Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tonight, Juan Manuel Marquez solidified his ATG status.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steak View Post
    I already considered Marquez an ATG before this fight.

and Im really kind of surprised that people thought he won last night. I mean, I dont have a problem with people saying he won, but it definitely was NOT a robbery.

and I had Marquez winning the second fight. First fight is so close I end up changing my mind every time I watch it.

Ill try rescoring it later, but I didnt think Marquez was nearly as 'dominant' as some are making it out to be...I dont even think he won the fight, 6-6 in my mind. Perhaps its just people giving him rounds because he was doing the 'unexpected'.
    I think he so far exceeded expectations going in that it could be an influence. Could also be this was the sort of fight people will see differently. No robbery IMO.

Comment

Don't watch the HBO feed.. or at least mute it.. it was clear they were trying to save the potential money fight with Mayweather/Pacquiao. Lampley/Steward and Lederman were disgustingly bias

As for Marquez an ATG? hmm i guess his resume outside Pac is not exactly full of top fighters though

Comment

Originally posted by crold1 View Post
        I think he so far exceeded expectations going in that it could be an influence. Could also be this was the sort of fight people will see differently. No robbery IMO.
        It could be because Marquez landed the cleaner punches in almost every round.

Fight was an outright robbery.

I find giving Pacquaio 5 rounds a difficult task.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
          It could be because Marquez landed the cleaner punches in almost every round.

Fight was an outright robbery.

I find giving Pacquaio 5 rounds a difficult task.
          It wasn't an outright robbery. It was a razor thin scoring nightmare just like the first two. You'll recognize that to some extent when you're further away from the fight and get over the sound of 'incredulous' (not your word...just the right word for the feeling) scores that didn't agree with yours. It happens to everyone and this fight is the sort really sparking good debate.

Williams-Lara? Outright robbery, a pox on the sport.

Last night? It'll be argued about for ages. Good stuff. Look at the wide range of scores out there and then think about the wide range that doesn't exist for real robberies.
          Last edited by crold1; 11-13-2011, 02:58 PM.

Comment

What I wonder is, will this help or hinder the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight? Maybe after this flop against Marquez, Pacquiao will be more willing to fight Floyd to redeem himself, or maybe Floyd will fight Marquez? Or maybe Pacquiao will be unconfident now and will avoid fighting Mayweather because he knows he probably won't get another lucky decision. Any opinions?

Comment

Most on here and especially in this section know I don't consider Marquez to be an ATG.

I have always felt he is boarderline, on the verge of ATG status. Just behind it. Some agree with me, some don't. And that's all fine.

But, tonight, Juan Manuel Marquez left any doubt out of my mind. He is an ATG.

From this day forward I will adknowledge Marquez as having the W over Pacquaio in the 3rd fight. Like I do for Harold Johnson over Pastrano and Whitaker over Chavez.

I don't feel this fight was a robbery to the level of those fights. But what I do know, is Marquez won the fight. And he won it clearly.

Plenty on here also know I am a big Erik Morales fan, and have always considered Morales to be the levels above Marquez. Well, that's all changed now.

This win over Pacquaio has perpelled Marquez legacy to another dimension. Where is he ranked now?

But, he certainly is at the very least in the same sentance as the great Erik Morales and Marco Antonio Barrea.

Nice post. I'm curious to see whether Mayweather will get more credit for dominating Marquez as the years go by. All I read after that fight was that Marquez was "old", "fat",and "slow." Well last might he was three years older at that same weight. And he has not gotten any faster.

I was way off for this fight. Marquez had a lot more left than I thought nad he dereves major props and respect. I also think Marquez style had everything to do with Pacquiao looking bad. I don't buy the slipping" or leg cramps excuse for his performance. Pacquiao had not fought a sharp counter puncher since his last fight with Marquez. And it showed last night.

Comment

It wasn't an outright robbery. It was a razor thin scoring nightmare just like the first two. You'll recognize that to some extent when you're further away from the fight and get over the sound of 'incredulous' (not your word...just the right word for the feeling) scores that didn't agree with yours. It happens to everyone and this fight is the sort really sparking good debate.

Williams-Lara? Outright robbery, a pox on the sport.

Last night? It'll be argued about for ages. Good stuff. Look at the wide range of scores out there and then think about the wide range that doesn't exist for real robberies.
                We may aswell cut this conversation short here because I will simply never ever agree that Marquez did not win this fight.

He not only won it, but won it clearly. The juding was not a nightmare I found it relatively easy despite 2 or 3 rounds I considered close.

I don't consider it remotely like the first 2, either.

I consider it to be similar to the first fight just without any knockdowns.

Whether I watch the fight today or in the next years the result will be the same.

I have seen plenty of robberies before in my time and I will see plenty again. This just adds to that list.

Comment

We may aswell cut this conversation short here because I will simply never ever agree that Marquez did not win this fight.

He not only won it, but won it clearly. The juding was not a nightmare I found it relatively easy despite 2 or 3 rounds I considered close.

I don't consider it remotely like the first 2, either.

I consider it to be similar to the first fight just without any knockdowns.

Whether I watch the fight today or in the next years the result will be the same.

I have seen plenty of robberies before in my time and I will see plenty again. This just adds to that list.
                  You're right...the dozens of people who have all watched thousands of fights who thought it was close, saw it going one way OR the other, are all crazy and this is up there with Williams-Lara for robbery of the year.

Uh huh.

Even this part of the post-fight is awesome...boxing breeds a special certainty. Oh but for the real barber shops.
                  Last edited by crold1; 11-13-2011, 03:22 PM.

Comment

I'm not that interested in Pacweather any longer. The should have struck while the iron is hot. JMM won that fight by a wide margin.

Comment

You're right...the dozens of people who have all watched thousands of fights who thought it was close, saw it going one way OR the other, are all crazy and this is up there with Williams-Lara for robbery of the year.

Uh huh.

Even this part of the post-fight is awesome...boxing breeds a special certainty. Oh but for the real barber shops.
                      http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=520879

Just sayin'.

Comment

Working...
                      X