Why Are People So Opposed to PPVs?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Butt stuff
    replied
    I don’t really like PPV because it seems to be more unworthy fights moving to PPV these days. And also with how bent boxing is, often there’s some form of corruption like dodgy reffing/judging which ruins a card and leaves you at best with a bad taste in your mouth and at worst feeling robbed.

Leave a comment:

• champion4ever
    replied
    The main reason why boxing fans are opposed to PPV because it costs too much and secondly, many of the fights aren't even PPV worthy.

Leave a comment:

• KTFOKING
    replied
    Originally posted by djtmal View Post

This is how fanboys think and talk.

Guerrero, Maidana, Ortiz, were paper champs who went on to do absolutely nothing.
    And? Were they not champions? Make up your guys minds. At one minute you guys want fighters to fight for titles and unify, and the next minute you don't want that to happen. What is it?

And Maidana retired right after Floyd, so what exactly was he supposed to do?

In between those fights he fought Cotto, Canelo and Pacquiao. All fights for multiple titles. Were those guys "paper" champions as well?

Leave a comment:

• HOF Hater
    replied
    The DAZN model is simply far superior. It never took off because majority of boxing fans are actual idiots

Leave a comment:

• djtmal
    replied
    Originally posted by KTFOKING View Post

They were champions period. Save me this "paper champion" crap.

Well, their PPVs sure sold more than a few PPVs, eh? But I thought it was not about PPV buys? Why does spectacular event matter now?
    ​​​​​​
    This is how fanboys think and talk.

Guerrero, Maidana, Ortiz, were paper champs who went on to do absolutely nothing.

Leave a comment:

• iamboxing
    replied
    PPVs only make sense when it's part of a TV network subscription. For example, a basic Sky subscription gives you all the entertainment and news channels, so it makes sense to pay extra for a sporting PPV or box office film.

But DAZN is not a TV network. It's a streaming service and you're paying monthly just for DAZN sport content, which is limited and just repeats. It's like signing up for Netflix but you have to pay extra for any movies they show that are made in 2021.

Leave a comment:

• Pigeons
    replied
    Originally posted by Santa_ View Post
    That extra 80 bucks on their cable bill. Especially if the fight turned out to be a dud.

I think more people would buy if it was charged the night of..
    That's a good point. Back before I cut the cord, it would essentially double my cable+internet bill which hit different for some reason.

Leave a comment:

• genrick
    replied
    Question should be asked to those who feel the need to scream lowball
    for their favourite fighters and chant "they're risking their lives doe"
    when they themselves can't fork up $60 - $80 from their pockets to pay for the PPV.
    They're risking their lives? Yet you spend zero money for them and watch everything for free?
    What a joke.

Leave a comment:

• elfag
    replied
    Originally posted by billeau2 View Post

How about when Sports Bars were allowed to show them? I mean let them pay something reasonable to the network and show the fights. Some of my best memories are going to Mexican Bars, seeing fights like Quartey and De La Hoya, and to sports bars to see Mike Tyson against Buster Douglas.

That was mostly before my time but I would be down for that too

Leave a comment:

• billeau2
    replied
    Originally posted by KTFOKING View Post

And if RJJ could sell on PPV, guess what? He would be on PPV! Guys like Mayweather and Pacquiao fought on HBO until they reached a certain level of stardom and than their fights started taking place on PPV. BHop could never sell so he hardly fought on PPV but did so against fighters like Taylor, DLH etc.

Again, I fully get killing fights like Ruiz vs Arreola as they have no business being on PPV. But the market will correct itself with those fighters when the events don't do good numbers. The Charlo brothers PPV on paper was REALLY good, but they can't sell like that and were right back on SHO in their next fights.

One thing is that the PPV split between the cable/satellite distributors has changed and the streaming buys rate is much better for promoters that they can put more fights on PPV now and break even. Half of Ruiz/Arreola buys were digital purchases and the promoters get around 80% of the revenues on them opposed to getting 55-60% on cable/satellite buys. Heck, back in the day it used to be an even 50/50 split and the promoters would then have to give 10% of that to the networks. Game has certainly changed,

The words of promoters/networks about not using PPVs should mean nothing. It is just a marketing ploy to attract viewers/subscribers.
    Yes the market efficiency theory holds water here... Fighters that draw...sell. But market efficiency also generally determines that the best fighters, most well known, will get to sell the most (the Paul brothers and other such shenanigans are an exception). The problem becomes: Those are the fighters that have the potential to draw in the most fans from the next marketable segment of potential fans... With traditional network dynamics fighters may have not take much per an event, but it guaranteed them an audience, hence more events. It also had the effect of drawing in more fans.

What we have now is obcene. It benefits AJ to lose to Usyk so he can have a second fight.... It is to his benefit to do so. That is ridiculous. The incentive for fighters has traditionally been to be exciting, and to WIN. Theoretically "boring" fighters of great skill could benefit because with more fans coming in would come more fans who could appreciate more nuanced skills...

Boxing has become entertainment and little else. The whole ethic to fight to win, has been replaced with maintaining an unbeaten record and getting cash out fights later down the line.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X