No announcement yet.

Joe Louis Runs the Gauntlet

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rusty Tromboni View Post
    He told us you were saucy and good with your mouth... I didn't know he meant in this way.

I dunno what needs explaining. Unless your a casual. the list starts with smaller, less talented fighters and moves towards bigger more talented fighters. Roy Jones, for example, was a former Mw (160 pounds) who competed eventually at Hw (he weighed in at 190 pounds). Roy was a Pollack, of sorts. He didn't win using technically mastery, but by defying the fundamentals of Boxing using his athleticism and reaction time.

On the other end of the list is tyson Fury. Fury is the largest Hw champion we've seen, and the best pure-boxer.

If you want to get to know Boxing go to YouTube and watch. I don't mind discussing fighters, but there's a lot of fighters here to talk about. And the individual breakdown would be better suited to separate threads.
    Except it doesn't do that. Usyk is 6'3" and 200 pounds - bigger than both Tunney and Dempsey. Foreman was bigger in both weight and height than Holmes and is ranked higher on many ATG lists. Fury may be taller but he's not anywhere close to the best pure boxer. He has one of the worst resumes on this entire list and wouldn't show up on most any legitimate top 20 HW ATG list. Someone might as well put Nikolai Valuev on this list as the last one in this "gauntlet" for all the sense that makes.

BTW, I don't have to watch YouTube videos. I've seen most of these guys fight either live, PPV or closed circuit TV with the exception of 3 - Tunney, Dempsey and Louis himself. Thanks for showing us all who the casual is.

--------------

As far as this "gauntlet" goes, Louis would only have problems with 2 or maybe 3 guys.

Of them all, Foreman would be the toughest challenge and big George has a decent chance to win that fight with that pole-axe jab and huge power.

Larry Holmes had a great chin and a great jab - two things that allows any HW boxer to compete.

The only other guy who stands a chance is Vitali. I think he's probably too slow for Louis but he was a tough customer.

Everyone else, including Fury, is just cannon fodder. Louis wipes the floor with all of 'em.

Comment

Wow, Queenie is gonna be jealous when he sees what I do to his little trick.

Originally posted by Granath View Post
      Except it doesn't do that. Usyk is 6'3" and 200 pounds - bigger than both Tunney and Dempsey. Foreman was bigger in both weight and height than Holmes and is ranked higher on many ATG lists.
      Usyk is physically larger than Dempsey and Tunney, but he owns less experience. He also lacks the firepower of the former, and the stylistic foil of the latter. You have to be completely clueless not to see that. Really, the fact that you're objecting to Tunney and Dempsey being stiffer challenges to Louis shows this forum isn't the place for you.

Please, tell me what Usyk brings to a fight w/ Louis that's more troublesome than Tunney's jab and evasive footwork, or fearsome than Dempsey's epic offense.

Except it doesn't do that... Foreman was bigger in both weight and height than Holmes and is ranked higher on many ATG lists.
      Maybe your daddy didn't tell you, but styles make fights. Go ask Queenie, he'll confirm. Even he won't deny that.

Holmes (who unanimously out-ranks Foreman on any meaningful list) is a defense-first fighter. He wasn't afraid to mix it up, but he was a boxer-puncher w/ heavy emphasis on the boxer. Conn troubled Louis much more than the titans he faced, likewise Holmes should have better chances of consistently beating Louis, even if Foreman has a much better chance of putting Louis' lights out.

Fury may be taller but he's not anywhere close to the best pure boxer. He has one of the worst resumes on this entire list and wouldn't show up on most any legitimate top 20 HW ATG list. Someone might as well put Nikolai Valuev on this list as the last one in this "gauntlet" for all the sense that makes.
      LMAO. This is why they invented birth control. I don't care what naughty little talents you have. Queenie can brag all he wants. It's because of people like you in this world we can't have nice things.

As far as this "gauntlet" goes, Louis would only have problems with 2 or maybe 3 guys.

Of them all, Foreman would be the toughest challenge and big George has a decent chance to win that fight with that pole-axe jab and huge power.

Larry Holmes had a great chin and a great jab - two things that allows any HW boxer to compete.

The only other guy who stands a chance is Vitali. I think he's probably too slow for Louis but he was a tough customer.

Everyone else, including Fury, is just cannon fodder. Louis wipes the floor with all of 'em.
      It's fine if you think Louis melts most of his opponents. But to act like he just courses through the list you don't really appreciate his quality of opposition. Foreman's punches were loopy and he was far less economical than Vitali. He had more one-punch power, but Ron Lyle showed us what could happen if someone stood up to him. Vitali, conversely, wasn't just a more complete fighter, he never once hit the mat.

Fury is an exceptional fighter. Watch his fight w/ Vitali's brother Wlad, and his fight w/ Wilder (greatest comeback in Boxing history). He remains on the outside and Louis (who's title reign wasn't called "The Bum of the Month Club" for nothing) can't figure out how to trap him and break him down.

Comment

He won't get pass Usyk

Comment

Does Louis have to fight them all in the same day?

Comment

Beats the top 5. Imho. On the fence with George.

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis Harper View Post
              Beats the top 5. Imho. On the fence with George.
              I can side with that.

Comment

He could conceivably beat any of them in a 1 off prime for prime battle. But having to beat them all back to back, I don't think even Jesus could do it.

Comment

I never get why people consider Holmes to be a big guy, he really wasn't apart from the reach, to an extent. Size-wise he was basically a lighter Max Baer.

Since the gauntlet order is completely subjective-

RJJ- KO1 Louis. Louis has the handspeed to catch RJJ.
                  Byrd- TKO3 Louis. Byrd's willpower keeps him up longer than he should have stayed up.
                  Usyk- MD Louis. Louis is just a little busier.
                  Tunney- KO15 Louis after being down on the cards. Tunney's technical skill allows him to outbox Joe but he gets him in the end.
                  Dempsey- KO15 Dempsey. Dempsey's 1 inch reach advantage means he hits Louis before he gets hit when they both punch at the same time in the last round. They were equal on the cards until then. It'll look like 5:50 onwards in this fight- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J65SvtoHTM
                  Foreman- Draw, both end up in hospital.
                  Holmes- Louis SD. The brown bomber wins by scoring a lot of knockdowns.
                  Klitschko- Louis razor sharp UD, Vitali is hurt but not stopped due to his iron chin.
                  Fury- TKO10 Louis, Fury still wants to keep on fighting but the referee and his corner will have none of it.
                  Last edited by Dempsey19; 04-09-2019, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                    Does Louis have to fight them all in the same day?
                    - -Yes, and Joe has to be in chains with the ref attached to his back.

Fair is fair!

Comment

Neither of the comical Klits belongs on any kind of ATG list. Put simply for the simpletons I see engaging here, the Klit boys were not good enough. Vlad could win a poll, though, for the least fighting instinct of any champ.

Comment

Working...
                      X