No announcement yet.

Top to ATG WW?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pastrano View Post
    Cuevas made 11 title defenses you moron, which is only bested by 2 men, Armstrong, 20? and Trinidad, 15.
    Cuevas was a titlst but was never considered the Lineal Champion at 147.

He has 11 title defences which is no easy feat and he beat some solid fighters. Cuevas is a very good WW, but ATG WW? Not really.

His best wins are Angel Espada, Clyde Gray, Harold Western, Pete Ranzay and Randy Shields and a few other contenders on the way.

Like I said, good WW title reign no doubt. But ATG WW? Can't see it personally.

Comment

Im sorry TS,but you have really shown yourself too be an overly biased nuthugger here,when it comes too DLH that is

A few people disagreed with you and you tell them they know nothing about boxing and should stop posting immediately,thats all well and good,but i suggest you listen too some of the more knowledgable guys on the forum rather than just saying that,as they might help broaden your knowledge of the sport

Comment

Originally posted by The_Demon View Post
        Im sorry TS,but you have really shown yourself too be an overly biased nuthugger here,when it comes too DLH that is

A few people disagreed with you and you tell them they know nothing about boxing and should stop posting immediately,thats all well and good,but i suggest you listen too some of the more knowledgable guys on the forum rather than just saying that,as they might help broaden your knowledge of the sport
        I believe Oscar is a top 10 welterweight as well. Oscar was brilliant, and phenomenal to watch. He easily outboxed Tito Trinidad and really made him look amateur. His boxing skills were amazing and he has one of the top resumes Even though he had bogus decisions against him vs Trinidad and Mosley, nobody can deny that his resume is stacked and there aren't many fighters who can come close to fighting the level of competition that he did - despite him getting L's (undeservedly so even).

Comment

Originally posted by jrosales13 View Post
          Oscar De la Hoya?

Oscar shouldn't sniff the top 25 at Welter. The most impressive he ever was at the weight was the last round of Quartey (after he froze on the end of a jab for the previous five rounds, a decision he should have lost) and the first Mosley loss where he began cementing his big fight penchant for blowing leads. Pernell Whitaker made a fool out of him and got jobbed. He ran like hell from Trinidad after getting clipped with a shot in the 9th and then threw Gil Clancy under the bus.

His resume at Welter is being the A-side in big fights where he wasn't good enough and beating not a whole hell of a lot outside that.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post
            I believe Oscar is a top 10 welterweight as well. Oscar was brilliant, and phenomenal to watch. He easily outboxed Tito Trinidad and really made him look amateur. His boxing skills were amazing and he has one of the top resumes Even though he had bogus decisions against him vs Trinidad and Mosley, nobody can deny that his resume is stacked and there aren't many fighters who can come close to fighting the level of competition that he did - despite him getting L's (undeservedly so even).
            I never said anything about Oscar not being a great fighter,was simply making a point too TS and the way he is conducting himself in this thread

Comment

Originally posted by crold1 View Post
              Oscar shouldn't sniff the top 25 at Welter. The most impressive he ever was at the weight was the last round of Quartey (after he froze on the end of a jab for the previous five rounds, a decision he should have lost) and the first Mosley loss where he began cementing his big fight penchant for blowing leads. Pernell Whitaker made a fool out of him and got jobbed. He ran like hell from Trinidad after getting clipped with a shot in the 9th and then threw Gil Clancy under the bus.

His resume at Welter is being the A-side in big fights where he wasn't good enough and beating not a whole hell of a lot outside that.
              I was going to post something, but it wouldn't be better than this^^^^

Oscar De La Hoya may be the most overrated fighter in my lifetime. His late round retreat from Trinidad was a disgrace. If Wladimir Klitschko ever pulled a stunt like that we'd be hearing about it forever. But Teflon Oscar got a pass for stinking out the biggest fight of the year.

Comment

Actually, on second thought youre right. Leonard did beat Benitez and Hearns. His second fight with Duran I dont count a win tho. DLH beats Leonard imo. He also beat more great fighters, oficially or not, at 147. And made more defenses.
                now i understand still thinking one fighter is better than the other after a fight

BUT you have to honor the wins and losses as they stand.... nothing changes them

Comment

Originally posted by - v e t - View Post
                  now i understand still thinking one fighter is better than the other after a fight

BUT you have to honor the wins and losses as they stand.... nothing changes them

I can understand dismissing an obviously terrible decision, but Duran just quit in a fight that wasn't going his way.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post
                    Thank you, finally somebody else speaks some reason here. People hug Tito way too much while they hate on Oscar because he was so popular and got all the chicks, still does. Such people are really losers. They forget how Oscar PLAYED with Tito for 9 rounds, something nobody ever did, not even Hopkins who is a bigger and stronger man. They forget how Oscar totally annihilated very hyped and promising fighters like Rafael Ruelas, Jesse James Leija, beat John John Molina, Genaro Hernandez and Miguel Angel Gonzalez.

Comment

They forget how Oscar PLAYED with Tito for 9 rounds
                      Total myth perpetrated by TV over the years. Oscar's best work was in sweeping rounds 5-8 (though even Lederman gave him 5 I believe...I disagreed). The first four were relatively close with little happening in many of them in terms of sustained action or clean punches. Trinidad stalked; Oscar hit a lot of air and elbows. The 9th is a huge swing round. Oscar wins the first minute or so, gets clipped with a right, goes bug eyed, and starts his marathon routine. His corner tells him to BOX...never to flee. That was ALL Oscar.

Tito didn't really win as much as deserve the decision or a draw with a point at most to spare.

Comment

Working...
                      X