Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's greater: Larry Holmes or George Foreman?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's greater: Larry Holmes or George Foreman?

Cliff Rold had Holmes the 4th top all-time Heavyweight and Foreman 5th:

http://www.boxingscene.com/-top-25-h...top-ten--26161

Bert Sugar had Foreman as the 8th greatest Heavyweight in history and Holmes 10th:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8HYfNYsupnU

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Gzu9jtiL31Q
    Larry Holmes
    49.06%
    George Foreman
    50.94%
    Last edited by jas; 05-15-2014, 08:42 PM.

I think I'd go with Holmes. They are very close to eachother though.

Comment

I'd go Foreman as greater, but Holmes as the better talent.

Comment

Resume,, foreman clearly has better resume with better wins ie Frazier, Norton, moorer

But h2h I think Holmes is a nightmare for big George.. I think in the 70s, it would be a war with Holmes probably getting dropped but somehow lasting and taking a close decision..

In the 90s I think Larry would easily outpoint George, who was too stationary and would get eaten alive by the jab

Comment

interesting question I picked holmes because of number of successful defences but have no problem with someone picking George for quality of opposition.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
            Resume,, foreman clearly has better resume with better wins ie Frazier, Norton, moorer

But h2h I think Holmes is a nightmare for big George.. I think in the 70s, it would be a war with Holmes probably getting dropped but somehow lasting and taking a close decision..

In the 90s I think Larry would easily outpoint George, who was too stationary and would get eaten alive by the jab
            Larry has some depth to his resume though. He's got Shavers, Norton (albeit worse version than the one Foreman fought), Snipes, Cooney, Berbick, Weaver, Smith, etc.

The argument you can make is that Larry ducked Greg Page and Pinklon Thomas. Those guys would've given Holmes tough fights because they both got good jabs and are well schooled. You can also say Holmes lost to Witherspoon and Carl Williams, I definitely think he did. Witherspoon neutralized his jab, Williams actually outjabbed him.

Comment

Larry Holmes was the better technical boxer, pure and simple. His jab was effective and dangerous, his footwork was precise and his punch selection exceptional, if not flashy. Holmes did just about everything well but none of it with the flair of the best guys in the 70s, which is why he was sometimes forgotten.

"Big" George Foreman was one of the divisions great physical specimens, containing dynamite in both fists and he had that imposing physical presence. I also hold that the conqueror of Frazier and Norton has the better overall rap sheet and the fact that he managed to win the heavyweight crown at 45 just enhances his legacy.

Foreman over Holmes...just about.

Comment

I love Big George

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTS_FKjrEGs

Comment

1. Ali
                  2. Louis
                  3. Holmes
                  4. Foreman

Comment

Originally posted by young_robbed View Post
                    Larry has some depth to his resume though. He's got Shavers, Norton (albeit worse version than the one Foreman fought), Snipes, Cooney, Berbick, Weaver, Smith, etc.

The argument you can make is that Larry ducked Greg Page and Pinklon Thomas. Those guys would've given Holmes tough fights because they both got good jabs and are well schooled. You can also say Holmes lost to Witherspoon and Carl Williams, I definitely think he did. Witherspoon neutralized his jab, Williams actually outjabbed him.
                    Larry def has depth on his resume, no doubt about that.. But none of his wins are as impressive as the destruction of Frazier, and Norton...plus the moorer win is fantastic as well...

Comment

Working...
                    X