No announcement yet.

Beating ELITE fighters "at the top of their game"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
    He cut massive amounts of weight for all of his fights back then. When he was still undefeated they did a short documentary on it. About his eating habits between and during training camps.

Was Toney drained? Yes.

The question I'm asking is when wasnt he?

Yeah he looked better against other guys. Because other guys aren't Roy Jones that's why.
    Other guys are Michael Nunn (among others) though. Toney was always a natural. Sure he did stupid things to get an advantage and yo yoed but that does not rub out his achievements.

Toney didn't like to train granted but he liked to fight and he always threw a lot of punches in his fights, unlike many fighters with much better training habits. for example, he threw as many compubox blows as Rahman. Fat as he was he managed to outhustle a man who was obviously in top shape.
    Last edited by billeau2; 09-10-2015, 07:48 PM.

Comment

He cut massive amounts of weight for all of his fights back then. When he was still undefeated they did a short documentary on it. About his eating habits between and during training camps.

Was Toney drained? Yes.

The question I'm asking is when wasnt he?

Yeah he looked better against other guys. Because other guys aren't Roy Jones that's why.
      When he fought at heavyweight, that's when haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
        I didn't hear about any problems for the Williams and Barkley fights (of course that doesn't mean there weren't) and Toney looked terrific in both.

It seems safe to say that Toney stayed at 168 (at least) one fight too long.
        Excuses only tend to come out after losses/poor performances. Williams & especially Barkely were tailor-made for Toney to showcase his strengths against.

Comment

Originally posted by Anita Gofradump View Post
          Excuses only tend to come out after losses/poor performances. Williams & especially Barkely were tailor-made for Toney to showcase his strengths against.
          Toney was trying to postpone the fight before it happened, so that obviously can't be considered a post fight excuse.

Comment

Toney was trying to postpone the fight before it happened, so that obviously can't be considered a post fight excuse.
            You're going to have to refresh my memory on that one.

Comment

You're going to have to refresh my memory on that one.
              I knew this at the time. Toney has said so frequently. And in this interview you can read Bob Arum's recount of the Jones fight:

http://******.craveonline.com/news/1...e-been-greater

Comment

I knew this at the time. Toney has said so frequently. And in this interview you can read Bob Arum's recount of the Jones fight:

Toney has said so frequently....after the fight.

I recall his excuses after the fight.

Don't recall an attempt at postponment before hand.

Do you have anything to support this? Like I said, you will have to refresh my memory on that one.

Comment

The link doesn't work for me cause they censor the first part... Pm me the link please

And for the record, anyone that thinks toney was in peak form for jones is crazy... Clear as day toney slacked and had to kill himself to make weight.. This is not the same toney that fought mccallum

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                    The link doesn't work for me cause they censor the first part... Pm me the link please

And for the record, anyone that thinks toney was in peak form for jones is crazy... Clear as day toney slacked and had to kill himself to make weight.. This is not the same toney that fought mccallum
                    Here is the text specific to this that I copied. If you want a link to the entire article I'll be happy to send it to you.

Toney’s inability to control his weight even during intense training camps led to a famous non-effort against a prime Roy Jones Jr. in the highest-profile fight of his career. Just two weeks before the 1994 super middleweight showdown, Toney was reportedly over the cruiserweight limit.
                    “When he fought Jones he was on an IV the week of the fight,” recalled Arum, who promoted the fight that Jones won by a lop-sided decision. “It was the biggest fight of his career and he wasn’t even eating solid food going into it.

Comment

Toney has said so frequently....after the fight.

I recall his excuses after the fight.

Don't recall an attempt at postponment before hand.

Do you have anything to support this? Like I said, you will have to refresh my memory on that one.
                      I read an interview with Toney in Ring Magazine recently and he said that. I don't have a link handy. You could ask Jackie Kallen, the manager who he fired after for making him go through with it.

Ultimately you can believe what you choose to.

Comment

Working...
                      X