Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Calzaghe Not Sure if Joshua Made Right Decision in Picking Garcia as Trainer

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by archiemoore1 View Post
    Joe Calzahe never said Garcia was or wasn't the right guy, he said he doesn't know, and wants to see. No one knows. But Joshua is no dummy, he's very cerebral. He came to the states and spent time and trained with several well known trainers, and he obviously went with who he felt was the best fit for him. He must have felt good chemistry with Garcia. I'm sure Grandpa is motivated even more by having a big strong athletic heavyweight who's smart, obedient, and does whatever u tell him to, and has a strong work ethic. Those are dream qualities for a trainer to work with, and now, Grandpa is smarter and more experienced than ever. He'll get a lot out of AJ, and AJ will be a good student under Garcia. My early prediction is look for AJ to improve in several categories under Garcia and become a noticeably better fighter than we've seen previously
    Yes, if somebody like Anthony Joshua walked through a head trainers boxing gyms doors? Done a few rounds on the bags, pads, and showed them how athletic he was 'They would immediately see benefits in training him'.

Joshua is the type of fighter who will listen to trainers, and he can be molded to a certain extent.

Joshua has not come thus-far without being able to learn at a abnormal rate 'People seem to forget that he took up boxing very late'.

If Joshua loses this rematch, it is not because Garcia is the wrong trainer. I think Garcia will get Joshua to commit to the right game plan in camp and tactics on fight night etc.

Comment

Originally posted by P to the J View Post

So you’re effectively asking hiim to become a counterpuncher for a bout (is that right?) rather than fighting at mid-range or whatever the hell that was in the first fight?

Interesting that everyone else’s advice is to run at Usyk; though personally, I think only Fury could (I emphasise ‘could’) beat him fighting the way you’re asking. AJ doesn’t know how, IMO, but it’s certainly a more interesting, and less banal idea than everything else I’ve heard
      Not a counter puncher, but to give himself an extra few feet to see Usyke coming. Parrying meaning to catch the shots in that space where Usyke is coming in... Using the jab... Just catching Usyk in that space and gradually shifting weight and becoming more aggressive as the attacks are more familiar.

You see there are two ways to overcome speed: One way is angles... the other way is to create distance. AJ needs a chance to get used to Usyke's attack, one way of doing this is to increase reaction time. But no AJ should not become a counter puncher, just initially use his jab and reach, and gradually start to get more aggressive.
      P to the J P to the J likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Regge View Post
        Again Calzaghe is wrong like always. Garcia is arguably the best trainer In boxing today he's the best pressure but calculated trainer you can find and that's what Aj needs smart aggression. If he tries to box like last time he loses again clearly so he went with the best option out there.

Silly Joe probably would have went with a straight "slick" boxing trainer lol

Aj will break Usyk down and impose a similar style to Bam Rodriguez just in a big version smart aggression is the key.
        LOL Regge - there is no way AJ comes out looking like that.

BUT....I posted a couple of times that Bam is one of the few in the sport who I'd choose as a "sparring partner" for AJ to get in the ring and move with- not for the real sparring but just to familiarize himself with the angles again that's what Bam could offer imo. And he just so happens to be trained by Garcia as you know.

Could be too much of an ego hit for a HW to resort to that, if Usyk finds out, I'm sure he willbe clowning
        Last edited by LA_2_Vegas; 07-29-2022, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post

Not a counter puncher, but to give himself an extra few feet to see Usyke coming. Parrying meaning to catch the shots in that space where Usyke is coming in... Using the jab... Just catching Usyk in that space and gradually shifting weight and becoming more aggressive as the attacks are more familiar.

You see there are two ways to overcome speed: One way is angles... the other way is to create distance. AJ needs a chance to get used to Usyke's attack, one way of doing this is to increase reaction time. But no AJ should not become a counter puncher, just initially use his jab and reach, and gradually start to get more aggressive.
          Interesting breakdown from a martial arts perspective, that. That’s why you need fresh eyes in this sport, sometimes
          billeau2 billeau2 likes this.

Comment

Working...
          X