No announcement yet.

Beating ELITE fighters "at the top of their game"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
    I read an interview with Toney in Ring Magazine recently and he said that. I don't have a link handy. You could ask Jackie Kallen, the manager who he fired after for making him go through with it.

Ultimately you can believe what you choose to.
    This is all after the fight.

I recall the endless list of excuses after the fight in typical James Toney fashion.

If someone could provide something before the fight.

Because I don't recall this being said before the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
      The link doesn't work for me cause they censor the first part... Pm me the link please

And for the record, anyone that thinks toney was in peak form for jones is crazy... Clear as day toney slacked and had to kill himself to make weight.. This is not the same toney that fought mccallum
      What is "peak form" Toney? There is no such thing.

"Peak form" Toney is usually James Toney that's fighting a tailor made opponent or an opponent that's not good. That's the only time he ever shined.

And we have been over this a thousand times. James Toney killed himself to make weight every single time he fought back then. Why is Roy Jones any different?

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
        What is "peak form" Toney? There is no such thing.

"Peak form" Toney is usually James Toney that's fighting a tailor made opponent or an opponent that's not good. That's the only time he ever shined.

And we have been over this a thousand times. James Toney killed himself to make weight every single time he fought back then. Why is Roy Jones any different?
        Mccallum fight..... Wasnt tailor made

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
          This is all after the fight.

I recall the endless list of excuses after the fight in typical James Toney fashion.

If someone could provide something before the fight.

Because I don't recall this being said before the fight.
          This was 20 years ago. You're not going to find the type of proof you seem to be insisting on. It was a PPV event and nobody involved is going to say something on record to hamper sales before the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
            This was 20 years ago. You're not going to find the type of proof you seem to be insisting on. It was a PPV event and nobody involved is going to say something on record to hamper sales before the fight.
            You can find sources from the early 1900's let alone 20 years ago.

And you said that it wasn't an excuse after the fight because he said it before the fight. But now you're saying they wouldn't say anything because it would have hindered the sales. So did he make the excuse before the fight or after?

Because saying "I wanted to postpone the fight but they wouldn't let me" after the fight is a post fight excuse.

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
              Lewis vs Tyson
              Tyson vs douglas

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                Mccallum fight..... Wasnt tailor made
                And did he really shine in those fights?

Looked alright in the first one, probably should have edged it.

Second one he didn't look good I thought he lost that one.

And McCallum isn't Roy Jones.

Toney looked "peak form" when he fought the likes of Iran Barkley and Prince Williams.

Then again he couldn't even find "peak form" against Tiberi, Sosa, Johnson or Thazdi but let me guess, he was "drained" for those fights?
                Last edited by IronDanHamza; 09-22-2015, 07:44 AM.

Comment

Even if he was, it's on Toney for not staying in shape and maintaining the weight between fights. Maybe he was weight drained, but overall Jones was just better. I just wish Jones had fought other top opponents after that, like Darius. I believe there were talks of him fighting Benn and McClellan back then too no?

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                    Even if he was, it's on Toney for not staying in shape and maintaining the weight between fights. Maybe he was weight drained, but overall Jones was just better. I just wish Jones had fought other top opponents after that, like Darius. I believe there were talks of him fighting Benn and McClellan back then too no?
                    Not really. Of course McClellan's career ended too early to place any blame on Roy. Benn's fights were on Showtime so that could have made that fight difficult to happen.

Comment

What about Darius? Weren't there talks of a unification fight at light heavy? Why did Roy seem to coast mostly after fighting Toney?

Comment

Working...
                      X