Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's greater: Larry Holmes or George Foreman?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holmes, by a hair.

Comment

Very close, but I'd have to say Holmes as well.

Comment

I'd go with Foreman.

Higher quality of wins (Frazier) + what he did in boxing is and was unheard of.

Absolute legend.

Comment

Originally posted by BKM-2010 View Post
          Being the winner H2H due to styles doesn't make you greater, not in this case atleast. I got Holmes beating Foreman in any fantasy matchup but greater accomplishments/resume? Foreman, obviously. Better signature wins, greater manner of victory, better opposition(geez, the man fought in the 2 best era's of the division. Not many fighters can say that, if any), plus he got the title of oldest HW champion ever. The only thing I feel Holmes has over him is consistency, but I will take quality over quantity here.
          Agree with this completely.

People often mix things up that shouldn't be.

Comment

Roots are the start of the comparison:

Liston: Foreman

Ali: Holmes

Both guys were mentored By an ATG and became one as well. And these guys are polar opposites, the consumate boxer versus puncher match up.

I think it could go either way, hard to call one guy better

Comment

Tough question. It's a tie, pending further analysis. Although I tend to favor power (Louis over Ali, for e.g.), it's still a tough call. What's more impressive, the length of Larry's reign, or the power of George's punches (KO %)? Since there's no tie option, I will abstain unless/until I get an epiphany.

Comment

Holmes, both technically and the better thinker. Foreman was just a massive unit.

Comment

Foreman for his power, resume and watchability but Holmes is right up there, in all honesty, both of them are interchangeable. I wouldn't argue too much either way but I just feel Foreman edges him on top opponents and winning the crown at 45 is some achievement.

Comment

foreman has the better resume

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
                      Foreman for his power, resume and watchability but Holmes is right up there, in all honesty, both of them are interchangeable. I wouldn't argue too much either way but I just feel Foreman edges him on top opponents and winning the crown at 45 is some achievement.
                      I also feel that moorer fight put foreman just ahead of holmes but its a very tough call. pissed me off when I saw an interview with holmes and bert sugar and holmes was dissing foremans accomplishments. hed have been such a more likeable champion if he wasnt always so bitter all the time

Comment

Working...
                      X