No announcement yet.

Oscar De La Hoya is pretty damn underrated now

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oscar De La Hoya is pretty damn underrated now

Ending the Tito fight in the fashion he did, really damaged Oscar's legacy.

H2H, this guy gives anyone in history a hard fight from 135-154.

The only weakness in his style was not much of a right hand compared to his left.

Everything else was on point. His jab was excellent, as was his movement. His left hook had one punch KO power, he was defensively responsible with an iron chin.

He also gave Floyd a relatively tough fight. A prime Floyd. While he was past prime.

Comment

Originally posted by Last Round Baby View Post
      He also gave Floyd a relatively tough fight. A prime Floyd. While he was past prime.
      He did but he had fair bit size advantage over mayweather and was rocked in that fight briefly lost a lot of his big fights Mosley Tito floyd and well quit against PAC got a gift over strum also Hopkins left him on floor rolling like a man child in a nappy when he was the smaller man for a change

Comment

Originally posted by musiol View Post
        He did but he had fair bit size advantage over mayweather and was rocked in that fight briefly lost a lot of his big fights Mosley Tito floyd and well quit against PAC got a gift over strum also Hopkins left him on floor rolling like a man child in a nappy when he was the smaller man for a change
        Yeah, I hear guys saying cotto is rated higher than Oscar. That's insane. He was a great fighter.

Comment

I still think he's pretty overrated for the most part.

Good fighter obviously but lost to quite a few of his best opponents.

He also cherry picked more than people like to remember.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
            I still think he's pretty overrated for the most part.

Good fighter obviously but lost to quite a few of his best opponents.

He also cherry picked more than people like to remember
            Coming from a Floyd fan...LOL

Name a fighter in the last 25 years with a better list of names fought than Oscar.

Holyfield and maybe Toney are the only ones that can compare.

Comment

Name a fighter in the last 25 years with a better list of names fought than Oscar.

What does it matter who I'm a fan of?

Doesn't change the fact that he cherry picked his opponents more than people like to remember.

Not all of them obviously.

1990-present I'm not sure. It's hard to really judge because fighters tend to fight too long and fight people they have no business in the ring with.

Juan Laporte's list of fighters fought is probably better than Oscar's (arguable) again it's something I don't put much thought in.

Comment

There's a myth that Oscar lost all his big fights, which isn't true at all.

He beat Whitaker, Chavez 2x, Carr, Vargas and Quartey. Not to mention winning the MW title without any catchweights what so ever in a close fight. Remember, this is a guy who started his career at a 130 odd pounds and won a super featherweight title. Not to mention he was rarely in a dull fight and got a lot of KOs.

The Tito loss is abysmal and the second Mosley fight should be struck off for so many reasons. In fact by the time he was facing guys like Vargas, Hopkins, Sturm etc, he was no longer at his best and greatly undersized at times.

Oscar is a legitimate ATG.

Comment

oscar is a guy who I always take a second look at... He seemed to fade late in fights, but he did fight great comp and as Soul Surviver says it is a myth that he lost to great competition. If we take the Vargus fight we have a guy who much like Judah, came along ****ing em down and doing what he should have.... until (in Vargas case) he ran into Trinidad.

Its easy to assume Tito ruined Vargas but thats debatable, then if we take the Quartey fight and understand that the Trinidad fight could have gone either way.... Oscar comes up looking pretty damn good!

It is the height of hypocracy for any floyd fan to call De la Hoya a cherry picker lol! I would say both guys are modern fighter who had very good sense about whom to take on...and when, and leave it at that.

De La Hoya is hard to define as a fighter. When we think of Mayweather we get visions of ring craft, incredible speed and guile...Trinidad we see a puncher through and through, Mosley the speed demon, Forest the boxer.
                  Greatness usually implies a set of traits...its kind of hard with De la Hoya. He was skilled and may have been a great fighter, and he was a boxer puncher, but what was De La Hoya? A devistating puncher? a skillful boxer with guile? a defensive wizard? its hard to say.

I am on the fence with De la Hoya.

Comment

I think he is underrated..

Everyone seems to forget all his 90s fights, and only focus in on post tito fights when Oscar was in the downhill...

Oscar could have beaten everyone that floyd has...

I always wonder what oscar's legacy would be if he got the nod in the trinidad..

Comment

Working...
                    X