No announcement yet.

Why Are People So Opposed to PPVs?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KTFOKING View Post

Absolutely, once a fighter can no longer sell, then they will be taken off of PPV.

That is the right of every person but no one should lose their mind when fights go on PPV.
    I don't see it as people losing their minds.

More like we have to be vocal and smarten up or remind our fellow fans about not supporting crap PPVs. That way the boxing fan base can present a unified front of sorts and really hit the promoters in the pocketbook.

That's the only way to get their attention and force a change.

Comment

Originally posted by CornerCutman View Post
      I don't mind PPV for a big event where I can get a bunch of friends to come over, chip in 5-10 bucks, and have a good time. The problem is that the bar for PPV is lower than the bar for casuals. My friends don't care about Crawford-Porter, for example - but I do. I'll watch fights every weekend, but they won't. This is important to me also - if I "sell" friends on coming over for a fight where they know nothing about the boxers nor have any excitement for it, there's this kind of pressure for the fight and the undercard to be entertaining. I don't want to play promoter, I want to sit back with a cold beer and watch the fights.

Also, since I'm a student I can't afford buying a PPV on my own more than a couple of times a year, even with my job and whatnot. I make enough to cover tuition and living expenses, so when choosing between investing in myself or in boxing I'm faced with a pretty clear choice.
      And I get your situation. It was only after I was out of college and had a good paying job that I started to buy the PPVs. Ever since then, I purchase pretty much every PPV. For you, it does not make sense to buy all the PPVs or even most of them, but you can still watch the fights on streams. This isn't the 90s or the early 00s, almost all of these PPVs are streamed and available for the fans.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post

I don't see it as people losing their minds.

More like we have to be vocal and smarten up or remind our fellow fans about not supporting crap PPVs. That way the boxing fan base can present a unified front of sorts and really hit the promoters in the pocketbook.

That's the only way to get their attention and force a change.
        Oh no, many people do lose their minds. The DAZN announcement or soon to be announcement has fans all pissed off.

Comment

Oh no, many people do lose their minds. The DAZN announcement or soon to be announcement has fans all pissed off.
          My point is just to explain why people get vocal about certain PPVs. That applies to DAZN's announcement too.

​​​​​

Comment

My point is just to explain why people get vocal about certain PPVs. That applies to DAZN's announcement too.

​​​​​
            But no PPV fight was even announced...Just that DAZN will start to utilize PPVs.

Comment

Originally posted by CornerCutman View Post
              I don't mind PPV for a big event where I can get a bunch of friends to come over, chip in 5-10 bucks, and have a good time. The problem is that the bar for PPV is lower than the bar for casuals. My friends don't care about Crawford-Porter, for example - but I do. I'll watch fights every weekend, but they won't. This is important to me also - if I "sell" friends on coming over for a fight where they know nothing about the boxers nor have any excitement for it, there's this kind of pressure for the fight and the undercard to be entertaining. I don't want to play promoter, I want to sit back with a cold beer and watch the fights.

Also, since I'm a student I can't afford buying a PPV on my own more than a couple of times a year, even with my job and whatnot. I make enough to cover tuition and living expenses, so when choosing between investing in myself or in boxing I'm faced with a pretty clear choice.

Where do you live? Wouldn't mind having you over for a fight sometime and a few beers, it's rare I get to watch fights with another big fight fan.

Comment

But no PPV fight was even announced...Just that DAZN will start to utilize PPVs.
                Will pricing decrease for us as a result?

No.

People will be asked to pay a DAZN subscription for the sh|tty fights and then get asked to pay extra for the decent ones on PPV.

And this is a real slap in the face to all those who tried to support the subscription model.

Comment

No.

People will be asked to pay a DAZN subscription for the sh|tty fights and then get asked to pay extra for the decent ones on PPV.

And this is a real slap in the face to all those who tried to support the subscription model.
                  I like DAZN. Not all the fights are great but there are lots of pretty good fights for the price. Whyte / Wallin, for instance, is a pretty good fight but it's not PPV worthy.

I don't know if I'll keep my subscription if in the future they plan on making me pay extra for fights like this.

Comment

No.

Many have given up their subscription already. If you are not satisfied then you should and can cancel your subscription. ​​​​

Comment

Crawford vs. Porter would have been a good main event for an HBO or Showtime card back in the day.

That being said, it's 2021 and putting Crawford-Porter on PPV is reasonable all things considered. But it's clear how much the business has changed when fights like Ruiz vs. Arreola are headlining PPVs as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X