No announcement yet.

Joe Louis Runs the Gauntlet

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe Louis Runs the Gauntlet

How far does Joe go against this list of fighters? Does he clear it?

Notice there's no Ali.
    Roid Jones
    13.51%
    Chris Byrd
    10.81%
    Oleksander Usyk
    10.81%
    Gene Tunney
    13.51%
    Jack Dempsey
    10.81%
    George Foreman
    10.81%
    Larry Holmes
    6.76%
    Vitali Klitchko
    9.46%
    Tyson Fury
    6.76%
    He clears it.
    6.76%

Tunney and Foreman probably have the best chance

Comment

Prime Roy beats him

Comment

P4P he tops anyone on the list. Modern heavies could give him trouble due to their size; if they are willing to stick to the jab and out tall him they could take a decision- there are weight classes for a reason and his best years were spent at Cruiser/Super Cruiser (if there were such a thing). He still has the pop, and enough size, to have a punchers chance against anyone though.

Comment

- -Dumb poll arranged in random, chaotic order.

Comment

To even answer would itself be an insult to ATG's.

Comment

Originally posted by THEFRESHBRAWLER View Post
              Tunney and Foreman probably have the best chance
              For me those are the most interesting match-ups. Tunney was far less experienced a Hw than Louis, but he looks custom-built to beat Louis. Not that you can clearly favor either man, but you can make a strong case for both.

Foreman, conversely won't try to out-slick Louis, instead he's gonna try to run him over. Foreman has waaaay more firepower than Schmeling or Galento, but Ron Lyle wasn't half the man that Joe Louis was. Another pick-em

Of all the opponents listed, I think against both these men Joe Louis would need a trilogy to sort things out.

I think Louis can have success against Holmes and Vitali, but they're too big for him to a be a favorite. Holmes is a bigger, more proven Tunney; and Vitali as dangerous as Foreman, but more measured and durable.

Comment

Like I always said, Louis is not good in head to head matchups of other era's. That's not where his ranking is based on, atleast not for me.

He doesn't do too well against the guys in that list even though he's a bigger ATG than the majority of them. He sparks that chinless bum Roid Jones any day though. Any excuses tonight Roy?

Comment

Originally posted by DeeMoney View Post
                  P4P he tops anyone on the list. Modern heavies could give him trouble due to their size; if they are willing to stick to the jab and out tall him they could take a decision- there are weight classes for a reason and his best years were spent at Cruiser/Super Cruiser (if there were such a thing). He still has the pop, and enough size, to have a punchers chance against anyone though.
                  lol, no.

louis had his hands full w/ conn and Walcott - smaller men than himself. The former was a relatively inexperienced Middleweight, that latter was in his 40's. Louis had his limits.

I am actually more impressed by Fury. For a dude that big to move that well and be that skilfull is really impressive. I'm not saying he's Willie Pep, but if he were Louis' size he'd surely be even better at what he's already great at. He embarrasses Louis DESPITE his size.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
                    - -Dumb poll arranged in random, chaotic order.
                    Or your nurse just didn't read the list in order. Any non-casual would notice the direction the gauntlet takes.

Comment

Working...
                    X