Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's greater: Larry Holmes or George Foreman?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holmes was better, and I don't think Foreman could string together 20 straight title defenses in any era.

On the other hand, I do think Holmes could beat Frazier and Norton (and Ali and Young). His old guy win over Mercer basically equals Foreman's win over Moorer, with much less recognition.

Comment

Originally posted by Cardinal Buck View Post
      Holmes was better, and I don't think Foreman could string together 20 straight title defenses in any era.

On the other hand, I do think Holmes could beat Frazier and Norton (and Ali and Young). His old guy win over Mercer basically equals Foreman's win over Moorer, with much less recognition.
      well,,,holmes went life and death with a past his best norton whereas foreman destroyed him. I think foreman would have defeated the guys holmes defended against but theyre both greats

Comment

Originally posted by beez721 View Post
        well,,,holmes went life and death with a past his best norton whereas foreman destroyed him. I think foreman would have defeated the guys holmes defended against but theyre both greats
        Holmes' biceps was rolled up his arm and he still won. I don't see Foreman having the consistency to get through 20 defenses. And I wouldn't expect Holmes to dominate like Foreman, but I wouldn't expect the loses either. The toughest fight for him would probably be Frazier, who was slightly past prime when he fought Foreman the first time.
        Last edited by Cardinal Buck; 05-28-2014, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Holmes' biceps was rolled up his arm and he still won. I don't see Foreman having the consistency to get through 20 defenses. And I wouldn't expect Holmes to dominate like Foreman, but I wouldn't expect the loses either. The toughest fight for him would probably be Frazier, who was slightly past prime when he fought Foreman the first time.
          Yes a lot people do not take into account Larry's injury in the Norton fight.

Comment

Originally posted by beez721 View Post
            I also feel that moorer fight put foreman just ahead of holmes but its a very tough call. pissed me off when I saw an interview with holmes and bert sugar and holmes was dissing foremans accomplishments. hed have been such a more likeable champion if he wasnt always so bitter all the time
            i think thats why he gets so much hate, he's bitter about Ali, he's bitter about Foreman, he moans and whinges, he disrespected Marciano. The man wanted recognition like his predecessor but he never understood that no one could ever have that acclaim.

Comment

Who would win, Moorer or Mercer?

Comment

Who would win, Moorer or Mercer?
                That's a good matchup. Moorer would outbox him if he stays focused. But Mercer hit hard enough to damage Moorer's porcelain chin.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                  That's a good matchup. Moorer would outbox him if he stays focused. But Mercer hit hard enough to damage Moorer's porcelain chin.
                  I agree, another fight that almost got signed was moorer vs morrison. that would have been a doozy

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
                    i think thats why he gets so much hate, he's bitter about Ali, he's bitter about Foreman, he moans and whinges, he disrespected Marciano. The man wanted recognition like his predecessor but he never understood that no one could ever have that acclaim.
                    What I never understood was why Tyson had more acclaim than Holmes.

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
                      What I never understood was why Tyson had more acclaim than Holmes.
                      Because Tyson was more popular, both in and out of the ring. Most boxing writers are really just fans who get paid.

Comment

Working...
                      X