Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

History Section: Your Take On The Whole Pacquiao/Mayweather Saga?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
    I'd have no problem if Floyd rejected that silly weight clause. It was obviously a negotiating ploy. You would hope Commissioner Floyd's testing demands were too. It was unprecedented in the history of boxing, and since then has only happened in Mayweather fights. Pacquiao did agree to a modified limit for random blood testing, which he certainly didn't have to. And when they negotiated a second time, Pacquaio was even more acquiescent. But Floyd wasn't willing to do what it took to get it down.

Maybe I'm old school this way, but like I said before, if you think you can beat him, fight him. There is no doubt the money will be there for both of them. As a fan, I hope that Manny does what he has to so this gets done. But I can certainly understand how the most popular boxer in the world doesn't want to be dictated to and is concerned about having blood drawn too close to his biggest fight.
    How was it obviously a negotiating ploy?

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
      Why would you have no problem with that? I don't understand that.

If he didn't accept that demand, and the fight in result didn't happen, it would be over something so stupid.

Can he make weight? Yes, so why on Earth wouldn't he accept it?

Same logic applies to Pacquaio agreeing to simple testing.

If it's the reason the fight doesn't happen then just do it.

That's not true at all.

The 'alleged weight penalty' was well documented and was a demand made by Team Pacquio that was accepted with no bother by Mayweather.
      I don't know what he's talking about there. It was as real as Pacquiao choosing the ring, gloves, glove size, etc. People just believe what they want.

Comment

The same applies for accepting them.

I mean, it's nothing. It's a blood test, it's really nothing.

And the same applies for Pacquaio's weight penalty, does it not?

"Don't make an issue, just make the fight" Right?
        Right. And that's why it is both their faults for this fight taking so long to happen.

Comment

Why didn't he have to? Just do it. If that what it takes.

What did he agree to? 24 days when they were asking for 14? Why would you do that?

He didn't agree to the testing being asked for which is the point.

In late 09 when they were in negotiations it was undoubtedly and obviously Pacquaio's fault to why the fight didn't happen.

Maybe I'm old school in the sense that you should do anything to get the fight you want done. You got demands? **** it, I'll do whatever to get you in the ring so I can get my hands on you.

It works both ways.

I can't understand that;

1. He's not the biggest draw in this fight
          2. It's literally not a big issue at all having your blood taken.

As a fan, I agree, I hope Pac does what he has to do to get this fight done because it's not a big eal taking some extra testing and it ultimately is better for the sport.

Pacquiao agreed to the strictest drug testing ever imposed (at that time) on a title fight in the US. All he has to do is comply with the NSAC rules. You don't think he should be insulted to have these conditions thrown on him based on Floyd's lowlife father's accusations? It may not be a big issue to you, but having blood drawn too close to a fight in discomforting to some fighters. Yet he still agreed to comply and also give blood immediately after the fight. Very little margin for cheating in that period.

The two fighters are equal in drawing power, IMO. Floyd may have an edge in PPV numbers, but Pacquaio has proven he can fill a stadium, while Floyd always fights in the comfort of the MGM Grand Arena. And Pacquiao has more international appeal which makes a big difference in a fight of this magnitude. Mayweather understands this which is why they agreed to an even money split.

The bottom line is that you are berating Pacquiao for not doing what it takes to make the fight, while Floyd clearly isn't. Double standard much? If Floyd was truly confident he could beat Manny, he'd get it done already.

Comment

Why would you have no problem with that? I don't understand that.

If he didn't accept that demand, and the fight in result didn't happen, it would be over something so stupid.

Can he make weight? Yes, so why on Earth wouldn't he accept it?

Same logic applies to Pacquaio agreeing to simple testing.

If it's the reason the fight doesn't happen then just do it.

That's not true at all.

The 'alleged weight penalty' was well documented and was a demand made by Team Pacquio that was accepted with no bother by Mayweather.

If Pacquiao didn't take the fight because of the weight demand, all the wrath would fall on him. I agree that it is ridiculous. But the two clauses are hardly the same. There is a rule that you have to make the agreed upon weight. Floyd totally exploited it when he screwed over Marquez for what was a relatively meager penalty. That is documented.

Pacquiao has never failed a drug test and still agreed to enhanced testing. He just didn't bend over and allow Mayweather to dictate the exact terms. Both these clauses were negotiating points and should have been modified to reach an agreement. I wasn't in the meetings, but I'm confident that Pacquaio would have dropped the weight demand if Floyd dropped the drug testing demand. It's plainly obvious that Floyd has had no problem making 147 anyway, so it's no concession that he'd agree to it.

