Oscar De La Hoya is pretty damn underrated now

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Barn View Post
    I totally disagree.

I'm pretty sure I had him losing both the Quartey and Whitaker fights as well. It has been so long since I scored them though.
    I had him losing to Quartey, Whitaker (both close) and Sturm (clear)

But I also had him beating Trinidad (close) and Mosley 2 (quite clear)

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
      This has to be a joke?

Mayweather's opposition is constantly discredited whereas Oscar's is always praised.
      When did you become such a mayweather nuthugger? I mean do you hear yourself? "Always?" like every last individual who thinks Oscar had some talent necessarily devalues your precious floyd?

Both floyd and De La Hoya put some thought into when to challenge fighters....so did Sugar Ray leonard (to a lesser extent imo). many other fighters did...but it becomes absurd when this becomes a means to cast aspersions on every victory achieved by any fighter....this is the stuff that Sonny does when he becomes obnoxious...It becomes a point where Lewis never beat a fighter without some qualifier. Its ridiculous!!!
      Last edited by billeau2; 08-25-2015, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
        When did you become such a mayweather nuthugger? I mean do you hear yourself? "Always?" like every last individual who thinks Oscar had some talent necessarily devalues your precious floyd?

Both floyd and De La Hoya put some thought into when to challenge fighters....so did Sugar Ray leonard (to a lesser extent imo). many other fighters did...but it becomes absurd when this becomes a means to cast aspersions on every victory achieved by any fighter....this is the stuff that Sonny does when he becomes obnoxious...It becomes a point where Lewis never beat a fighter without some qualifier. Its ridiculous!!!
        I think it's pretty clear that the vast majority of people these days generally tend to praise Oscar's opposition and do the opposite with Mayweather's.

Comment

Originally posted by GOD-FR33 View Post
          Finally, a thread with integrity that makes sense. Any fighter who goes above and beyond to challenge themselves, fight in and fight out, I appreciate. Oscar was that type of fighter. If he was fighting in the 80's, he would've fought SRL, Hagler, Hearns, and Duran. FACTS. He would've lost all of them, but he would've at least gave the people what they wanted. All of the immature posts about him on here over the years don't mean ANYTHING. None of you idiots can take away who he was as a fighter. He beat Tito and he beat Mosley in the rematch. Prime for prime, he beats Mayweather, 10 out of 10 times. #saluteODLH
          I love it when people say "FACTS" after saying something completely made up and fictional. If you assume something based on stuff that never happened and call that a fact, you need to relearn what it means. A fact is something like Oscar fighting Tito. Him taking fights with the big four is an assumption.

Such a weird post though. Ranting and calling people idiots out of nowhere. What got your knickers in a twist?

Are you one of these Pac fans that automatically like/hate fighters based on your Pac fandom? i.e. hate Floyd, obviously, being a Pac nemesis. Or, love Oscar because Pac was a fan, and Pac beat him?

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
            much like how floyd fought an inactive ancient shane that was 2-5 in his last 7 big fights prior to floyd..
            Huh? Mosley was 6-1 in his last 7 fights before Floyd, including what is one of the best wins of his career going into the Floyd fight.

He'd come off wins over Estrada, Jose Luis Cruz, Vargas x2, Collazo, Mayorga and Margarito. The lone loss being to Cotto of course before Mayorga and Marg.

Comment

Quartey lost........

Originally posted by Barn View Post
              I totally disagree.

I'm pretty sure I had him losing both the Quartey and Whitaker fights as well. It has been so long since I scored them though.

He beat Quartey. Nobody argues that. The fight came down to the 12th round. Oscar had Quartey out on his feet in that round. The ropes held him up. He fought his heart out in the 12th. Quartey didn't. As for the Whitaker fight, the 8th round knock down was the difference. Whitaker should've gotten the decision. Best defensive fighter of all-time and a top 10 ATG. No shame their. Even Oscar said that Whitaker was almost impossible to hit for 12 rounds. He said that Floyd wasn't impossible to hit for 12 rounds. They asked who was the better defensive fighter, he said Whitaker.

Comment

Noway that Quartey decision was contentious, close yeah but nothing like Whitaker, Tito or Mosley. In fact, even in the Whitaker fighter, I can make an argument for an Oscar win or at most a draw for Whitaker but not a win. Yes he frustrated Oscar and made him miss but he never put enough effort for the offensive, you can't win like that.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                  I had him losing to Quartey, Whitaker (both close) and Sturm (clear)

But I also had him beating Trinidad (close) and Mosley 2 (quite clear)
                  I also had him beating Trinidad. The other fights (Sturm, Mosley) I haven't actually watched. I'm not sure why I never got round to watching the Mosley fights considering they're meant to be pretty good. I'll watch the second one today, I didn't realise it was controversial.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
                    Huh? Mosley was 6-1 in his last 7 fights before Floyd, including what is one of the best wins of his career going into the Floyd fight.

He'd come off wins over Estrada, Jose Luis Cruz, Vargas x2, Collazo, Mayorga and Margarito. The lone loss being to Cotto of course before Mayorga and Marg.
                    I said big fights... Shot vargas don't count...

Oscar2,forrest twice, winky twice, cotto, margarito.. Big fights where shane turned up the level of competition, he was pretty much beaten everytime over the last 10 years prior to the floyd fight..
                    That why I thought it was laughable that people were putting him top 5 p4p based solely on the margarito fight and totally ignoring the fact that outside of the gift in Oscar 2, shane had lost all his big fights for nearly a decade..

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
                      I love it when people say "FACTS" after saying something completely made up and fictional. If you assume something based on stuff that never happened and call that a fact, you need to relearn what it means. A fact is something like Oscar fighting Tito. Him taking fights with the big four is an assumption.

Such a weird post though. Ranting and calling people idiots out of nowhere. What got your knickers in a twist?

Are you one of these Pac fans that automatically like/hate fighters based on your Pac fandom? i.e. hate Floyd, obviously, being a Pac nemesis. Or, love Oscar because Pac was a fan, and Pac beat him?
                      That ones reason.

Another reaosn is I think he's legitimately mentally disabled.
                      Last edited by IronDanHamza; 01-19-2018, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X