Jones dropped Joe with a wrist punch, his wrist landed!

If Byron Mitchell could drop Joe, young Jones sparks Calzaghe. Any of the top guys from that time in the US stops Joe. Why do you think he never went over the pond

Comment

Working...
                      X