Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

History Section: Your Take On The Whole Pacquiao/Mayweather Saga?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never could buy into Mayweather's enormous ego in demanding his own personal standard for drug testing. Being the best fighter in the world doesn't make you more authority than the boxing commission.

Mayweather has seen Pacquiao fight plenty of times. Either he thinks he can beat him, or he doesn't. Throwing obstacles to stop the fight from happening says a lot to me.

That being said, plenty of blame falls on Bob Arum for inflaming the entire situation.

Comment

Two boxers who figured out they can make as much money without risking a loss to each other. I'm guessing it will happen once they run out of options or in a worst case scenario when another one of them loses in an upset.

Comment

Originally posted by Mannie Phresh View Post
        fight hype did an accurate chronological article on the failed negotiations. basically the first negotiations were completely team pacs fault the second failed attempt is a mix of both. bob arum has lied the most in all of this though. he lied about floyd offering the a compromise of 2 weeks without random testing to pac in the first negotiations and the judge that moderated it came out and defended the truth.
        fight hype has clear bias towards floyd from what I see from their twitter, just saying.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
          I never could buy into Mayweather's enormous ego in demanding his own personal standard for drug testing. Being the best fighter in the world doesn't make you more authority than the boxing commission.

Mayweather has seen Pacquiao fight plenty of times. Either he thinks he can beat him, or he doesn't. Throwing obstacles to stop the fight from happening says a lot to me.

That being said, plenty of blame falls on Bob Arum for inflaming the entire situation.
          Then don't make it an obstacle.

Why does he have to be an obstacle? If they accept it, it's no longer an obstacle.

Let's say, for arguments sake, Mayweather turned down Team Pacquaio's 'demand' of 10 Million Dollars per weight Lb he comes in overweight, does that make it an obstacle? Does that in result mean Team Pac are throwing obstacles because they don't want the fight?

There's a real simple solution to this obstacle;

Just accept it. If you really want the fight, accept it.

By doing so, clear your name, and get the fight you want signed.

Two things can happen to Pac in this situation;

1. Mayweather will find another way to get out the fight.
          2. The fight get's signed.

But, instead of chosing a win win situation. It's instead an obstacle, an easily avoidable one, at that.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post

Why does he have to be an obstacle? If they accept it, it's no longer an obstacle.

Let's say, for arguments sake, Mayweather turned down Team Pacquaio's 'demand' of 10 Million Dollars per weight Lb he comes in overweight, does that make it an obstacle? Does that in result mean Team Pac are throwing obstacles because they don't want the fight?

But, instead of chosing a win win situation. It's instead an obstacle, an easily avoidable one, at that.
            I think his point was that if you thought you could win than there is no reason to make an issue in the first place.....just make the fight.

Comment

I think his point was that if you thought you could win than there is no reason to make an issue in the first place.....just make the fight.

Comment

I'd have no problem if Floyd rejected that silly weight clause. It was obviously a negotiating ploy. You would hope Commissioner Floyd's testing demands were too. It was unprecedented in the history of boxing, and since then has only happened in Mayweather fights. Pacquiao did agree to a modified limit for random blood testing, which he certainly didn't have to. And when they negotiated a second time, Pacquaio was even more acquiescent. But Floyd wasn't willing to do what it took to get it down.

Maybe I'm old school this way, but like I said before, if you think you can beat him, fight him. There is no doubt the money will be there for both of them. As a fan, I hope that Manny does what he has to so this gets done. But I can certainly understand how the most popular boxer in the world doesn't want to be dictated to and is concerned about having blood drawn too close to his biggest fight.

Comment

I'd have no problem if Floyd rejected that silly weight clause. It was obviously a negotiating ploy. You would hope Commissioner Floyd's testing demands were too. It was unprecedented in the history of boxing, and since then has only happened in Mayweather fights. Pacquiao did agree to a modified limit for random blood testing, which he certainly didn't have to. And when they negotiated a second time, Pacquaio was even more acquiescent. But Floyd wasn't willing to do what it took to get it down.

Maybe I'm old school this way, but like I said before, if you think you can beat him, fight him. There is no doubt the money will be there for both of them. As a fan, I hope that Manny does what he has to so this gets done. But I can certainly understand how the most popular boxer in the world doesn't want to be dictated to and is concerned about having blood drawn too close to his biggest fight.
                  Which is the exact same situation with Pac and his weight penalties.

Manny being the most 'popular' boxer in the world is irrelevant, Mayweather is the bigger draw no matter which way you spin it.

Comment

Originally posted by RubenSonny View Post
                    Which is the exact same situation with Pac and his weight penalties.

Manny being the most 'popular' boxer in the world is irrelevant, Mayweather is the bigger draw no matter which way you spin it.
                    The weight penalties were a joke. If they were the actual reason the fight didn't happen Pacquiao would be scorned. The only place you ever read about this alleged penalty is on boxing message boards.

And Pacquiao being the most popular boxer in the world is "irrelevant"? In a fight negotiation? You've got to be kidding me. When it comes to international appeal, there is no comparison.

Comment

The weight penalties were a joke. If they were the actual reason the fight didn't happen Pacquiao would be scorned. The only place you ever read about this alleged penalty is on boxing message boards.
                      http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...dan&id=2666054

Sounds like someone is talking poo. I read this article when it came out and I wasnt on any message boards, nothing alleged about it. Don't see you saying anything about Pacquiao aka Mr. Commissioner.

Here are some more links for Pacquiaos unprecedented penalties:

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...ory?id=4766171

http://www.boxingscene.com/de-la-hoy...y-place--15647

And Pacquiao being the most popular boxer in the world is "irrelevant"? In a fight negotiation? You've got to be kidding me. When it comes to international appeal, there is no comparison.
                      Yes it is, the only reason why popularity would be relevant is because it usually translates into a fighters drawing power, drawing power is all that's relevant in the fight negotiation and Mayweather is the bigger draw.

Comment

Working...
                      X