Comment

Pacquiao agreed to the strictest drug testing ever imposed (at that time) on a title fight in the US. All he has to do is comply with the NSAC rules. You don't think he should be insulted to have these conditions thrown on him based on Floyd's lowlife father's accusations? It may not be a big issue to you, but having blood drawn too close to a fight in discomforting to some fighters. Yet he still agreed to comply and also give blood immediately after the fight. Very little margin for cheating in that period.

The two fighters are equal in drawing power, IMO. Floyd may have an edge in PPV numbers, but Pacquaio has proven he can fill a stadium, while Floyd always fights in the comfort of the MGM Grand Arena. And Pacquiao has more international appeal which makes a big difference in a fight of this magnitude. Mayweather understands this which is why they agreed to an even money split.

The bottom line is that you are berating Pacquiao for not doing what it takes to make the fight, while Floyd clearly isn't. Double standard much? If Floyd was truly confident he could beat Manny, he'd get it done already.
              And if Pacquaio wanted the fight, he'd accept the testing. It works both ways in that regard.

Where's the double standard?

I'm berating Pacquaio for not doing a simple procedure that would have ultimately got the fight signed. And is the sole reason the fight fell through the first time around.

I critisize Mayweather for the second time round, in which he didn't pull his weight the fight. With extended vacations and idiocy. On the other hand, Team Pacquaio didn't exactly pull their weight either at that time.

I have stated that time and time again and even in this thread that both are to blame.

No I don't think Pac should be insulted by being asked to do extra drug testing at all. Nor do I expect Mayweather to be insulted by over the top weight penalties.

What I do absolutely expect is for a fighter to accept utterly simple demands being asked for him to make a fight happen. Especially a fight of this magnitude.

It doesn't matter what he's willing to do. The fact is he refused to do what was being asked of him, something so simple. Which in result stopped the fight from happening.

If it was something outrageous I would understand but it's genuinely not a big deal.

Comment

If Pacquiao didn't take the fight because of the weight demand, all the wrath would fall on him. I agree that it is ridiculous. But the two clauses are hardly the same. There is a rule that you have to make the agreed upon weight. Floyd totally exploited it when he screwed over Marquez for what was a relatively meager penalty. That is documented.
                They are both demands that are outside of the comission's rules and both very simple asks.

One accepted, the other didn't.

[Pacquiao has never failed a drug test and still agreed to enhanced testing. He just didn't bend over and allow Mayweather to dictate the exact terms. Both these clauses were negotiating points and should have been modified to reach an agreement. I wasn't in the meetings, but I'm confident that Pacquaio would have dropped the weight demand if Floyd dropped the drug testing demand. It's plainly obvious that Floyd has had no problem making 147 anyway, so it's no concession that he'd agree to it.
                Exactly. He hasn't failed a drug test. So he shouldn't have a problem with doing a few more.

It's not about being dictated to, it's about just doing it and getting on with it.

If that's what it takes to get the fight done then just do it.

Well I disagree I don't think he would. And that's beside the point anway. The fact is they both asked for specific things, both weren't big deals, and both should have been accepted if that's what it takes.

Yeah Floyd has no problem making 147. And as you said, Pac has never failed a drug test.

Conclusion;

Accept everything and let's fight.

Comment

Got bored of it a long time a go, hurrah if it happens, don't care if it doesn't.

Been too many big fights that should of been made but didn't in the past this is no exception and don't really feel any different about it compared to those fights despite the magnitude of it.

Comment

Actually it's not a matter of opinion. Mayweathers gates are all better than Pacquiaos, especially when you compare the stadium numbers to Mayweathers last 2 fights, which is all that matters. Pacquiao's international numbers aren't better than Mayweathers either.

Maybe, you should read the comments in this thread again.

And what was the Mr. Commissioner aka Pacquiaos excuse versus Morales, Cotto and DLH.

Comment

Originally posted by RubenSonny View Post
                      And what was the Mr. Commissioner aka Pacquiaos excuse versus Morales, Cotto and DLH.
                      I'm generally against catchweights, but his opponents agreed to the contracts. There was no catchweight for DLH. There was one for Margarito though. Comparing catchweights to drug testing is apples and oranges anyways.

Comment

Working...
                      X