Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Calzaghe Not Sure if Joshua Made Right Decision in Picking Garcia as Trainer

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
    Former two division champion Joe Calzaghe is not sure, at least not yet, if heavyweight contender Anthony Joshua made the right decision in selecting Robert Garcia as the trainer to prepare him for the rematch with Oleksandr Usyk.
    [Click Here To Read More]
    I tend to agree. I would of picked the guy who worked with Emanuel Stewart, Klitschco bros or Lennox Lewis. Any trainer who understands how to fight big.

Comment

Not that is how to write a news article!
      "Joe, do you think Joshua was right to hire Garcia?!"

Joe: "I'm not sure."

HOLD THE FRONT PAGE!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by PredatorStyle View Post

He will have to have "conquered his demons" from that fight to have a chance. He'll have to go for broke.
        ]We'll see but history is not on his side. When 'Quiet Man' John Ruiz got obliterated by David Tua he was then known as "huggy bear" for his propensity to grab and hug his opponents in order to avoid engaging with them.

Wladimir Klitschko when he was stopped by Lamon Brewster was never the same fighter again. He had gone from a pure slugger to a plain boxer/puncher with a grab and jab style.

I can go on and on with example of these type of fighters. When Hector Camacho got buzzed by Edwin Rosario at Madison Square Garden in 1986; He was never the same fighter again.. He became just your typical stick and move type of boxer.

These fighters weren't ruined but they were definitely psychologically and permanently scarred. They still remembered those times when they were either, buzzed, hurt or knocked out. They were all forced to change their fighting styles because of it.

Comment

Originally posted by LAchargers373 View Post

joe was great but he hid in england throughout hopkins and RJJs and toneys primes. I think those 3 beat him. He’s much younger than all 3 and caught hopkins and Jones jr on their farewell laps.
          Uh! Excuse me but I thought Calzaghe was from Wales.
          P to the J P to the J likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post

Good question! If I was asked...and I know very little, but come from boxing as a martial artist, so I have a unique perspective of sorts... I think any fighter needs tools... precisely because of differences and because styles can make fights. Hence the importance of being well rounded to start with!

Specifically, I would teach Aj to fight off the back leg and the false center line for his head placement. When you fight off the back foot it gives you time to react to an opponent who is slick. it also lets you determine when they come in to your space... let Usyk try to find his head (false centerline) while Aj parries shots and jabs at usyk. Make usyk come in and expose himself...

So you’re effectively asking hiim to become a counterpuncher for a bout (is that right?) rather than fighting at mid-range or whatever the hell that was in the first fight?

Interesting that everyone else’s advice is to run at Usyk; though personally, I think only Fury could (I emphasise ‘could’) beat him fighting the way you’re asking. AJ doesn’t know how, IMO, but it’s certainly a more interesting, and less banal idea than everything else I’ve heard

Comment

Originally posted by MONGOOSE66 View Post

I tend to agree. I would of picked the guy who worked with Emanuel Stewart, Klitschco bros or Lennox Lewis. Any trainer who understands how to fight big.

Jonathon Banks? Don’t get me wrong, AJ could have done with a coach like that years ago, when he was developing, perhaps not not now that he’s too long in the tooth. But wasn’t wlad getting trained by him when Usyk kicked his ass?

Comment

Originally posted by P to the J View Post

Jonathon Banks? Don’t get me wrong, AJ could have done with a coach like that years ago, when he was developing, perhaps not not now that he’s too long in the tooth. But wasn’t wlad getting trained by him when Usyk kicked his ass?
                I don’t consider him a elite trainer of big men.

Comment

Joe Calzahe never said Garcia was or wasn't the right guy, he said he doesn't know, and wants to see. No one knows. But Joshua is no dummy, he's very cerebral. He came to the states and spent time and trained with several well known trainers, and he obviously went with who he felt was the best fit for him. He must have felt good chemistry with Garcia. I'm sure Grandpa is motivated even more by having a big strong athletic heavyweight who's smart, obedient, and does whatever u tell him to, and has a strong work ethic. Those are dream qualities for a trainer to work with, and now, Grandpa is smarter and more experienced than ever. He'll get a lot out of AJ, and AJ will be a good student under Garcia. My early prediction is look for AJ to improve in several categories under Garcia and become a noticeably better fighter than we've seen previously
                  Last edited by archiemoore1; 07-29-2022, 12:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MONGOOSE66 View Post

I don’t consider him a elite trainer of big men.
                    Oh wait, no, you meant the other guy who ppl have been saying was one of the brains of the Steward operation. Can’t remember his name because I’m too much of a casual, but yeah I get you

Comment

Originally posted by sege64 View Post
                      Not that is how to write a news article!
                      "Joe, do you think Joshua was right to hire Garcia?!"

Joe: "I'm not sure."

HOLD THE FRONT PAGE!!!!
                      I don’t really think it matters as very few read the articles on here and make up their own story . Read the comments at least half of posts on here said things that weren’t even by Joe in the article as if they are agreeing with themselves ?

Comment

Working...
                      X