No announcement yet.

Oscar De La Hoya is pretty damn underrated now

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
    Who is forgetting?? No one is debating the point about cherrypicking, every fighter ever in history has done that..

Dudes will praise floyd, but then turn around and bash Oscar, with criticisms that more accurately applied to floyd..
    I'm not trying to turn this into another floyd thread, but you and irondan always defend floyd, yet are bashing Oscar..

Some people seem to forget that it took floyd years to fight certain guys, and they were well past it when they did fight.. Cotto had been already wrecked by margarito and manny, yet God forbid Oscar fought vargas after tito..
    Or Oscar only fought Ike after a long layoff, much like how floyd fought an inactive ancient shane that was 2-5 in his last 7 big fights prior to floyd..

You guys can't have it both ways.

But like I said, I don't want to turn this into another floyd thread, so that's all I will say about it
    The big difference is Mosley looked great in his previous fight while Quartey did not. That seemed to be a pattern in how Oscar chose opponents (Camacho, Chavez, Vargas)

You're the one who brought up Mayweather so if it turns into a Floyd debate so be it.

Mayweather gets plenty of criticism and more than Oscar although Floyd is better than Oscar and always has been. Better resume too and unlike Oscar, Mayweather didn't scheme to postpone the Mosley fight.

Their careers are not on the same level so why would I talk about them in the same way? You can speculate that "Oscar would have beaten all of Floyd's opponents" but the bottom line is he didn't. No way he beats Pacquiao without a strong right hand in my opinion. That's something that Oscar never had.
    Last edited by joseph5620; 08-24-2015, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Oscar is cut from the same cloth as Roberto Duran. Anyone any weight any time.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthPawHitman View Post
        Oscar is cut from the same cloth as Roberto Duran. Anyone any weight any time.
        Oscar was no chicken.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
          People would still remember him running away the last four rounds, and maybe with more resentment as well.
          Is it any worse than duran "no mas" and people don't hold that against duran..

Comment

Is it any worse than duran "no mas" and people don't hold that against duran..
            Not worse than that, no. And it is a flaw on Duran's resume, no matter what his diehard fans claim.

Comment

Who is forgetting?? No one is debating the point about cherrypicking, every fighter ever in history has done that..

Dudes will praise floyd, but then turn around and bash Oscar, with criticisms that more accurately applied to floyd..
              I'm not trying to turn this into another floyd thread, but you and irondan always defend floyd, yet are bashing Oscar..

Some people seem to forget that it took floyd years to fight certain guys, and they were well past it when they did fight.. Cotto had been already wrecked by margarito and manny, yet God forbid Oscar fought vargas after tito..
              Or Oscar only fought Ike after a long layoff, much like how floyd fought an inactive ancient shane that was 2-5 in his last 7 big fights prior to floyd..

You guys can't have it both ways.

But like I said, I don't want to turn this into another floyd thread, so that's all I will say about it
              This has to be a joke?

Mayweather's opposition is constantly discredited whereas Oscar's is always praised.

Comment

I would bank on prime ODLH at 147 UDing Floyd.

Too long, too mobile, too big. ATG jab and speed to nearly rival Floyds.

We know floyd can shift into higher gears but he isn't beating a prime Oscar.

Or many great welters for that matter,

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                  This has to be a joke?

Mayweather's opposition is constantly discredited whereas Oscar's is always praised.
                  I think one gets a pass for some less than stellar opponents after fighting prime versions of Pacquiao, Mayweather, Mosley, and Trinidad. BHops was also an excellent opponent.

Also, I imagine that most of the people that think ODLH is underrated would still rate Mayweather higher.

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                  Vargas, Carr and Camacho already battered by Trinidad. (Especially Vargas)
                  I named 5 fights more significant than those with which this problem does not exist. I'll be amused if you can find 5 equally significant fights of Mayweather's that were against opponents that had not already been battered. That means your list would have to exclude Cotto, Pacquiao, ODLH.

First Mosley fight was considered an easy fight against a LW who had 2 fights at WW and didn't look great.
                  No, it wasn't considered an easy fight. ODLH was like a -250 favorite. That's about the same odds Mayweather had against Canelo and Hatton.

Obviously the Pacquaio cherry pick gone wrong.
                  Another fight that was not expected to be easy. Even with the anticipated significant size advantage, ODLH was only about a -160 favorite.
                  Last edited by BrometheusBob.; 08-25-2015, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BrometheusBob View Post
                    I think one gets a pass for some less than stellar opponents after fighting prime versions of Pacquiao, Mayweather, Mosley, and Trinidad. BHops was also an excellent opponent.

Also, I imagine that most of the people that think ODLH is underrated would still rate Mayweather higher.

I named 5 fights more significant than those with which this problem does not exist. I'll be amused if you can find 5 equally significant fights of Mayweather's that were against opponents that had not already been battered. That means your list would have to exclude Cotto, Pacquiao, ODLH.

No, it wasn't considered an easy fight. ODLH was like a -250 favorite. That's about the same odds Mayweather had against Canelo and Hatton.

Another fight that was not expected to be easy. Even with the anticipated significant size advantage, ODLH was only about a -160 favorite.
                    Well no where did I state that he doesn't have significant wins or opponents.

I also wasnt comparing De La Hoya with Mayweather at any point and didn't mention his name in this thread until he was brought up. As if Mayweather's choice of opposition cancels out Oscars.

Whether he gets a pass or not is completely irrelevant I don't care if he gets a pass or not I am merely stating that he sometimes cherry picked opponents. No more no less. And as this thread has already proven that seems to be forgotten these days.

And you're incorrect about Mosley and most defintely Pacquaio. I'm not bothered about betting odds In boxing circles both were considered easy fights and cherry picks from Oscar. Again, especially Pacquaio.

Comment

I totally disagree.

I'm pretty sure I had him losing both the Quartey and Whitaker fights as well. It has been so long since I scored them though.

Comment

Working...
                      X