Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Gary Russell: I Gave Magsayo a Boxing Lesson, I Felt Like I Won The Fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They almost robbed Magsayo.

Draw, 115-113, 115-113.

crazy
    Last edited by Ganondorf; 01-23-2022, 01:49 PM.
    Mike con likes this.

Comment

I beat him with my good arm? Gary knows that arthritis isn't going anywhere.

Comment

This was a close one. Magsayo didn't press hard enough and I thought Russell was landing cleaner. Didn't shock me that one judge had a draw. Magsayo deserved the win, but he left too much room for doubt in several rounds. That's how fights get away from you.

Comment

First it's just pain, but it affects the bone over time. That would explain the long lay offs. Arthritis is not something a pro fighter would want to talk about, or pull out for. It's never going away.

Comment

Originally posted by nacho daddy View Post

bullschit. Mark walked thru russells punches landed savage body punches was faster even moving his body while punching or getting out after. he was faster tougher sharper and younger. if they fight again russell goes down a few times if not out
            you do know that he couldn’t even knock down a 2 year out the ring and one armed fighter. What makes you think he can do it with a active and 2 armed Gary? Mark slowed down tremendously in the later rounds and was missing like crazy. I think Gary could have easily jabbed and pop shotted mark to a less than stellar victory.

Comment

Sour grapes Russell dont deserve a rematch should fall in the cue, Magsayo beat him fair and square.
              Wacked_Out likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronx2245 View Post
                I think he still could've had a rematch clause, but his arrogance probably made him feel he didn't need it, just like Loma vs.Lopez!
                No! Only if Team Mark Magsayo would have agreed to it because Team Mark Magsayo didn't owe Gary Russell, Jr a rematch clause unless it was ordered by the sanctioning body. He was not some voluntary challenger or an optional defense.

Once again he was the mandatory challenger. Therefore, Russell had to fight him or else he would have been stripped and had to forfeit his title belt. Therefore, it wasn't Team Russell's right to give Mark a rematch clause unless he agreed to accept one.

However, Mark's team exercised their right to not to accept one at that particular time. Loma vs Lopez was different because it was a voluntary unification bout In which case both parties had the right to exercise a rematch clause if they wanted to.

They didn't have to fight one another if they didn't want to. So a rematch clause was very feasible in that situation. If Gary Russell truly feels that he is entitled to a rematch then let him petition the WBC for one. They are the only ones who could grant him one at this time.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenfield02 View Post
                  I wanted to like Russell, but all this fighting every other year non-sense was ridiculous. Finally they can move on.
                  I feel the same way.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeMoney View Post

This is the ambiguity of scoring criteria playing out in some people's minds:

Effective Aggression: Magsayo was missing upwards of 30 punches per round, so in the eyes of some he wasn't 'effective'. Russell was only missing about 15-20 a round, ergo he was more effective.

Defense: Magsayo missed more than Russell, ergo Russell's defense was better

Ring Generalship: Russell was able to pick and choose when he threw his punches, thats what he wants. He was fighting his fight- so he was the ring general.

Hard & Clean Punches: Most of Magsayo's punches werent landing. But even if its a wash in this category, theyve already convinced themselves Russell has won based on the other three.

I know a lot of pretentious boxing know-it-alls who think like this, it allows them to hold sway in their minds over those of us who tend to score a round for the fighter who lands more and lands better.
                    Russell didn't lose the fight because he made the other fella miss. He lost the fight because he just wasn't active enough. One cannot reasonably expect to win a fight by not throwing enough punches. Gary Russell, Jr's work rate and punch output was way too low to justify him winning that fight.

Also, I am getting tired of this injured shoulder excuse. Nice try! The man shoulder wasn't injured. It's just that now he is a shot and ruined fighter who needs to retire. His skills have diminished dramatically overnight. Before his last fight there were no subtle signs of his physical decline whatsoever but now there is.

The man is just plain fat, old, slow and tired. He was out of shape and didn't train or spar very much for this fight and it showed in his lack of conditioning and stamina. In addition, there was no punch volume, accuracy, speed, timing or precision on his punches either.

Comment

Originally posted by nacho daddy View Post

bullschit. Mark walked thru russells punches landed savage body punches was faster even moving his body while punching or getting out after. he was faster tougher sharper and younger. if they fight again russell goes down a few times if not out
                      I don't see that.

Magsayo was low pressure, low activity, and incredibly predictable (from my seat on the couch).

He looks like he studied Pacman a bit, but hangs back too much (and stop messing with your waistband man, it's like OCD level).

GRJ def lost. But I feel Mag was flustered a few times by him when russel threw a flurry, as opposed to Mag's two or three punch combos. Only judging from this fight, I don't think he likes pressure.

Secondly, he lunged in a lot and GRJ ducked to his right and exited. A fighter with a strong and working right arm is catching him clean a lot with those antics. Again, that's just judging from this fight only.

Comment

Working...
                      X