Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's greater: Larry Holmes or George Foreman?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tough as hell to call between those 2. if foreman hadn't won the title at 45 id have gone with holmes but that win for foreman was huge

Comment

Holmes. Foreman was a limited slugger, not much skill.

Comment

Originally posted by Weltz View Post
        Holmes. Foreman was a limited slugger, not much skill.
        Foreman was not a limited slugger... He was very skilled with the jab, and had a great ring IQ which was one of the main reasons he was so successful in the 90s

Comment

Originally posted by GeneralZod View Post
          I'd go Foreman as greater, but Holmes as the better talent.
          Definitely this.

Comment

Holmes by a mile.

I don't see any reasonable argument for Foreman- NONE

Comment

Originally posted by just the facts View Post
              Holmes by a mile.

I don't see any reasonable argument for Foreman- NONE
              +1. And if Foreman ever wanted the fight, Holmes happily would've humiliated him at several points during their respective careers.

Comment

Being the winner H2H due to styles doesn't make you greater, not in this case atleast. I got Holmes beating Foreman in any fantasy matchup but greater accomplishments/resume? Foreman, obviously. Better signature wins, greater manner of victory, better opposition(geez, the man fought in the 2 best era's of the division. Not many fighters can say that, if any), plus he got the title of oldest HW champion ever. The only thing I feel Holmes has over him is consistency, but I will take quality over quantity here.
                Last edited by BKM-2010; 05-17-2014, 07:36 PM.

Comment

George's power ranks him in the top ten of heavies easily. The bottom line is that Larry has more over all skills and a very good puncher especially right hand behind his jab but power can get things even quickly when your in with a skilled fighter.
                  I know for a fact that Larry wanted George for years and Foreman's camp didn't want him!!!! I think they felt that Larry could "step around him" and make George "reset" all night long and be stepping into George as his feet moved! Ali did that same thing except from the outside and of course his rope a dope frustrated him!

George in the 90's did great and it was a unique situation a lot like Hopkins today. I think everyone gives George a lot of credit for stopping Moorer, Moorer had him and just got dumb for a few seconds ....12 to be exact! hahahaha!!!!

George's early career was his best he was a big guy with power with a great chin. They way you beat him is to try to take him deep in the fight and be winning rounds as you go. Not that easy especially if your power doesn't impress him.
                  I think Holmes is a top 5 or 6 heavy and George in the top twelve somewhere.
                  But power can make you number one at anytime. Ray.

Comment

They are both great but I give Holmes the slight edge in greatness and bigger edge in skill.

Comment

This is quite an even poll it is one of those matches that should of taken place around 78/79 if George had not retired.

Comment

Working...
                      X