No announcement yet.

Who had better boxing fundamentals Muhammad Ali or Roy Jones jr

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who had better boxing fundamentals Muhammad Ali or Roy Jones jr

I was wondering who had the better boxing fundamentals... as in technical boxing ability- I think it might be Ali- opinions? thoughts?

both guys had some bad habits they were able to get away with because of their incredible talent

ali had the better jab and more fundamental footwork in my opinion.

the jab part really isnt an opinion

Comment

oth had bad habits ali could get away with it later on cause he had a gpod chin

i think ali used his jab more often and it was better than rrj's

but rjj knew how to punch and he didnt slap and flick punches like ali did

Comment

Both had a severe lack of fundementals and didn't do the 'right' things in Boxing but they had freakish natural talent and ability which meant they didn't have to.

Out of the two I would say Ali was the more 'fundemental' of the two.

Comment

There really isn't really a right way to box, and 'technical' doesn't really mean anything.

Comment

Originally posted by RubenSonny View Post
            There really isn't really a right way to box, and 'technical' doesn't really mean anything.
            I agree that's why I put 'right' in inverted commas.

I think the TS is asking to make your pick using that 'right way to box' logic though. If you follow.

Comment

Ali, simply put when he lost his speed he was still top. His skills were solid. When RJJ lost the speed, he started getting sparked.

Comment

Im going to go against the grain and pick Jones. Im a firm believer that body punching is one of the most fundementally important things you can do in the ring to break down a fighter and Ali never did that. Had he, he may have been an even greater fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                  Im going to go against the grain and pick Jones. Im a firm believer that body punching is one of the most fundementally important things you can do in the ring to break down a fighter and Ali never did that. Had he, he may have been an even greater fighter.
                  That's a good point.

Comment

All around fundamentals, Ali. Both got by with athleticism but after they got older Ali has the fundamentals to fall back on.

Comment

Working...
                    X