Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Greb duck Panama Gans?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

he fought 45 times that year. maybe he was not up to a tough task that day for whatever reason. at the time it was less cowardly to draw the color line in that situation. i wanted to mention this because nobody else did. we'll never know for sure what they thought 100 years ago. i personally give him a pass for 1919.

Comment

Originally posted by travestyny View Post
      If you classify this as a color line decision (racist), surely you must classify the situation with Dempsey the same. It's nearly the same scenario, and they both used racially charged language to explain their decision. Though of course, Dempsey didn't go as far as to use the N-word.
      - -Neither did Greb.

But Smith is an idiot which is no shame in boxing, many of whom are in the HOF.

Greb has a fair share of black fighters on his record including Ki Norfolk and Tiger Flowers.

Comment

Originally posted by HOUDINI563 View Post
        Greb was the ultimate bad ass. They don’t make fighters like that any more.
        I believe that's why when fans rank fighters by resume, Greb is usually ranked second or third pound for pound overall. I've usually seen lists go Robinson, Greb, Armstrong or Robinson, Armstrong, then Greb probably because there's footage of Armstrong and the holding of 3 titles at once probably? I imagine guys like Louis and Ali would have to round out a top 5 in either order too right?

Comment

When making a p4p listing the amount of fighters that can be included is overwhelming. Greb, Armstrong, Pep, SRR, Duran are shoo ins. Louis and Ali usually round out a top ten.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
            - -Neither did Greb.

But Smith is an idiot which is no shame in boxing, many of whom are in the HOF.

Greb has a fair share of black fighters on his record including Ki Norfolk and Tiger Flowers.
            Isn't that his point?

Comment

Originally posted by drablj View Post
              he fought 45 times that year. maybe he was not up to a tough task that day for whatever reason. at the time it was less cowardly to draw the color line in that situation. i wanted to mention this because nobody else did. we'll never know for sure what they thought 100 years ago. i personally give him a pass for 1919.
              That's a damn good point.

Comment

Working...
              X